Disappointed in the new Foursevens Quark QS2L-X

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
The old Quarks that took two CR123 Batteries also ran on either two RCR123 batteries or one 16650 battery as they accepted voltage of 3.0 to 8.4V. The new Quark QS2L-X requires voltage of 4.0- 8.4V and will not run on a fully charged 16650. The QS2L-X should be able to run on two RCR123 batteries, but the tail cap does not function with these batteries. A week ago today, Foursevens said they would send me the 'new' tail cap that will solve the problem with the RCR123 batteries, but it isn't here yet. The final major problem for me is there is a pronounced delay in response when you turn the light on and this makes the light unsatisfactory for tactical use.

The new 'Smart' Quark isn't a worthy successor to the old Quark. It was a long wait to be disappointed.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have the old one which can run a 16650 battery. It's a very nice UL gear item. Don't own the new one so will leave the owners to say what they think.

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I both carry the previous model Quark (QP2L-X) as our EDCs, I've given them to friends as gifts, and I've recommended them to CCW classes I teach, but the latest version simply doesn't measure up.

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
I just pre-ordered this light from a supplier and never realized that the voltage range 4 to 8.4 V will be an issue with the use of a 16650 li-ion battery which I normally use in my old Quark QP2L-X. Now am having second thought of getting it. But will wait for more feedback and review. Hopefully 47s will see this as a concern and eventually address it by matching its operating voltage similar to the previous versions of Quark.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I, too, am disappointed to hear this. I do, however run RCR123 batteries, for use with my single 123 lights. Just curious, but how is the throw with this light? I have the CR123x2 from way back with an R5 bin head that still works well with either my RCR123's or my 17670's. It throws quite well, but I was wondering if this 950 lumen head will do a better job or if it's just an "bit brighter" R5 head? If it's throw is comparable to or better than the old CR123x2, it might be worth my time and money to invest...:thinking:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious if your light Legos with legacy battery tubes. I know it's no solution for your particular situation, except perhaps 2x14500, but my thinking is that if the QS2A-X can also Lego, it might make a viable 1x CR123/16340/14500/16650 light.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Curious if your light Legos with legacy battery tubes. I know it's no solution for your particular situation, except perhaps 2x14500, but my thinking is that if the QS2A-X can also Lego, it might make a viable 1x CR123/16340/14500/16650 light.

I do hope lego'ing can be an option...

fnsooner

Enlightened
The final major problem for me is there is a pronounced delay in response when you turn the light on and this makes the light unsatisfactory for tactical use.
I purchased an Acebeam T20 last year that does this. Very disappointing and I agree with you that it makes the momentary function almost useless. I do not know how flashlight manufacturers can let this flaw slip through the cracks.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Boy in their day about all we talked about here were all the great quarks and other 4sevens devices. Seemed like they built just what flashaholics asked for. I miss it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ditto. Still my most used lights.
Me too. A neutral in both bathrooms and titaniums in bedroom, living room, and playroom. 2 2xCR123 and 1 AA. I had a titanium 1 x CR123A but it was stolen from my car. Wish I bought a titanium 2 x AA. Of course I wish all the titanium quarks had neutral led's but I'm no modder.

4sevens doesn't make any HI CRI lights any more do they?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks are one of my favourite lights. I own six or seven of them. I've not bought another since they changed from the original setup. I've been happy with what they've produced and can't for the life of me figure out why they went in the direction they did.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to a review of this light. I own at least 8 or 9 of the quarks and have never been disappointed in any of them. I wonder if the heads on the new smart quarks can be leggo'd, too. I drive my cr123x2 and my aa x 2 quite hard. Changed my aa 4v head to a 9v head and drive it with 2 protected rechargeable aa's. Great and throw. Its my 50 to 60 yard pistol light I use to spot wild dogs and coyotes in the yard and fields around my house. The cr123x2 uses either the 17670s or 2 rcr123s and for an r5 head, it's a real flamethrower. I am hoping that these new smart quarks can be leggo'd the same way.

fnsooner

Enlightened
4sevens doesn't make any HI CRI lights any more do they?

I doubt it, although I haven't checked lately. I grabbed a few of the 3000Kish Hi CRi Preon 2 lights when they were available.

All my "4Sevens" flashlights are still in working condition minus a couple of Preon switches. I quit buying their lights when I quit buying cool white, so I can't comment on the newer stuff. I carry a Preon 2 Ti to work every day and have since they have been available. Very underated and rugged if you get one with a good switch.

I also have a couple of the old school 2AA tactical UI Quarks that are still kicking. Reliability wise, I have no complaints about any of the 4Sevens lights that I have purchased.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Nor I. And so far they have stood by the lifetime warranty on the original Quarks as far as I know. It's just amazing how the companies appealing most to flashaholics can change so rapidly.

herektir

Newly Enlightened
A number of changes happened because of surefire lawsuits, dont know the threads but a search should pull something up. I have an aa/2aa xpg r5 quark I use nearly every day but i was never a collector as its my only 47s light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still a big fan of 47s and their Quarks, which are still my most often used - only light that comes close is my HDS 325, although its efficiency and battery versatility can't match (sux actually). Even programmed the HDS to match the Quark's mode spacing - an ideal for me 10x ~0.3/3/30/300 with a momentary max from ON.

Love the Click too - the XPG2s have a great near neutral tint and if you figure out how to program it, it's a great cross between the old Pros and Tacs (except no ~100 lm high). Got a stack in reserve (hard to beat for $27), I think they're going away too :(.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I sent Foursevens an inquiry over the weekend about leggo'ing the lights.

"Will the 123 x2 and the as x 2 smart quarks leggo? I am interested in running a 9volt head on the AA model of this light and I was wondering if it could be done? I am also interested in the balance of throw to spill of these lights. Thanks for taking my questioned".

This is their reply:

"The heads are glued to the body and will not separate, you may be able to get them apart. They will lego, but due to the glue issue we do not recommend it. You must use the smart tailcap, they will not work with the regular quark tail".

Thank youReid Traylor

So I guess you take the chance and take the glued head off (and probably void the warranty), or just deal with it as it is. I'll have to think about this one. Not sure what I will do yet. :mecry: