Could someone tell me how my flashlights match up?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Could someone tell me how my flashlights match

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
whoa thanks alot for your time..
i was thinking i'd get a couple suggestions, but a dozen! damn.

i feel like i'm being trained.

[/ QUOTE ]

word of advise, cut back on buying incandescent(xenon, krypton, halogen) flashlights

while i like most of my incandescents, the blowing bulb syndrome is getting old. LED's are rapidly approaching the "throw" of incancescents.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

screehopper: by saying he "can't recommend the princetontec surge enough", he means to say that the surge is so good his recommendations wouldn't do it justice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i second what 4x4 said....i do look at some of the incandescents i've bought with regret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Screehopper

Enlightened

chamenos: yeah, my mistake. My eye must of missed the word "enough". I edited my previous post to reflect that now.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i do that every once in a while too when i skim through new posts too fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
...i have an itch that can only be scratched by the brightest and farthest throwing lights...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinded,

The Pelican M6 has the longest throw of all the lights mentioned. This is not to say it is the "best" or superior to other lights in all aspects, but it has recently achieved equal status with the TACM III and the ASP Taclite (Triad) as one of the three longest throwing 2x123 lights currently produced. All three lights will outthrow any non-turbo Surefire up to and including all 3x123's running the P91 (HOLA).

Please bear in mind the difference between "brightness" and total amount of light, "lumens".

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Must haves, based on the 80 plus lights I now own (two more on the way from Brightguys...)

ARC AAA. Small size, nice beam, decent+ runtime.
Infinity Ultra AA. A bit larger, Nice beam, very good runtime.
Princeton Tec PT40 4AA. Killer for it's size! BRIGHT, WIDELY DISPERSED beam.
Brinkmann LX 2-123A. Head is a bit big, but it was my first Lith light and wows me pretty good even now!
Pelican M6. A bit sleeker than LX, throws farther, TOUGH Build!
Minim*g or Brinkmann Legend 2AA with Madmax. I can't say enough good things about my mini/Madmax. It is my Every Day Carry. I can't see anything on the horizon that could bump it either.

As I say, I have 80 plus lights, and these are the ones that really stick in my mind!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

In terms of being a bit on the practical (yeah, RIGHT!) side, When on a tight income (as I am), the Legend LX is a super value for when you need something really bright for short periods.

The Rebel is good. I have used it outside with neighborhood ambient light, and it does well enough.

The PT Impact is very good, brighter than the Rebel, with smoother hotspot.

The Inova X5T is also very good. Surprisingly good throw for a 'flood'.

For close up work, your choice of CMG Ultra or Arc AAA, depending on your battery preference.

Another must have, is the Arc LS LED. comes in 2 basic flavors: LSL (low dome) and LSH (high dome), and standard or premium. Runtimes are the same for both. It is worth every penny.

For weather related power outages, a Lightwave 3000 or 4000 is an excellent choice.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would get both the Arc AAA and CMG Ultra G. The Tec 40 with a 3 cell maglite bulb and NiMHs is very bright and white, and will easily blow away your 2D cell light.

bwcaw

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
Do they match up? Well, no. Counting that many of us spend around $1500 a year on flashlights..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only $1500..... Wimp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Blinded, get yourself a surefire G2 and an arc aaa. The G2 can be carried with you unobtrusively, and so can the AAA. My theory on flashlights/knives/guns is that if you don't have it with you when you need it, why have it in the first place? BTW welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the confusion over my post... what I meant to say is this:

"If you want bright incandescent light with decent runtime that isn't too big, the Surge is a pretty damn good light and you should get one!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

r2

Enlightened

I'll chime in with another endorcement of the Arc AAA. I just ordered 5 more to use as gifts.

I'd add the Elektrolumens Blaster III to the lights others have recommended. It's a big one (3 D cells) which isn't great for carrying around but is an ideal emergency light for power outages. It's bright, tough, and runs for a long time.

If you are looking for an LS based light, the Arc LS is on sale right now at a very good price. If you buy a BB400 sandwich and a Brinkmann Legend 2AA to go with it you'll be running around $60 (which is an excellent combination--one of my primary lights) and right now the Arc LS is about that price. It wins for compact yet bright and runs off a single 123 cell. At full price I don't find it quite as compelling, but the sale price going on right now is tough to pass up.

For me, the Arc AAA covers most situations. If it's completely dark, an Arc AAA is enough light to get around and it's always on my keychain. If there is too much ambient light to make the AAA useful, then there's also less need for any light. The next step up for "useful" lights is an LS-based light. The Arc LS as I mentioned is a terrific light for this category.

The next jump up (I'd skip anything between) is a 2x123 cell light (like your Brinkman Legend LX) or a 5 watt LS based light. They are pricier to run and the 5W LS lights are expensive to buy.

I don't find much use for lights that fall in-between these groupings. LEDs rule the lower end of the brightness scale with good reason. The 5W LS is starting to take over the 2x123 size/brightness (the light output is about the same but more spread and less throw than the same sized incandescent light). Personally I'm getting a 5W modded Pelican M6 and then I won't bother with anything incandescent at all.

It's a slippery slope. There are lots of great lights out there and the mod projects that go on around here are unbelievable. Welcome!

- Russ

Latest posts