Too big for EDC?

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
I have a few general questions to anyone who carries an EDC LED flashlight. I'd like to know your personal opinions along with reasons for each please.

1 - How big is too big for an EDC that's belt mounted?
2 - Which controls do you prefer? Tail switch? Thumb switch? Rotary dial?
3 - What's your preferred beam type?

I'm struggling to figure out which to carry. I've tried a few types and so far, the easiest for me is a pocket carry that's about palm sized and has a turbo mode up to 4K for a nice wide flood but also a low setting for close-up dark environment use. The Nitecore T4K is one of my favorites because of its size but I'm not a fan of the shape. I prefer barrel style.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a tube style 25mm X 130mm with a tail switch and an orange peel reflector. Some TIR lense lights are nice too. I find this size easy to EDC. Lights that are bigger or have a bigger head I'm less likely to carry in a pants pocket.

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
For now I've settle on the Wurkkos ts21. I'd prefer something a little less floody, but it works well. It's tiny for a 21700 light
Thanks for your response! Does it get extremely hot to the touch on highest output setting? I looked it up. The size would be just right for me. Hadn't heard of the brand until just now. I'm a newb to the variety of models available. Appreciate the info.

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
I like a tube style 25mm X 130mm with a tail switch and an orange peel reflector. Some TIR lense lights are nice too. I find this size easy to EDC. Lights that are bigger or have a bigger head I'm less likely to carry in a pants pocket.
That must be the sweet spot for EDC sizes. It's around the size of one of mine. Do you find that the tail switch gets sort of snaggy on clothing, wanting to smoosh the button sideways as you're moving around?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your response! Does it get extremely hot to the touch on highest output setting? I looked it up. The size would be just right for me. Hadn't heard of the brand until just now. I'm a newb to the variety of models available. Appreciate the info.
If you mean in turbo then it does get pretty warm. But I've never run turbo for more than a minute but I know it will get very hot. On high, which is 1200 lumens, after about 10 minutes it does start to get pretty warm. But not unbearably so. Usually I'm using it between 100 and 500 lm. At that point it doesn't even get warm.
The reason why in a lot of the reviews you saw the temperature issues, is that when a light comes with anduril, the company sets how the light reacts to a rise in temperature, regardless what the temperature ceiling the user can set. In this case, they programmed it to be very sensitive and ramp down output quickly. Presumably to people new to flashlights.
So how we can bypass that, is that I have my temperature limit set as 65°C. That allows the light to sustain around 1000 lm of output. Without that it will quickly drop to around 350. I ran it for 45 minutes in my light box, with a small fan blowing air at it, and it did not get too hot to touch. In that time it went from 1200 lm to 1050 which would not be noticeable to the human eye. Now whether the drop was from temperature regulation, or simply the battery voltage dropping, I'm not sure. As for size, here it is next to a convoy s2+
IMG_0899.jpeg

Last edited:

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
If you mean in turbo then it does get pretty warm. But I've never run turbo for more than a minute but I know it will get very hot. On high, which is 1200 lumens, after about 10 minutes it does start to get pretty warm. But not unbearably so. Usually I'm using it between one and 500 lm. At that point it doesn't even get warm.
Yes, turbo mode is what I was referring to. I find that most lights in general aren't too hot to the touch in lower output modes than their maximum but at the highest setting, it seems they can get so darn hot, I can't even hold on to it any more. Very few get that hot but I find that I don't reach for my Fenix E35 (I think that's the model number) very often because I'm not a fan of how hot it can get in turbo mode. I can't really believe a manufacturer would let a design get released that got as hot as that model does.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I have a few general questions to anyone who carries an EDC LED flashlight. I'd like to know your personal opinions along with reasons for each please.

1 - How big is too big for an EDC that's belt mounted?
2 - Which controls do you prefer? Tail switch? Thumb switch? Rotary dial?
3 - What's your preferred beam type?

Myself, I feel that a typical "P60" type light is about the right size. For me, it's a little large and heavy to carry in the pants pockets, but it's perfect for a simple belt-mounted holster or a jacket inside-loop/holster.

Tail switch -- (a la McClicky forward type). Prefer the ease of operation, single-handed use, utility when engaging in self-defense.

Beam type preferred -- moderate throw with generous spill. But then, I don't need to reach out beyond about 20ft or so. Any of the Malkoff P60 drop-ins work admirably in this role. I like the fully-potted electronics, the decent reflector design.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, turbo mode is what I was referring to. I find that most lights in general aren't too hot to the touch in lower output modes than their maximum but at the highest setting, it seems they can get so darn hot, I can't even hold on to it any more. Very few get that hot but I find that I don't reach for my Fenix E35 (I think that's the model number) very often because I'm not a fan of how hot it can get in turbo mode. I can't really believe a manufacturer would let a design get released that got as hot as that model does.
I understand that but in that case, don't use turbo mode. I don't see having a huge output mode to be a disadvantage with it being included. Turbo isn't meant to be a sustained output. It's meant to be "wtf is that way over there" then when you figure it out, you go back to a normal setting. Yes this light will get roasting on turbo, so don't use turbo. The 550 lumens level 6 is quite bright. And the 1200L level 7 is barely discernible from turbo but runs great, while still producing quite a bit of heat. Heat is the byproduct of making big output.

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
I understand that but in that case, don't use turbo mode. I don't see having a huge output mode to be a disadvantage with it being included. Turbo isn't meant to be a sustained output. It's meant to be "wtf is that way over there" then when you figure it out, you go back to a normal setting. Yes this light will get roasting on turbo, so don't use turbo. The 550 lumens level 6 is quite bright. And the 1200L level 7 is barely discernible from turbo but runs great, while still producing quite a bit of heat. Heat is the byproduct of making big output.
Although I totally agree with what you've stated, there are MANY models that don't get nearly as hot to the touch, as this one particular model I own and yes, because it gets too hot to the touch, I don't use it in that mode at all. In fact, since I have many other flashlights I do prefer, that one in particular sits in a box and I don't really use it at all any more. There are better options out there for the same use cases that one was supposed to be good for. For now, heat is a byproduct of LEDs but LED tech is improving more and more which means less heat lost during regular use in any mode, and longer battery life as a result. It's exciting to see how far technology has come in the past 10-20 years and where it's going.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
That must be the sweet spot for EDC sizes. It's around the size of one of mine. Do you find that the tail switch gets sort of snaggy on clothing, wanting to smoosh the button sideways as you're moving around?
I carry my rear switch lights tail up. The rubber switch is a little snaggy but not much of a problem to me. Another preference of mine is tail cap lock out. I always carry with the tail cap 1/4 turn locked out. Lights now a days are too powerful and can burn holes in clothing and backpacks. I don't trust electronic lock out.

Illumenationz

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the electronic lockout on some models has a chance to unlock in a pocket or bag. I've bought a few zipper cases to store and carry some of mine out of abundance of caution.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not Batman so I wouldn't normally belt-carry a flashlight. Although I could see using one the size of a Stinger like police do if I had the need. Biggest lights I ever EDC'd were various 2x123 models, in a pocket but with a clip to keep them handy. Replaced those with a 1x123 HDS last year and that's working pretty well for me, now 100% pocket carry.

As far as controls, my preference is some form of clickie on/off with a separate level selector. Not a lot of these being made right now. In the past I had a few Surefires that did that, and now my HDS and a Streamlight Stinger 2020. The ability to turn a light on without having to click through a bunch of levels or modes is important to me. Given a choice I also like flashlights than can charge in a cradle. If Streamlight made a shorter Strion DS with a level ring that'd be my ideal flashlight.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've been carrying the Fenix LD30 for a couple of years, and it's perfect for my needs.

The pocket clip is excellent - holds it up out of your pocket so you can't even feel it there, even when you sit down or drive, and doesn't catch on things or fall out easily. Also, it's a dual clip, so you can clip it on a ball cap, which I usually have on. Great for when you need both hands. Has a rear switch for on/off, and side switch for modes.

It's 1600 Lumens, medium throw/spill beam, and seems not much bigger than the 18650 battery that it uses, and not too heavy for the ball cap. Low or 2nd level is usually enough for indoors. The higher levels do very well for outside at night. Also has a great battery level indicator LED on the side switch. Seems like I only have to charge it once every 2 or 3 months, and I use it every day.

For belt mounted, you can go as big as you want. I have bigger lights for when needed, but don't care for larger heavy lights for continuous all day carry.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my edc under 5" long and not much larger than an inch in diameter. Usually 21700, 18650, 16650, or 2 123A powered. Longer doesn't fit in a pocket, catches on things when belt carried, and ends up being too heavy for a belt holster to last long. Nitecore E4K is about the largest I need to carry nowadays.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! What make and model? Looks like it might be less than 1" barrel. Battery size?
noctigon kr4, it is 18650, but it is a bit fatter than normal 18650 cuz it has a sliding contact tube inside needed for an electronic tail switch, anduril UI. the head is about an inch. carry it daily since 2020 at work, i do building engineering, great light.