Disassembling a Nitecore SRT3? Anyone done it?

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to take apart my SRT3, which I bought from a member here, and lube up the control ring. I can't see any obvious way to do this. But the old adage goes: if it was assembled, it can be disassembled.

I've searched but none of the old threads have any info.

Anyone here taken apart a Nitecore SRT light, specifically the ring, lately?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not handled an SRT, it looks similar to the Jetbeam RRT-01.. but it could also be like the Sunwayman V11r
I have tested a few different control ring lubricants… I recommend Nyogel 767a

I have done several RRT-01 control ring relubes
oPDfXf8.jpg

it is complicated (requires full disassembly)
1. remove bezel, lens, reflector, unsolder LED star
2. remove driver
3. separate the control ring halves (there is red locktite), then remove the control ring. Dont lose the little ball and spring. (although they dont do much, thick grease is the best strategy)
4. clean out, then relube.

I have done a couple sunwayman, much simpler
V10r Ti:
ythfrPa.png

V11r:
8Sx672Y.jpg

1. remove bezel, lens and reflector, then separate the control ring halves (no need to remove star, nor driver)
2. clean and relube

======

if you post some photos of your SRT3 as you proceed w disassembly, I will answer questions

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't Nitecore follow the Fenix model of assembly? ... VERY heavy on the threadlocker.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
both use threadlocker
you can see my control ring separation tools are not wimpy
and I use locktite to reassemble the control rings

the key difference between the Jetbeam 2012 RRT-01 pictured above and Sunwayman is the location of the driver wires.
On the jetbeam the wires go through the control ring assembly, so the driver MUST be removed before splitting the control ring halves, or the driver wires will get twisted and shear off. This pic of the 2012 RRT-01, is how NOT to do it:
QSPF5hPl.jpg

the 2019 RRT-01 is more similar to the Sunwayman configuration:
(star does not need unsoldering, and driver does not need to be removed when spliting the control ring assembly to lube the control ring)
daxLq2v.jpg

I'd like to take apart my SRT3

you may also want to make plans for an LED swap while you are in there...
28rn0wZ.jpg

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
SRT5 is similar if not the same as SRT3, only output is reduced on 3.
Removing bezel ring is easy, handtight.
Remove lens and oring and reflector will drop.
Behind reflector you'll see a ring with 5mm LED. Wiggle it out but don't pull like is the last thing you gonna do. Just a bit so you can desolder 4 tiny wires (color coded). Mark their positions on the ring

Now ring and red-blue LED is out and you can see small MCPCB with main emitter.
Desolder pps and neg wires and take it out.

Only now you can unscrew top part (reflector part) from the ring and driver section.
Pics coming later. Festive feeling made me drunk a bit so when i sober up i might find some photos.
PS sorry for bad wording

Sent from Tapatalk

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Eeeeeyikes I'm in over my pay grade. Looks like some silicone dry lube dripped into the ring assembly will be my method of choice.

But I appreciate the responses, those photos and everything will really help anyone else who's looking to do something similar.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
jon_slider, thanks for the great info and pics! Also what is the blue tube in your lube kit?

blue locktite (actually Permatex brand, Medium strength) for putting the control ring back together :)

Eeeeeyikes I'm in over my pay grade. Looks like some silicone dry lube dripped into the ring assembly will be my method of choice.

yes, that can work too
I dont always feel like disassembly, to lube a ring

the Nano Oil in the pic is an option.. it has a convenient needle applicator :)
a little bit worked in from top and bottom of the ring can be sufficient for some needs..

enjoy your SRT!

Last edited:

Latest posts