Dealextreme 50 Mw laser

vader

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an inexpensive, but strong green laser. I was going to get the Dealextreme 30 Mw laser, but just noticed they put out a 50 Mw laser aswell.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1371

I searched it on these forums and did not come up with anything. Reviews on the DX site say the 50 can melt chocolate and pop balloons? Does anybody have any experience with the DX 50 Mw laser and is it worth 30 bucks more than the 30 Mw?

Thanks

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are two 50mw version, cant wait for someone post a review about the cheaper version one(half the price).

Thanks.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed that cheaper 50 tonight and ordered one. I'll post something when it shows up.

Wincet

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any equipment to measure the mW or IR? If not do you have any other lasers to compare beam shots? I'm real interested in the even cheaper 50mW.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the cheaper version of kaidomain's 50mw for about $31.75.
it took awhile to warm up. but after a couple of seconds, the beam was quite visible. didnt try to burn anything though.

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
That would be a very helpful review... The cheaper ones are definitely much more affordable. With some luck, these things might actually be worth it :)

Thanx;
DDL

vader

Newly Enlightened
I got the cheaper version of kaidomain's 50mw for about $31.75.
it took awhile to warm up. but after a couple of seconds, the beam was quite visible. didnt try to burn anything though.

Keep us posted. It would be great to know if the laser is able to pop balloons or what.:poke:

Thanks

Drawbar

Newly Enlightened
I had about 6 20mw greenies that I ordered for myself and friends and they all seemed to vary a little in output. When the price dropped on the 50mw at Kaidomain I decided to try it out.

I`m only guessing as I have no testing gear but I would say the 50mw is about half again as strong as the 20mw. For the price I highly recomend the 50 for price and fun factor.

As far as popping balloons or lighting matches....forget it...I think if you get one of the good 200mw you`re in business.

teaken

Newly Enlightened
After a long wait my 2 DX 50mW 'new brand' lasers have arrived. I'm pretty impressed so far they are definitely as bright as my 30mw New Wish probably brighter.
Quick summary:
The Good:
Brighter than a new wish 30mw
Very good culmination and very consistent between both lasers (slightly better than the new wish, I was very surprised at this)

The Bad:
Takes a while to warm up, after 30 seconds or so they seem to reach max brightness where as the 30mW new wish is bright almost straight away
Puts holes in thin black plastic bags immediately suggesting a possible lack of IR filter (my new wish struggles to put holes in bags)
Some blooming around the 'dot' suggesting dirt on lens

Conclusion:
Anyway for the price I think they are an excellent buy. I prefer the slightly more refined finish of the new wish but the 'new brand' seems to do what it was designed to do well. Would love to put one on a meter at see the actual output.

Wincet

Newly Enlightened
Can you check the maximum distance at which the laser can burn holes in trash bags? If it is using unculminated IR it should only work at close range.

rapt

Newly Enlightened
I have Just put in an order to for one of these 50mW lasers. I have a Andover Holography Meter so I will test the output with and without an ir filter. Will keep you posted when it arrives.

teaken

Newly Enlightened
Ok this is kind of weird, one of the 50mW will burn through bags quite easily at 20-25cm the other struggles to do it with the bag right in front of the laser (same as with my new wish 30mW) but the perceivable brightness of both the 'dot' and the beam is nearly identical... There are some other slight manufacturing inconsistencies between them as well like the buttons look a bit different and the battery compartments are slightly different, I'm slightly miffed about this I can only assume they are from different factories or different production runs from the same factory I wish I had a power meter so I could confirm green and IR output for now I'm assuming the worst i.e. dangerous amounts of culminated IR (what I always do anyway).

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
I received "Laselly" (SKU1636) from Kai for 35.30$, which is advertised as "50mW laser" and now is discontinued. This is my first greenie, I've never had green laser before, but I'm not suprised by its power AT ALL. I would be suprised if it has been declared 5 mW, not 50 mW. I can stare on the spot on white wall without any problems at a day. At night it's bright, but I can also watch it on semi-dark targets in my room. Spot on white surfaces is very clean, but not so powerful to throw me back. When shining on bare skin I don't feel any heat, ANY. I feel burning hot when I place a red dot with marker on my hand and shine on it. It can't pop any baloon. I can't see the beam in my room at daylight until I set my eye close to the beam axis. In semi-dark conditions and at night the beam is visible at any angle, but it's not "Star-Wars-like" feeling. When having a room temperature it starts dimly with some mode shifting, and when it gets close to hand temperature it immediately goes to the bright (normal) level with pure and clean beam. After 2 minutes of continous operation it's only quite warm. Mainly from the fact I hold it in my hand. It doesn't work better on Ni-MH's then on stock alkalines.

P.S. Divergence seems to be very good for that price. After 10 meters the beam spreads from ~1,5 mm to 11 mm of diameter. It also seems to be quite off-axis, but only slightly.

Does it behave as real 50mW laser??

Damian

360freak

Newly Enlightened
what will i be able to do with the kaidomain's $31 50mW? will i be able to pop a balloon with it?

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Newwish is probably really pissed at this. It may force them to compete more and they will either start putting better IR filters in theirs or lower the price to compete. My guess is as good as yours :p

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
DX reported that they shipped my "cheap" DX 50 yesterday.
7 - 14 days IF it gets through ........
Have meters - Will report

Mike

Bing & Ye

Newly Enlightened
I did purcahse one from Dealextreme, it works fine for 2 days really, then with out any light, so it is a so "nice" item ~~ Never buy again