Computer help [viral issue]

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only software I installed on there that do not have seconds is EagleCAD:ohgeez:

if you can get it booting and usable again, you can use belarc advisor to possibly extract the product key. Otherwise, I hope you registered your software.

Glad you got your computer back up. They can be a pain sometimes.

Illum

Flashaholic
turned out I was played...what I thought was the microsoft security essentials screen wasn't really microsoft essentials, it was a virus that mimicks security essentials. Only way to know it is that it behaved like a popup. My brother [IT tech] returned from NY this morning for a brief vacation. After listening to my issues he decided it would be best to just overhaul C:\. Turns out there were just a handful and one or more is spending spam to all the addresses in my Email address book:ohgeez:

bshanahan14rulz, the version I downloaded was free, it had limitations to the board sizes but all I use it for is drawing schematics, not board layout, so I'm fine :)

Thats a good question Kestrel, I'm reviewing all the forums I visit over the years and [both SFW and NSFW] I can't recall any latent hazards as I use two computers for the same browsing and this ones clean:thinking:. only way Things could have gotten as bad as that is if it downloaded itself, installed undetected, and ran for several block hours until the kernel memory was so saturated the computer slowed until it resembled overheating. Everything that I download or install thats not a media file [pictures, music, video] opens a splash screen that tells me exactly whats being executed or downloaded. If it managed to pass that, its likely that it is branded as "microsoft" on the company name:thinking:

sabre7

Enlightened
Very informative thread with lots of good advice! I think I recently had the same problem. It seems MSE is very highly regarded, are those who prefer it to Avast, if so why?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a virus on my machine as well. It would only let you go to 1 website where you had to purchase their "fix" to get rid of it. I am not as computer saavy as you guys and I didn't know how to fix it. My machine is 6 weeks old or so, I was able to download the trial Norton (30 day) that came with the machine. I got into the files on the "C" drive and looked at the dates where things had been added/changed etc. Since my machine is virtually "empty" there wasn't alot there but two things on Aug 12. One was the "common files". I right clicked it and scanned with Norton. It removed the issue in about two minutes and my computer has worked fine since. The "trojan" also changed the connections settings in the toolbar as well so I couldn't access the internet. I got very lucky I think, my machine was locked up tight as a drum. I can post the virus name if it helps anybody else out.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is called Trojan:Win32/Hiloti.Gen!D. It shut me down totally for a day or so. I thought I was gonna have to call somebody.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PC was recently infected with the "Antivirus System Pro" virus. This one presents itself as an "anti-virus program", that detected serious threats on my HD... prompting me to enter my CC# and purchase software packages from their www site to alleviate the "threats". I did google search and found a great step by step procedure to remove the obnoxious bugger.

I also installed malwarebytes and ran that too.
I ran a hijackthis scan and my PC thus far is clean.

So far... so good:twothumbs
Yep that's the dirty little bugger! What a pain!

Illum

Flashaholic
It is called Trojan:Win32/Hiloti.Gen!D. It shut me down totally for a day or so. I thought I was gonna have to call somebody.

I think I've touched that one off before...unless your using the right software even safe mode couldn't save you.

Makes me wonder whats the point of viruses...its like building a project and no be able to see it in action once the host computer is manually isolated from the internet. if I was the virus architect I'd be pretty disappointed and probably stop the mess.:shrug:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Illum or kramer5150, do you have any suspects as to which websites you were on prior to this software installing itself on your computers? (I visited only ~6 or so websites in the entire week prior to this infection, so it's a pretty short suspect list on my end.) Also, what websites (besides its own website) was the software attempting to open on your computer? Feel free to PM me on those Q's, I'm curious. Believe me, nothing that you could report would be stranger than what I've just experienced on this.

I only frequent these forums (and CPF too of course) and none have ever given me any problems

watchgeeks-dot-net
SF-49ers
youtube
DX
Flashlight News Forum
CPF marketplace
Ebay
facebook
Shiningbeam
shop-NBC
Imageshack
budgetlightforum
CPF marketplace
Lighthound

I am almost positive I got it from the microtorrent P2P network I was downloading Seinfeld and All in the Family episodes from.

maxotar

Newly Enlightened
HijackThis has saved me many times from the viruses that my family members have unwittingly downloaded while trying to install an actual program.

HijackThis and AVG Free are good enough for anything i have run into.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Just had a virus on mine a couple of days ago thanks to a ad that clicked X on instead of ctrl/alt/delete. My mistake I guess. :green: Anyway, the virus installed some kind of Security Suite software on my PC and wouldn't let me do anything, the internet just took me straight to their site to remove it was $60, it wouldn't even let me run my backup disc. But thanks to a computer programmer friend of mine, she said to bring up Security Suite in the task manager and stop it from running long enough to do a System Restore, I did and it worked! A simple fix to a complex problem! This however was the first virus Id had in over 3 years, being that I don't use any form of virus protecting software, slows the computer's process' down way to much for my taste.

Illum

Flashaholic
Just had a virus on mine a couple of days ago thanks to a ad that clicked X on instead of ctrl/alt/delete. My mistake I guess. :green: Anyway, the virus installed some kind of Security Suite software on my PC and wouldn't let me do anything, the internet just took me straight to their site to remove it was $60, it wouldn't even let me run my backup disc. But thanks to a computer programmer friend of mine, she said to bring up Security Suite in the task manager and stop it from running long enough to do a System Restore, I did and it worked! A simple fix to a complex problem! This however was the first virus Id had in over 3 years, being that I don't use any form of virus protecting software, slows the computer's process' down way to much for my taste.

I now run ubuntu on this system, with xp in a virtual setting, if it gets destroyed...just revert to earlier snapshot:twothumbs

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you bring security suite to task manager? Mine would not system restore, delete cookies, access internet, nothing at all. No browser functions would work. The only place I could go was the false security suite site.

mrartillery

Enlightened
How do you bring security suite to task manager? Mine would not system restore, delete cookies, access internet, nothing at all. No browser functions would work. The only place I could go was the false security suite site.

Same thing that mine did. Restart your computer and as soon as it boots up you will see a small shield down on the bottom task bar, click on it, this will bring up the Security Suite box, it should say its doing a system scan. While its doing this bring up task manager and hit "end task" on security suite. This will stop it from running long enough to go into control panel and do a system restore.

janet986w

Newly Enlightened
another option which would probably be faster is:

1. boot into safe mode
2. run a sdfix scan
3. reboot, run hijackthis to remove empty startup entries .. look for items that continue to appear after you remove them.
4. use avenger to remove said items that keep reappearing.

simple viruses may be done by step 2.

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Latest posts