DIY FLASHLIGHT DIFFUSER IDEAS

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
they seem to be still on sale. mine has a part number 98024. idk if they changed it from frosty to clear and left the same part number, i doubt it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00003CX3C/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Thanks. I just experimented with something else that is promising.

I just cut a piece of clear plastic from a soft drink bottle and then used a piece of sand paper to scuff it up.

This is similar to what 3000k did above. The advantage is it's cheap and you can start over if you scuff it up too much.

Attaching it to the lens won't be as easy as Press and Seal but where you can easily get to the inside lens it looks promising.

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
I was just using tissue paper and a rubber band as a temporary diffuser for photography.

Not too durable but it really worked well.

Of course I had to look at it while the flashlight was on. Not too bright an idea to do that, because the light was damn bright!

I Know Nothing

Newly Enlightened
Hey... I made one exactly the same way as in that video (before seeing it). With the frosted plastic (acrylic?) from a DVD case. Very pleased with it.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't get any simpler or cheaper than this: :crackup:
4350691041_7d2bf55b94.jpg

4350691137_9a11f68192.jpg

Adjust the air in the balloon to control the light diffusion. I'd imagine if you used a long and skinny one, it'll be very close in profile to the conical diffusers but this works great for casting 360 spherical wall of light.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
OMG, I almost spewed my coffee when I saw the second picture, before I read balloon, I thought safe flashlight use... LOL

But what a great idea, you could use colored balloons for different affects...

Brian

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using a white KrazyGlue tube for quite some time now. It fits most aaa lights, and I know for sure that it fits my Maratac aaa and Fenix LOD CE like it was made for them. This thing works fantastic, and with a lanyard to hang the light on the commode door knob...well you know where I'm going with that. Makes a great night stand light also.

0007015800005_L4.jpg

Sam_0586.jpg
Sam_0587.jpg

And then I have the lamp/lantern for my JETBeam M1X that I made from stuff I had laying around the house. Here is the link to my post about it.

M1XShadeD.jpg

M1XShadeE.jpg

padelis

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't get any simpler or cheaper than this: :crackup:
4350691041_7d2bf55b94.jpg

4350691137_9a11f68192.jpg

Adjust the air in the balloon to control the light diffusion. I'd imagine if you used a long and skinny one, it'll be very close in profile to the conical diffusers but this works great for casting 360 spherical wall of light.

Cheers,
Tim
Incredible ingenious plan :rock:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the caps from 2L Coke bottles. I sand them down to make them thinner and get the logo off.

They fit good and tight on most Surefire E series bezels, especially KL4 and E1B.

Not sure if they are the same size in the US....

Hope this helps - they are red diffusers of course!

Pete :grin2:

Been lookin' for a diffused red filter for awhile! Will definitely have to try this. I tried spraying some glass frost (which works perfect for removeable lenses (M@g's/SF's) on my F05...didn't have quite the results I expected...Thanks for the tip! Meganoggin'! Anyone know where to get a 2L Coke cap in Iraq???

GregWormald

Enlightened
If you want a diffuser that leaves you with a floody flashlight then a small circle cut from a soft CD/DVD case works well. Cut it with little 'ears' on it and it will snap into place on top of the O-ring that seals the lens.

If you want a 'lantern', then go to the local film processing outlet (yes, some people still use film) and get one of the white 35mm film canisters. Cut the lid to fit the light and use the whole canister.

Greg

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
I have found that cutting a circle of the 4sevens "green packaging" works to diffuse fairly well.

jankj

Enlightened
I was just able to squeeze a fourseven quark into the mouth of an empty water bottle. The result was satisfactory, and provided light for our camp meal. As always, your mileage may vary - in particular with your local brand of water bottle.

prof student

Enlightened
If you want a diffuser that leaves you with a floody flashlight then a small circle cut from a soft CD/DVD case works well. Cut it with little 'ears' on it and it will snap into place on top of the O-ring that seals the lens.

What's does that look like?

low rez

Newly Enlightened
I use a 35mm film canister with a hole cut into the cap. Fuji films are all white translucent including the cap. They work great and have a flat bottom to stand up on.
1321979184.jpg

1321979183.jpg

Var

Newly Enlightened
Would these work or are they too translucent? Unfortunately they only sell in cases of 48 but it's still less than 20 bucks.

The one i'm looking at is 39mm wide x 94mm long so I think I could get it to fit on the 40mm Nitecore EA4 pretty easily. I was thinking of using one at full length for lantern and one cut short just as a diffuser.

What do you guys think?

9VRIQ.jpg

Latest posts