Dereelight DBS review!

tyler

Newly Enlightened
I am a semi-regular lurker -- I try to stay away because every time I visit this darn forum I end up ordering several lights :broke:-- and I am coming out of the shadows to ask a question about my latest foray into the dark world of light. :thumbsup:

After reading Wade's wonderful review, I ordered a DBS several weeks ago. I opted for the free shipping (when it was still the slow version), and I didn't get the light until last week. Well I opted for the 3-stage, and ordered some 18650's from Deal Extreme at the same time. I didn't get the batteries until yesterday (21 days after I ordered, thanks again choosing the free shipping), so I ordered a DBS three weeks ago and finally got to turn it on for the first time last night! Talk about frustrating!

At any rate, after all that, I found out my Q4 3-stage pill was a one stage "model". :mecry: Well, a quick email to Alan and he PROMPTLY got back to me and a Q5 2SD is on the way. :twothumbs

Out of curiosity, since I have a few weeks to wait on the new pill, how do I measure the current the pill is drawing? I'm curious at what brightness level it is stuck and I don't have any light meters. Is there another way I could check this other than current?

Thanks! (For both the help on this and the dang compelling write-up that had me ordering another light!) :nana:

Tyler

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3-stage digitals are tricky to measure because they draw more and more current as the battery's voltage drops, to keep powering that Q5. :) You can take a reading by using your multi-meter, put it on mA, and you need to switch the red lead to the other terminal, mine says 10A MAX Unfused, then touch the black to the rear of the batter and the read to the contact point on the body tube (this is with the tailcap off). The light should come on and you should get a current reading.

I have a 2DS on the way too, should be Dereelight's brightest pill to date. If it is, I'll probably swap the Q5 with a R2 when I get my R2 bin Cree. :)

tyler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Wade!

So it looks like mine is super-charged too.

2.34 amps with the battery at 4.05 volts.

Tyler

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Wade!

So it looks like mine is super-charged too.

2.34 amps with the battery at 4.05 volts.

Tyler

Yeah, sound like what my one 3-stage Q4 is doing. Mine gets pretty warm and I don't know how much of that current is reaching the emitter. So you may not want to run it for long period of time, and it will drain your batteries twice as fast as normal. I'm looking forward to the 2SD. :) I may have to order a 2nd for my CL1H V3 if I like the improvement over the 3-stage Q5.

Mrgooch

Newly Enlightened
There are a lot of nice pictures of the DBS but none showing its size in relation to the hand. Any out there?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of nice pictures of the DBS but none showing its size in relation to the hand. Any out there?

DBS022Small.jpg

DBS023Small.jpg

From

tyler

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, sound like what my one 3-stage Q4 is doing. Mine gets pretty warm and I don't know how much of that current is reaching the emitter. So you may not want to run it for long period of time, and it will drain your batteries twice as fast as normal. I'm looking forward to the 2SD. :) I may have to order a 2nd for my CL1H V3 if I like the improvement over the 3-stage Q5.

I don't have a CL1H, and I'm trying to stay away. Please don't mention that light in this discussion, or I might succumb! ;) I keep telling myself that my A2 fills the spot of the CL1H. Yep, that's the ticket.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple more, just to have another hand as an example. :)

Needed more fill flash. :) I think my finger was covering the flash, oops:

JKL

Enlightened
Hi WadeF,
great review and pictures, very interesting .
:clap:
:sssh: Dereelight DBS Q5................................:takeit:

My DBS Q5 -3 stage is arrived, the first impression:
beautifull Fit and Finish , very comfortable,strong ,with a great throw.
Rougly speaking amazing. :devil:

Last edited:

fluke

Enlightened
Superb review Wade :twothumbs :twothumbs
Do you own an modded LED Focusing Lenser ??
Would love to see how that stacks up against the Malkoff's, Dereelights etc, etc.

fluke

Enlightened
Forgive me for asking, but the photo of the CL1H is that for real ??
Was just wondering if that photo was mixed up ??
It seems to have a lot of throw for such a small light, especially when compared to say the Malkoff M60 on Page 2.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to have a lot of throw for such a small light, especially when compared to say the Malkoff M60 on Page 2.

The CL1H with SMO reflector has awesome throw for a light its size. It beats out my Malkoff M60 easily (as it should since the M60 is OP reflector), and that was with the older pill. You should see it now with the 3-stage Q5, and it would be brighter yet with the new 2-stage Q5 (1.2A version). The CL1H V3.0 is an awesome light.

Last edited:

fluke

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply.
That sort of seals it maybe, as Gene just added some Q4 M60's with 8 degree colmator lens :naughty:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Q2 M60. :) I'll look forward to hear how Gene's new drop-in is, his stuff is always really nice.

Zenster

Enlightened

I find that question funny because I recently got my first flashlight in this "class", a Tiablo A9s that totally blew me away compared to what I thought it would be like.
The A9s uses the same Q5 emitter as the DBS, and it (the A9s) makes any of the drop-ins look lethargic at best, especially considering the small size of this class of lights.

I am so impressed by the performance of these lights that I've already ordered a DBS SD2 plus a 2SM pill so I can use CR123's as backups during power failures.

Get one, whether it be a DBS, a Tiablo A9s or the MRV-SE, and you'll never go back to just any "flashlight" again. My Terralux converted Maglites (4 of them) are all slated to be given to friends and relatives just because I know I'll never use them again.

Then wait until the next higher generation R's arrive where you will be able to upgrade to that, and you'll start to look for excuses to leave the house at night. :laughing:

Latest posts