Custom Quark AAX

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened
Which Fenix diffuser is this? I can't find one that specifies the correct diameter OR that it is intended for the LD20?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Just did a quick run time test with this setup. My neutral XML head ran for 45 minutes on an AW14500, full blast, then it abruptly shut off. Wouldnt turn back on. Then I tried it with an eneloop, a white one, 1500mah I believe and it ran for an hour, only a slight dim, then started to rapidly dim. It got down to probably .01 lumens. Could actually see the lines in the LED. Then I clicked it off because I didnt want to hurt the battery. It was on for about an hour and 15 minutes. I waited a few minutes and it turned on, fairly brightly too. Looks like the voltage had to recover. I stopped the test then though for the sake of the battery. Anyways I love the little guy. Puts out a whole ton of life and is just tiny. Nice setup.

arjay

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for doing the test Tommygun, now I know what runtimes to expect when I get mine. This thread actually pushed me over the edge to get on the li-ion bandwagon. Can't wait for my AA body and 14500's to arrive.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing the test Tommygun, now I know what runtimes to expect when I get mine. This thread actually pushed me over the edge to get on the li-ion bandwagon. Can't wait for my AA body and 14500's to arrive.

Yes, that's actually the best option as you will have universal compatibility with regular AA's and longer runtime than CR123's.

So should the sun no longer shine, and all the power stations in the world have stopped, you will find an AA just about anywhere and keep that light going! hehe :)

As for me, i'm getting a Turbo AA2 head to fit onto my AA body to make it an alternative pocket throwy. :)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Fenix diffuser is this? I can't find one that specifies the correct diameter OR that it is intended for the LD20?

Fenix AD401.

There are two types; the first one has its ring made out of clear plastic. The second one is black. The latter is a newer re-design to prevent light spillage. Both will fit Quarks.

Endless.ender

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered this setup and I am pumped.

Nice to see all the positive reviews on it. :thumbsup:

I just recently started running low on CR123s and realized how annoying it is to have to order them online from the US to Canada so I started hunting for AA setup and this one caught my eye.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Don't mind the dust..

DSC01043.JPG

DSC01045.JPG
DSC01042.JPG

Love the form factor. Excellent for throwing it on a hat, can barely tell its there and its floody enough to really light up a good area. Excellent light. Somehow find myself carrying it more than my Rotary now. Its just so light you can hardly tell its there.

abbarach

Newly Enlightened
Just to add my info to the thread, I just built this config (2xAA X Quark with the single AA tube and 14500). Running continuously on MAX the light made it almost exactly 45 minutes. I really like being able to run single (or double) AA's when necessary as well- I do a fair bit of emcomms work, so we've got AA's out the wazoo, both rechargeables and primaries. But for my money the combination of small size, decent (but not great) runtime, and brightness makes for a perfect EDC. I expect I'll probably be picking up something in the 2x123 turbo form factor (I could use something more throwy) as well, but this is going to be living in my pocket for quite some time.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
This is my EDC--can't think of a better setup. Well, ok, it would be nice if 47's sold the XML head by itself.......lol. NP

arjay

Newly Enlightened
I also have built this config with the Neutral white 2AA X head and this is the perfect EDC light. I just need to know how reliable this thing is since I've had a string of problems with my past quarks and in fact one of the two quark 2AA X I ordered was DOA. I get 50 minutes runtime on mine with an AW14500 on max which is pretty decent.

Endless.ender

Newly Enlightened
This is my EDC--can't think of a better setup. Well, ok, it would be nice if 47's sold the XML head by itself.......lol. NP

I agree...felt like a bit of a waste to have to buy the AA^2 light just for the head lol but at least now I have a AAx2 spare cell tube lol. I should have got the turbo flat tail cap...didn't realize how much I candle my lights til I started thinking about it...mostly in the morning when at the sink since I don't want to blind myself with the room light....and the tail cap is only $12

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
How much lumens does the 14500 Quark X produce?? Is it mindblowing compared to the 2AA config??
Output should be the same as the low voltage head has a buck and boost circuit to maintain output within the 0.9-4.2v range. Expect 280 lumens on either setup.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
this may be a dumb question, but with e single 14500 on the AA Quark "X", are we basically looking at a programmable Xeno E03? I'm assuming output is the exact same but perhaps less floody given the same battery types and tints?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put together this setup, but with the low voltage head from a 2xAA Quark X Tactical (cool white) on a 1 x AA tube with the deep carry clip and tactical tail. I also snagged a Hi CRI low voltage head on a clipless 123 body, so there are quite a few lego options (until I sell off the 2 xAA tube...)

The little 14500 Quark lego now alternates with my Surefire E1B for casual/work EDC. The Hi CRI will be going out in the woods with me this year.

I'm thinking about picking up a neutral low voltage Quark, or a High CRI 2 x CR123a. Decisions, decisions.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output should be the same as the low voltage head has a buck and boost circuit to maintain output within the 0.9-4.2v range. Expect 280 lumens on either setup.

Pretty much my experience with an AW 14500 - about the same output as using 2xAA (NiMH)

Latest posts