Compact 22 LR autoloader for plinking?

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Ruger 10/22 also, with a Butler Creek folding stock on it. Very nice and accurate. I highly recommend it.

I also have a Glenfield .22 rifle (made by Marlin) that I bought brand new at K Mart for $16 when I was a kid (13 yrs old), it was the first gun I ever bought. It still works fine and is very accurate, although the magazine tube studs are wearing out.

I have a Browning Buckmark that's fun to shoot and very accurate. I'd recommend it also.

I also have a Taurus .22 9 shot 4" small frame revolver that has the worst action of any gun I've ever shot. When I first bought it it misfired all the time. I sent it back to the factory and it came back with the stiffest roughest trigger pull you've ever seen (but it doesn't misfire anymore). I wouldn't recommend or buy another Taurus again ever.

My K-22 masterpiece is a great .22 revolver, but it's not very compact.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Stingray that's a shame about your experience with Taurus, however I've handled and fired at least three Taurus models, and I have been happy with their Quality. One was a model 66 blued .38 special, a .357 stainless six shot whose model escapes me, and another was a PT99 stainless (with a slight trigger mod).

Out of the box the two revolvers performed well, however the PT99 had to wear in a bit, having a handful of stoppages in the first couple of hundred rounds, and it slowly achieved an adequate trigger reset (it stuck a bit to start with in dry firing)...

vtunderground

Enlightened
I used to have a Ruger 22/45... The grip didn't fit my hand, and I couldn't reach the slide release. Not terribly reliable either. Very accurate though. I've gone through a few more .22 handguns since then, before settling on a Browning Buckmark. It's as accurate as the Ruger, but more reliable, and it fits my hand a lot better.

I have Remington 597 .22 rifle ($140 or so at Wal-Mart). The trigger pull was terrible until I added a Volquartsen hammer. It shoots much better now, but if I had to do it again I'd buy a Ruger 10/22.

notos&w

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
Can anyone post a link to the fabeled Ruger 22/45?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go

I forgot about the Beretta Neos. Haven't shot one myself, but the reviews are very good.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife got me a Ruger 22/45 for my birthday a couple of years ago. Great little gun for plinking and varmint control. There are certain kinds of ammo it doesn't like, but for the most part it is a very reliable gun. I like it a lot. One of the few things I don't like about it is that all of the Ruger Mark series accessories (especially aftermarket grips) don't always fit the gun.

-Keith

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
10/22 for rifle. I have a Stainless on Wood that I got at Kmart before they left our area.

22/45 for pistol. The only ammo mine would shoot reliably WAS CCI Stingers. After doing a Volquartson retractor (that may not be the right word, but my mind is toast!) it handles anything, and is WAY more accurate than I am!

theepdinker

Enlightened
Stainless,
I shoot a Marlin 60 (now available SS). My son shoots a 10/22. Both good guns. Both can be very accurate.
My best shot this year, ground squirrel, 167 yds (laser ranged after the shot), no sighting shots, first try.

At 6'1" I prefer the Marlin's stock length & balance.
The 10/22 carbine is much to short for me to shoot comfortably. Ruger's new 10/22 RIFLE might solve this problem.
Key to happiness is fit. You gotta try it on for size before you buy it.

A pistol to consider if you can find it. S&W 422 or 622 they are worth the effort. Sweet shooter, lots of fun, the most reliable pistol I've ever owned.

Theepdinker

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I've acquired (5).22's over the last two years and have yet to fire the first round from any of them. Where does the time go? It's a crying shame as I had planned to teach my daughter to shoot well before now. I am going to commit here and now that this fall we are going to burn up my two ammo bricks that are probably very tarnished by now.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the "next generation" nylon 66. I had a nylon 66 but the ex took it in the divorce. The Remington viper model 522 is a nice light weight semi auto with rail mounts for laser/red dot/scopes and I have shot apples out of the trees by hitting the stems at 50 yards and that is accurate enough for my needs, I like the S&W 622 in autoloading pistols, it is so light lots of people assume it's not a real gun and the sight plane allows you to utilize the 6 inches of barrel to hit the target.Generally speaking(there always exceptions to the rule) the longer the barrel the more consistant the accuracy.

Gman

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
Do you know how well the flashlights that you took to the Ukraine are holding up?

[/ QUOTE ]

No reports back as yet but they were the cat's meow when presented. At Choronbyl they had never seen anything like a Luxeon light and were quite impressed. (Pulling out my tiny Canon CP 300 photo printer and making beautiful 4 X 6 prints right there on the spot also blew them away).

As did my top of the line electronic dosimeter, all they have are older units. I did bring them a bunch of quality AA batteries to go with the Streamlight JRs. Kyiv is getting very techno but in the countryside Ukrainian life is still pretty simple. Gotta remember, a Streamlight JR costs more than half a month's pay for most of these folks so they're tickled to get anything like that. Not to mention the bragging rights it gives them, if it's made in the USA it's considered treasure.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stingray said:
I also have a Glenfield .22 rifle (made by Marlin) that I bought brand new at K Mart for $16 when I was a kid (13 yrs old), it was the first gun I ever bought. It still works fine and is very accurate, although the magazine tube studs are wearing out.

[/ QUOTE ]
My Dad has that rifle too! Its been at my house more than it has been at my parents house. Reliable and accurate, something about a bolt action 22 just makes life funner...