Custom steel part

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Hello, where is a nice quality place to get a piece machined from? It is about the size of a 123A. Is there anyone on this board that can do something like for me for a price? The picture is a side view. It is cylindrical. Measurement is in inches. Thank you.

MVC-014S.jpg

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
So can anyone here make me a part like that? The top can be cut down to .75in. It would also be better if the 0.66in and 0.46in were 0.65in and 0.47in, respectively. I dun wanna pay $40 at precision parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

alanz

Newly Enlightened
Any particular steel that this needs to be made from?
I assume aluminum won't do for you?

alanz

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of pieces of 303 steel that might fit the bill... let me see how it machines. If I have time to do the little project, all you'd need to pay is shipping. I like having real projects to practice on. <s>

alanz

Newly Enlightened
hmmm, I don't understand the measurements at the bottom of the drawing. is the .46 hole centered in the .66 shaft? If so, what are the 0.1 and 0.05 measurements? (tolerances?)

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Any steel would do. Actually, any material that conducts electricity and is good at dissipating heat will do. I know that aluminum dissipates heat and copper conducts, but I guess I can't have the best of both worlds. Which material do you think would work best? Strength is not a concern. I have updated the picture in the first post. Maybe it is clearer. I also changed my mind on some of the dimensions, as represented in the picture.

Just a question, how long does machining something like this usually take? Thank you for doing this!

chalo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNinjaP90 said:
Any steel would do. Actually, any material that conducts electricity and is fairly good at dissipating heat will do. Strength is not a concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steel is pretty poor at both electrical conductivity and heat transfer. Stainless steel is even worse in both respects.

I would recommend aluminum if this part does not need to be soldered, and brass if it must be soldered. Either one is cheap and much easier to machine than any steel.

In any case, the part you have presented is child's play from a machining standpoint, and if I didn't already have a sizeable waiting list, I'd do it for you.

Funny how everybody has some little project in mind when they discover you're a machinist!

Chalo Colina

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
In that case, I think the perfect thing would be to have the top 0.3in made of copper and the lower 1.35in made of aluminum. I can then glue it together.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chalo said:
Funny how everybody has some little project in mind when they discover you're a machinist!

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me that I never sent you those .DXFs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Anybody? I can pay you guys to do it.... I don't mind paying as long as the price is understandable.