Diamond LED drop in questions

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The half-intensity point was 15-18 minutes ago (around 1:20pm PDT), which would place it at around 2:45 (2 hours 45 minutes) or thereabouts...I'll put the chart in this thread when it's ready.

At least the last couple of hours have been remarkably stable. It'll all come out in the washingmachine though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(Edit 8:43pm PDT)
The Diamond has been remarkably stable. Looks like this test will run overnight tonight, and possibly overnight tomorrow night too. For my reference purposes, the half-intensity point was 9.2, which was reached around 1:20pm PDT today. It is now at 7.5. I'll stop the test and publish a graph when the reading drops below 0.1.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The test is still chugging along...the reading is now 5.9, so I'm gonna be at this for awhile yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(Edit 6:00pm PDT)
The reading is now at 4.1. The starting reading was 18.4 just for reference purposes.
I'll stop the test and put a chart here when the reading drops below 0.1.

(Edit again, 9:37pm PDT)
The reading is 3.4 now.

(Edit again, next day, 3:38pm PDT)
The reading is now 2.1 and still chugging along.
The bulb is still bright enough that I have to shield it from my computer space.
O wait..."Computer Space"...wasn't that like one of the first video games, that used a monochrome X-Y monitor, and one of the two ships looked like the Enterprise? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
This may be premature, but with a half intensity point @ 2:45 it does not seem as though it is regulated.

From looking at the pictures it looks like you could just look at the unit from below and see if there are any electronics in there or if the wires run straght to the led.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't bet against turbodog. From the initial test results I have to agree with turbo that the light does not sound like it has any regulation at all. So the cylinder behind the 3 watt Luxeon might be one big heatsink with no electronics.

14C

Enlightened
The cylinder is more of a shroud or collar. It is threaded on the inside so it can be screwed into the mag post just like the OEM collar that holds the regular bulb. Inside the collar is a standard PR bulb base. Looks just like the base of the regular bulb. There COULD be electronics in there (a la the TerraLUX TLE-6) or maybe not. Can't tell by looking.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Wonder if the light retains its focusing ability? Doesn't seem that hard to make an imitation of this from scratch.

I have though about making one from parts and hanging a micropuck off the side. There's certainly enough extra space in the mag body for this.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just updated my last post, the reading is now 2.1 and dropping very, very slowly...

I don't know what's in the PR base. The metal collar is there to allow it to screw directly onto the Mag-Lite's bulb holder, and possibly to fulfill a secondary role as heatsinking material. The way it mates to the Mag's metal bulb holder should allow it to sink heat directly into the holder more effectively than a slide-on collar might.

As far as electronics, I really don't know.
Probably just a resistor, since you are only supposed to run these bulbs in 3-cell Mags.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As of 8:03pm PDT, the reading is 2.0, and is dropping only VERY slowly. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get the UView Phazer up there before I need to return it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
Just go ahead and stop the test. It's run long enough to get all the useful data out of it anyway. If the curve has straightened out, just extrapolate down to zero and be done with it.

14C

Enlightened
I assumed it was regulated...probably because of the TLE-6 construction. If I have mislead anyone I apologize.

Craig..thanks for taking the time to put it through the grinder.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Just go ahead and stop the test. It's run long enough to get all the useful data out of it anyway. If the curve has straightened out, just extrapolate down to zero and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop the test?
Now?
It's down to 0.4, so I guess it can't hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now stopping test...BRB...stopping test...rebooting Windows...stuck key, arrgh!!!...rebooting Windows again...dropping to DOS...changing directory...running BATPLOT...hitting PrtScn...exiting...loading Paint...hitting CTRL-V...saving...copying across network...cropping...uploading...there, done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

diamond.gif

Vertical lines represent 1 hour each.
Looks like it runs for 2:20 (two hours twenty minutes) to the half-intensity point, and days (almost three full days) past that.
As usual, I had my meter send one reading every 600 seconds (10 minutes).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
...Craig..thanks for taking the time to put it through the grinder.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're more than welcome!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And thank you for sending me the bulb to begin with!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, you are a trooper and worked that test all the way to the end. You extracted enough information to give credible results. Thanks a million times!

So without the advantage of seeing the Diamond module we can say that their are no electronics other than, maybe, a resistor under the LED casing.

Latest posts