David's big score

davidt

Enlightened
Just got my Christmas bonus so I decided to go and get my flashlight fix. I headed down to the local Academy Sports and Outdoors. I was planning to get a 6D maglite. As i looked at all the flashlights available, I couldn't believe what I saw.

Academy was selling Surefire E1L Outdoorsman for $99.99:faint:. I couldn't believe it! I always wanted an E1L, but ever since the surefire price increase I was always hesitant to buy one. And this was the dual mode new model.
The E1L was smaller then I had thought it would be and it looked beautiful. The amazing look of the E1L convinced me to buy it right away. Amazing finish on the E1L, better than my 6PD which I bought a week ago. I couldn't wait to get home to play with my new light.

My main complaint is that the high beam is kind of ringy. More then I had had expected for a high end flashlight. Oh well its not like i'm gonna be white wall hunting in the real world. So i'm not gonna hold the ringyness aginst my new surefire.

Also its kind of weird I have to change the battery by removing the head and not the tail cap.

Love this light so far, I'm gonna go play with it tonight.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your new E1L!

I'm definitely glad to hear that you chose a SF E1L over a Mag 6D :laughing: It must have been a tough choice...them being around the same size and all :p
Joking aside, I'm sure your E1L will get much more use than a Mag 6D would have. Lights that get carried often get used often. I don't know about you, but the 6D might be a little tough to pocket carry on a daily basis. :D

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice buy. I've found that the less you white wall hunt the more useful the light is. Ringiness is common in new SF optic lights - but I've not had a problem in real world use. How do you like the 2 stage tail? FWIW I think it's quite elegant and useful.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
I go to Academy all the time but I have never seen Surefires, so I'll have to go and see if mine now sells them. Were they by the other flashlights in the camping area or at the Gun counter?

davidt

Enlightened
Update on this light. I the hotspot is very useful. I like the beam better than my other flashlights that use a reflector. It seems flashlights using reflectors have a very smooth transition from hotspot to spill. There is just something about the beam of the E1L that I really like. The best I can describe is the hotspot is like a spotlight with some remaining spill. With enough spill so it isn't like having tunnel vision.

The 2 stage switch is awesome. Very easy to use. I like the simple 2 mode that can easily be changed with one hand.

This may be my new favorite new light.

Farmer17 I found the E1L in the flashlight section. They're lights are locked onto the shelf and you need someone to unlock it for you. When I left there was only one light left. I'm guessing the light is selling well or maybe the didn't stock the shelf completly full.

Latest posts