Do you like your Lumapower LM31?

loving light

Newly Enlightened
geepondy,if she already has an E2 why not get an led droppin for it?,it will last 2+ times longer(I am just guessing,I do not have one)my thoughts are: if you already have it how can I make it fit my needs,upgrade bulb(to an led in this case) and by the way are you suuure it is for a friend:nana:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider an E2 LED upgrade but the whole point is I'm sick of supplying the CR123 batteries. I tell my friend's and families whom I have bought or they bought on my recommendation, CR123 lights, how easy it is to buy the batteries on the Internet but they all think it's my sacred duty to supply the batteries for them. Anybody else have that problem? I myself don't really like to use my CR123 lights anymore. The only one I use with any regularity is an E2 with a Chop modified KL1 head.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
I'm the proud owner of a LM31 and it's been my EDC for around half a year. I'm quite satisfied with it -- it's definitely a no-nonsense EDC that I wouldn't shed a tear over if I lost it (as opposed to some of the pricier alternatives).

The beam is good, the runtime is good, and the price is right. Also, I might be the only one on this side of the planet who appreciates this, but the UI is so simple. Click low, click high, click off. None of this "half push the butt end and twist the top 1/4 turn and back" stuff that sounds like you're playing that Bop-it stick thing that was popular a few years back.

I don't, however think it's Fenix quality though, mine came with a defective tailswitch and I don't think I'm the only case of that on these forums. However, both Lumapower and BatteryJunction were excellent help and got me a replacement free of charge. After that, I've had absolutely no problems with the light and I use it heavily (and have dropped it multiple times).

You might also want to look at the OLight T15 as an alternative to the LM31 if you want a step up in brightness, runtime, and features. IMO the T15 really nice (I just ordered one), but it's not good bang-for-the-buck when compared ot the LM31.

Alero

Enlightened
Build quality is at least equal to Fenix and I'd say the HAIII coating is even a bit tougher than a Fenix.

pbs357

Enlightened
How is the brightness on HI compared to DX's sku 1995 that also has an SSC and has been bought by many? Still looking for a budget small, bright single AA light for my mom, and don't know if the extra money for the LM31 would be worth it in her eyes.

Dark Matter

Newly Enlightened
I got the LM31 for my wife. She EDC's it as likes the easy interface. I would highly recommend to any non-flashaholic for it's AA battery (find anywhere), quality and ease of use.

dm

dervishMe

Newly Enlightened
Do you have to go through the whole Low, High, Off every time?

What happen if I only use it in Low most of the time? Do I have to go to High before Off everytime?

Thanks

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have to go through the whole Low, High, Off every time?

What happen if I only use it in Low most of the time? Do I have to go to High before Off everytime?

Thanks

You can leave the switch in the tailcap in the low position and use the head as a twisty switch. :)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeing both the LM31 and LM33. I like the simple two level UI, the style, the level of apparent quality vs. cost, and the size.

But, is the 33 significantly brighter on 'hi' than the 31, and just how bright is the 31 on 'high,' in estimated lumens? I understand the beams of both are more 'floody' than the Fenix, which might be a good thing. I've also read a few reviews, but they seem to post different lumen/lux readings for the 31, and I'm confused. Is the 31 brighter than say, a Civictor or Fenix L2P on the 'hi' setting? I know Lumapower says it produces 80 lumens, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
Batt junct is no.1 place to buy from. MattK and staff will look after you no matter what. :twothumbs

I agree, Battery Junction had great CS. I've bought several lights from them, with good service. In fact, I e-mailed MattK with a question about what he would recommend for a new EDC pocket light, and his recommendation was right on. I've talked to him a few different times over the last year, and he knows what he's talking about.

Lightmax

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have an LM33 and bought some LM31s for my parents. They are both great little lights. I wouldnt mind a little more throw, but when you think about it, a 3d maglight didnt even put out this much light so you really cant complain.
Build quality is good. I had one with the LED assembly go bad and batteryjunction replaced it for free.
The coating isnt anything spectacular, it rubbed off slowly as a result of being on my keychain.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
I've been eyeing both the LM31 and LM33. I like the simple two level UI, the style, the level of apparent quality vs. cost, and the size.

But, is the 33 significantly brighter on 'hi' than the 31, and just how bright is the 31 on 'high,' in estimated lumens? I understand the beams of both are more 'floody' than the Fenix, which might be a good thing. I've also read a few reviews, but they seem to post different lumen/lux readings for the 31, and I'm confused. Is the 31 brighter than say, a Civictor or Fenix L2P on the 'hi' setting? I know Lumapower says it produces 80 lumens, but I'm pretty skeptical.

I don't have the L2P. I have the Civictor and the LM301 (virtually the same as the LM31). Since the Civictor is supposed to be 30 lumens, I would estimate the LM31 as 45 lumens. However, I would estimate the LM31 using a 14500 at 60 lumens.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
The anodizing does rub off at the corners, at least the blackness fades, but that's been a problem with most of my black lights... IMO you really need the neutral silver color not to notice this effect.

The light does survive drops and falls very well.