D-Cell LED Flashlight

SCampbell

Newly Enlightened
I was exposed to LED light for the first time during a recent visit to Carlsbad Caverns; the caving helmets had them. And I just took delivery of an InReTech 2AA adapter for a Mini-MagLite; too neat. So I'm sold on LED light.

To me, while the even, softly-diffused light is good, the real bonus is the extended run time one gets on a set of batteries; at least, with the 2AA version.

I was interested in a Super6 3D Mag conversion, until I read that it only last two hours at best.

So what other D-cell LED lights are out there? I'm sure the light provided by the Super6 is great; but for $125, I can buy a lot of Coleman stand-alone emergency lanterns that do the same thing with yellow light; and last 5-6 hours on one more battery.

Keep in mind that this is for power outages and other natural catastrophe emergencies. I've got an SL-20, two Stingers, and several SureFires for "regular" stuff. I'm looking for something to leave with the family while I'm on the job.

Steve

SCampbell

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, rycen; just what I was looking for.

I found Doug's site, too.

Steve

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
For ultimate longevity use a pair of Nichia 8000mcd green or cyan LED's in a 3D torch. I made a PR-bulb conversion and that drops into a standard torch, givingg very bright light over a very long period. I took the torch camping and left it running several nights in a row on cheap zinc chloride cells.
It should make an excellent power outage torch! Run time is hundreds of hours on duracells!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb in both my 2D Mag-Lite and Coleman Peak 1 Expedition Headlamp and am well pleased with them. I also have a LEDcorp 3 Cell Nichia in an old 3D Radio Shack flashlight, and one of the E10 base 3 cell bulbs in my Petzl Zoom (works well with Lithium AAs). These are all single Nichia white LED drop in replacement bulbs.