Convoy M2 o-ring issue

EBuff75

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Convy M2 (XM-L2 T6-3B) and I like the light, but I have an issue with it that I'm hoping someone here can advise me on. When I received it, I noticed that the bezel was a little loose (about a 1mm gap) as below:

Convoy M2 bezel gap by EBuff75, on Flickr

When I tightened it, the o-ring that sits between the lens and the reflector squeezed out so that it was hanging down into the reflector. I removed the bezel and lens and put the o-ring back into place, but each time I screw the bezel back on the o-ring starts to squash out of place again. You can see it starting to come loose on the left side in this picture:

Convoy M2 o-ring showing by EBuff75, on Flickr

Is there a simple fix for this, or should I send back as for a replacement (and presumably wait another 6 weeks for shipping)? To my eyes, the o-ring appears to be slightly too small in diameter, as it doesn't want to sit back fully against the threads on the inside of the head. It also appears that something may not be correctly assembled inside the head, as I can't even tighten the bezel all the way with the o-ring in place (unless it squashes out of the way entirely). There's too much resistance / lack of clearance.

I considered just removing the o-ring, but then the lens rattles and obviously I would risk moisture/water getting into the light. It's for my CERT bag, so being at least water resistent is probably a good idea!

I have a few days to decide if I'm going to send it for a replacement and wanted to see if there were any suggestions on a quick/easy fix. Keep in mind that I don't have much in the way of specialized tools, so anything too technical might not be a possibility for me! :fail: Thanks!

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
You could try a trip to the local hardware or plumbing supply store to see if they have a better fitting "O" ring.

Bob

EBuff75

Newly Enlightened
That's worth a shot. I'll try that tomorrow after work to see if they have anything that might work. Anyone happen to know the exact specs for that o-ring, just to help speed things along? I think it's somewhere around 27-28mm.

kicsibors

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just received my Convoy M2 host, and upon assembling it, I found the o-ring to be problematic as well.

What was your resolution?

To the group,
Does anyone know by chance what the sealing surfaces are that the o-ring contacts? The bezel has a groove that to my mechanic-mind says "o-ring groove" but the threads start all the way at the end of the tube with no space for an o-ring.

Currently, the o-ring is squeezed between bezel and lens, with no guarantee of sealing the light along the threads.

Any and all recommendations are welcome. Thanks

Latest posts