Current *pencil-beam* throw king?

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
There is also the Weltool W3... but I'm thinking these LEP flashlights are the ones for pencil beam long throw. I wonder what would happen if someone throws a 3W blue 450nm laser diode in one of htese bad bos. Will that create higher output/range?

Does anyone have a Phoebus Excalibur MicroFire PL20R? Supposed to have a 1.25mi beam range?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the Weltool W3... but I'm thinking these LEP flashlights are the ones for pencil beam long throw. I wonder what would happen if someone throws a 3W blue 450nm laser diode in one of htese bad bos. Will that create higher output/range?

Does anyone have a Phoebus Excalibur MicroFire PL20R? Supposed to have a 1.25mi beam range?

Im a little out of touch with my laser diodes, but if it can generate more light without needing more heat sinking and is the same size then yes. However visible spectrum has Green lasers were the most visible per output before these came out. I'm not sure if the white outshines or if it's anemic because of what's required to generate the white light

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Im a little out of touch with my laser diodes, but if it can generate more light without needing more heat sinking and is the same size then yes. However visible spectrum has Green lasers were the most visible per output before these came out. I'm not sure if the white outshines or if it's anemic because of what's required to generate the white light

From what I understand the by-product of exciting the phosphor creates green and yellow light, which combine to produce white light? So not sure what happens with a green diode...

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah other than the Maxabeam, I'd say the Lance of Ra by STO (2.6m cd) would probably be the top two other than some homemade ones and lasers.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand the by-product of exciting the phosphor creates green and yellow light, which combine to produce white light? So not sure what happens with a green diode...

Previously they would use three or four colours to produce a white laser, sounds more efficient. Still probably not as bright as a single diode without phosphor.
I'm not sure how much heat syncing is possible with the way the diode and reflector sit in this light.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't want any spill, you should avoid a conventional reflector light. This leaves 3 options:

(1) Aspheric lens with LED - this is probably your best bet. Someone on BLF converted a BLF GT with a giant aspheric lens. Result was a nice pencil beam with no spill and something like 3.8 million lux.

(2) Aspheric lens with LEP - like the Acebeam W10. LEP modules (powered by lasers) offer twice the intensity of the best LEDs. They're the pencil-beam throw kings for their size. However, something like a BLF GT will still easily outthrow the few LEP lights out there since all the LEP lights use relatively small lenses.

(3) Recoil thrower - this is a type of LED light where the LED is mounted on an arm near the lens and points backwards into the reflector. They produce narrow beams with no spill like aspherics, but without the light losses into the sides of the bezel that aspheric lenses typically feature. Downside is all the recoil throwers are old. Nobody has made a recent recoil thrower. It would be awesome if someone made a nice recoil thrower using modern LEDs with an LED arm made from solid copper.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enderman did with the CFT90. 5000 lumens and 10 million lux. Relatively portable too. But yes, they're not commercially available.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20180129-220948.jpg

Throw king by the photon king

BVH

Flashaholic
Yep, as Fritz says, you can get them on Ebay most of the time. (I just picked one up for $95) This is 1 Generation back from the current lamp but almost as good and still a Gen3 lamp.