Dereelight DBS review!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it throw better than the RaidFire Spear?

Technically, yes. In real life, it's hard to see much difference, at least from what I've been able to see so far. I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side in a big enough open space to see how they do at 800 feet, 1,000 feet, etc.

On the LUX meter, the DBS is ahead of the Raidfire Spear.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just swap the Q4 3 stage in my DBS with DI R2 pill and add an o-ring at the back of the DBS reflector and :eek:oo: holy fruitty my DBS is a monster ( even brighter than my Raidfire) :wow:
Just unbelieveable what this thing can do by just adjusting a little on the height of the pill.
And no more artifacts in the middle of the hotspot unlike before added an o-ring :thumbsup:
Imagine if Deerelight came up with Quad Cree or Seoul Acriche with a different reflector that can fit in the DBS :whistle:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
i just swap the Q4 3 stage in my DBS with DI R2 pill and add an o-ring at the back of the DBS reflector and :eek:oo: holy fruitty my DBS is a monster ( even brighter than my Raidfire)
Hi nano, glad it worked out for you. Sounds like the original Q4 3SD had a height issue.

FYI, In my case the R2 DI was equivalent to the Q5 RaidFire for the first few seconds, but then dropped down to the throw level of my Q4 3SD (both are at the right height with no artifacts). For comparisons with outputs and runtimes here:
DBS V2 (with R2 Cree/ DI) Comparison Review

Although the DBS V2 is a real winner, I haven't made up my mind about the R2 DI yet. The buzzing on low is a lot more noticeable than my Q4 3SD, as is the PWM (121 Hz on the DI, undetectable on the 3SD). However, I do like warmer tints on my lights ... although that's not helping much with all the snow around here right now. ;)

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi selfbuilt,
nice reviews as always and your review is one of my guidelines to get a new light :thumbsup:.
My Di R2 is now rest permanently in my DBS V1 because i just love and getting in love even more with warmer tint beam because it perform & penetrate the dark patches on the road outdoor better.No glaring.
Time to order another warmer tint beam and that would be Rebel 100 from fenix to complete the collection :devil:
But the Inova's is lurking around the corner with bloddy good price but they don't have the strobe function which to me is essential at my working place.
never mind i will wait for the T5 :whistle:

wbp

Enlightened
I just did some comparisons between a Raidfire Spear and a DBS V2 with 3SD Q5 pill. I measured 240 lumens from the Spear and 250 from the DBS, virtually the same lumen output. The Spear's CCT was quite high, at around 7600 K, compared to the DBS' 5500 K.

From my initial tests looking at the beam on a white screen, I expected the Spear to be the throw winner, since it has a smaller, more defined spot. The DBS's beam is not as uniform, when you look at it on a wall or screen you see "CREE rings". I fully expected the Spear to out-throw the DBS.

I just came back from night-time walk in a nearby park. I was surprised to find that the DBS was, to my eyes at least, superior at lighting up objects at long distances (500 to 1000'). In actual use, the combination of warmer tint and more light in the center of the beam wins out. I was so surprised that I even swapped batteries just to be sure one of them wasn't low.

William

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spear has slightly adjustable beam, mine is set to best focus at really long distance and it's amazing!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5A Q3 tint and the OP reflector are a perfect combination for this light. It's my new favorite for outdoor use, great throw and spill and color. Nothing else compares! :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came back from night-time walk in a nearby park. I was surprised to find that the DBS was, to my eyes at least, superior at lighting up objects at long distances (500 to 1000'). In actual use, the combination of warmer tint and more light in the center of the beam wins out. I was so surprised that I even swapped batteries just to be sure one of them wasn't low.

William

This is also my experience between my DBS V1 and V2 and my Raidfire Spear, and other Spears I have encountered.

Check the size of the hot spots at 20-30 feet on a white wall. My DBS maintains a noticeably smaller hot spot than the Spear. Make sure you are looking at the hot spot and not the hot spot plus the corona (bright area around the hot spot) when it comes to the DBS.

Bruce B

Enlightened
Nice light and great beam shots Wade. What are the spec on this particular gem and where can one pick up one of these lights? Info would be appreciated.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Nice light and great beam shots Wade. What are the spec on this particular gem and where can one pick up one of these lights? Info would be appreciated.

I purchased one of these with the S1/WH R2 pill and an OP reflector in January and haven't really felt the need to buy another light since then. It's almost as if I finally found what I'd been searching for. I have bought a couple other lights since then, but they were for other uses and pale in comparison to the satisfaction I get from my DBS.

Thread from CPFMP HERE.

Link to manufacturers site HERE.

For the past nine months or so, it's mostly been the DBS and an LM31.

Last edited:

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Well....thanks guys. I lurked back for an update of lights and have ended up buys 4 different ones in the last 2 months. :| On order is a DBS V3 with MC-E emitter, extension tube, 3 stage pill with R2 warm tint. Not really interested in 'throw' so to speak as I like a wall of light. I like the fact that I can get different pills at a later date to "update" a light. Somewhere I read that the MC-E spits out 500+ lumens, that should be just about right to walk the dog. :p

Thanks again for the exceptional reviews here. Lots of honest real world information!

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the DBS XR-E R2, 3SM (SMO) + the aspherical lens and the EXT650 extender to be able to use 2 x 18650.

Could you guys recommend some high capacity 18650's with the right configuration for the light; protected/not protected, flat top/raised top and so on. I'm not sure which ones to get.

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered the DBS XR-E R2, 3SM (SMO) + the aspherical lens and the EXT650 extender to be able to use 2 x 18650.

Could you guys recommend some high capacity 18650's with the right configuration for the light; protected/not protected, flat top/raised top and so on. I'm not sure which ones to get.

Thanks in advance!

I would check out the Redilast brand sold by Tactical HID. I have some and they are well made. Their highest capacity cells contain Panasonic 2900 mah and 3100 mah. Check them out, there are also some good reviews of them in the flashlight electronics/batteries forum. You will like the DBS, it is a great thrower. I have had one for 3 years now and still am impressed by it.

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
Hi All! Got a reply from AW. I've just ordered a pair of AW P18650-31 for $40. Should be some of the best 18650 out there eh?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All! Got a reply from AW. I've just ordered a pair of AW P18650-31 for $40. Should be some of the best 18650 out there eh?

Yes, those are the highest capacity cells available and the AW brand is well respected around here. You should have good luck with those. Make sure you get a charger that will terminate properly and that has 2 independent charging channels.

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
Yes, those are the highest capacity cells available and the AW brand is well respected around here. You should have good luck with those. Make sure you get a charger that will terminate properly and that has 2 independent charging channels.

I bought the Cytac charger from 4sevens. It should be ok?

DM51

Flashaholic
The thread is straying off topic with posts about batteries, chargers etc. Please confine posts here to discussion of the light itself, and/or comments on Wade F's review.

Anyone who wants to discuss batteries and chargers is welcome to start a separate thread in the appropriate forum.