"Cracken" - Quad XRE R2 Build Diary.

gav6280

Enlightened
Is LiPo such a good idea:thinking:
what happens when you get a leak and saltwater creates a full short circuit over your LiPo pack. I mean pressure build up in a closed enviroment is :poof:deluxe.

I would go for LiMa or nihm.

Greetz Johan

You make sure it's had sufficient testing like im doing now so that it doesn't leak! And when it does the water must have gotten in some how, so i figure the expanding gasses will then take the same route out. Plus the housing is strong enough to contain the pressure anyway.

Last edited:

SUBjohan

Newly Enlightened
You make sure it's had sufficient testing like im doing now so that it doesn't leak! And when it does the water must have gotten in some how, so i figure the expanding gasses will then take the same route out. Plus the housing is strong enough to contain the pressure anyway.

I have build 3 dive lights from scratch now none of them have leaked (all have been tested to 10bar) my light have made >100 dives, but 1 thing is for sure one day they will leak. In my opinion all dive lights will one day leak comercially or diy.

It is possible that the expanding gasses put the O-ring back in place so that the gasses are trapped again :(

I did not do the math on this one but if I see the movies about LiPo on fires the pressure insdie a small canister must be enorm >10bar.

Greetz Johan
Sorry for my poor english

steve6690

Enlightened
I have build 3 dive lights from scratch now none of them have leaked (all have been tested to 10bar) my light have made >100 dives, but 1 thing is for sure one day they will leak. In my opinion all dive lights will one day leak comercially or diy.

It is possible that the expanding gasses put the O-ring back in place so that the gasses are trapped again :(

I did not do the math on this one but if I see the movies about LiPo on fires the pressure insdie a small canister must be enorm >10bar.

Greetz Johan
Sorry for my poor english

One solution would be to use an overpressure valve set at 0.5 bar. I think I've seen a light with this feature somewhere on a German web site.

SUBjohan

Newly Enlightened
If you have already built 3 lights, lets be seeing them,time to show them off i think.

I am not trying to hijack your thread nor am I trying to upset you, if I did then I am sorry for this. I am only trying to give some advice.

Ok my first light is out of my hands so no pics for this one (I sold it).
canister style 50W halogen
14,4V 5Ah battery pack

2nd light I made (and my current)
Canister style 24W HID
14,4V 10Ah battery pack
Head is Type II anodised (did it myself :D)
Switch reed contact / BUZ11 combination
001.jpg

3rd light was for my girlfriend
Canister style 3x SSC P4 driven @ 1A
14,4V 2,8Ah battery pack
Head is Type II anodised
Switch is a reed contact / BUZ11 combination mounted in the head.
Later also a goodman handle was added.
002.JPG

003.JPG

I have some new plans for more divelights:D

Greetz Johan

Last edited:

SUBjohan

Newly Enlightened
One solution would be to use an overpressure valve set at 0.5 bar. I think I've seen a light with this feature somewhere on a German web site.

I know this thing you can buy it here it is called Überdruckventil and costs €17,- I think that is a lot of money for something you should not need.

Greetz Johan

steve6690

Enlightened
I know this thing you can buy it here it is called Überdruckventil and costs €17,- I think that is a lot of money for something you should not need.

Greetz Johan

I agree. The dive lights I have made require you to open the case for charging. I make Li-ion packs using 18650 batteries with protection pcb and have not had any problems with excess gassing during discharge.

SUBjohan

Newly Enlightened
Thought i would send it offer for a test in a marine engineers pressure pot and the result:

It leaked!

They made lots of recommendations though.

What kind of O-rings did you used? And what is the compression rate of the O-rings?
In my lights I used simple NBR 70° shore O-rings at a compression rate of 25% this means that a 4mm O-ring is only compressed 1mm maximum.
This means that the grove for a 4mm O-ring should be 3 mm deep and than I usely make it 5mm wide.

The reason for asking is because I think your design is very nice and it should have worked.

Here and here is some intresting O-ring information.

Greetz Johan

Last edited:

Latest posts