Cree and Flupic

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be concerned with the FluPic drive level on burst/high, I was running one of the XR-E's direct drive, 18650 with no resistor for a few hours last night...no problems so far.

TB

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
I wouldn't be concerned with the FluPic drive level on burst/high, I was running one of the XR-E's direct drive, 18650 with no resistor for a few hours last night...no problems so far.

TB

I'm more concerned about the LDO in the FluPIC than the LED itself. The LED is very low Vf and because it's a linear regulator, the LDO has to dissipate all of the power from dropping the voltage down to Vf. I haven't identified the LDO used on the FluPIC but I doubt it can dissipate a whole lot power. Most SOT-23 packages have a theta (J-A) of around 150-200 C/W. There isn't a lot of copper on the board so I expect that thermal resistance on the upper range to apply. However, a single RCR123 should sag under load so there's some relief there.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM, what do think will be the result of using the FluPic, will it reduce the life of board, kill it in minutes?

I'm planning on finishing one up sometime today, I've bench tested it, but no more 20 seconds on-time...

TB