Does anyone DISlike the ProPoly Luxeons?

Do you like the ProPoly Luxeons?

• I have the 3C, and I dislike it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me said:
It has me wondering if it is execptional, or are the other ones the norm?
If you don't have 2 to compare, you guy's will have a hard time answering that question, but at least, how's your tint? What's your thoughts?

I have had 4 of these lights at different times, and there is quite a bit of variability in brightness, beam shape, and tint.

My first purchase in 2005 included both the best and the worst samples that I've seen. One, which I still have, had a very bright and warm-tinted Luxeon and perfect focus. The other was greenish and very dim, with about half the output of the first one.

I bought two more this year. The tint and output here was more consistent this time. Both Luxeons were bright, and one was probably W0 while the other appeared to be X0. The beams, however, were not as tight as they could have been. I don't know if this fact is caused by sloppiness, or whether Streamlight has chosen to sacrifice a bit of throw to get a larger hotspot. :shrug: Has anyone purchased a SL Propolymer 4AA recently and gotten a super-tight beam?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like what Raven said in post #2. . .

I had a Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon, and unfortunately disappeared at work when I was using to drop test it off a 50' lift. It survived about (3) drops, mostly bezel first, and still worked!

Anyways, when I did have it, I was more than impressed with it for the money. Now I see that Fox International (Dealer's Corner) has them for $25.00+, so time for me to get another one.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're mass produced, low cost items. There are some variations in manufacturing where some hotspots may be tighter than others. I received one that had a pretty tight spot; it didn't seem as usable as the ones that had the "normal" spot.

asdalton said:
I don't know if this fact is caused by sloppiness, or whether Streamlight has chosen to sacrifice a bit of throw to get a larger hotspot. :shrug: Has anyone purchased a SL Propolymer 4AA recently and gotten a super-tight beam?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
... the runtime is perfect...

Does that mean it runs forever? Anything less is not perfect.:laughing:

Though I acknowledge the merits of the ProPolly Lux 4AA, and have actually backed it as a light for many people, especially AA fans, I wouldn't buy one myself. For anyone that already has embraced CR123 powered lights and especially those with RCRs, there are worthy alternatives. I got one of the Nuwai TM115X 3W lights from Lighthound when they had them for $25. It was a great, not-so-well-known deal while Lighthound had them. Throw just about as good as the Propoly (2750 vrs 3000 - virtually unnoticeable difference), smaller, only two batteries (I don't like more than two), moderately adjustable/focusable beam with good spill, and here is the kicker: two output levels. Battery life is not as good, but the low level makes up for that by lasting much longer, which is all you need most of the time anyway. And just carry spares, they are easy to change.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha, Blind, very funny. I meant that the acceptability of the runtime is perfect. Six hours of such bright light on high-capacity NiMHs is excellent.

There are many other good lights, especially lithiums. As its own light, though (IMHO), it's excellent. As you said, it's very easy to recommend.

I'm quite fond of the SLPPL4AA, as it was my first real flashlight, so I'm probably biased in its favor.

Hey CHC - I remember reading that thread just after I got my ProPoly! I tell that story whenever I want to describe how tough that thing is.

It's also very affordable.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine but have the curse of being able to find the faults in almost anything.

1) Tail switch is easily depressed and can come on in a backpack etc. (not a problem for me because I made a case for mine)

2) Head feels very big but, that is a consequece of the reflector which is what makes the light so good in the first place.

3) It is easy for the module to fall out or fall off of the body when replacing batteries. Practice is the only solution.

There's something else I can't remember at the moment.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Mine came with a set of Energizer batteries. One of the cells died after 30min.

But what i really don't like, is the heavy purple tint one my particular light,
most likely a *ya*

Bought one for my brother with a green *X1* tint.

Does anybody know how to swap the emitter?

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
HiltiHome said:
Mine came with a set of Energizer batteries. One of the cells died after 30min.
Ah ha! That's the same problem that thezman had! Perhaps something useful will come of these corroborative reports.

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
I love my SL4AA. Only wish that it is just a little bit smaller and have a LuxIII in it. Maybe Streamlight will put a LuxIII in it in the future.

thezman

Enlightened
HiltiHome said:
Does anybody know how to swap the emitter?

I do. If my memory serves me correctly, the aluminum reflector assembly is a very tight press fit into the aluminum collar that holds it in place. It was very hard to get apart, and cosmetic damage to the exterior of the reflector and collar did occur.

It's not a light I would want to take apart again, especially if I had to put it back together to working order. Not saying it can't be done, just that it won't be done by me again.

My advice, don't go there.

Solar Wind

Newly Enlightened
I bought an SLPP4AA in the spring and love it.

The throw is definitely what I got it for. Flashlightreviews.com sold me on it through Bright Guy.

Nimh cells in it work incredibly well.
sold.gif

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solar Wind said:
I bought an SLPP4AA in the spring and love it.

The throw is definitely what I got it for. Flashlightreviews.com sold me on it through Bright Guy.

Nimh cells in it work incredibly well.
sold.gif
FR and BG for me as well! I haven't needed to change the batteries yet, though.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:mad::mad:

4AA ..... Loose battery connections, poor contacts

dims and blinks while being used

Tried to fix many times ....... can't

Springs are strong enough and connections are clean

Prob. will send in for warr. replacement

At least it is covered by a GOOD WARRANTY :grin2:

:mad::mad: 80% of the rest of our lights we buy don't have ANY warranty !!!!!!!:mad::mad:

.................... TMG..:grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMG, I presume you're waiting on the warranty replacement light to arrive before casting your vote, correct?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
TMG, I presume you're waiting on the warranty replacement light to arrive before casting your vote, correct?

:ohgeez::laughing: well ........... yeah .................. I guess............:popcorn:

. . . . . . . . . . TMG..:grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
thats one flashlight I dont need to worry about corroding when I go to the beach or do swim in the pool.

YES I EDC A FLASHLIGHT WHEN IM IN THE WATER...GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?:lolsign:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
meeshu said:
Yep! Me!!! :ohgeez:

Why? Plastic! I don't like plastic bodied lights! :thumbsdow

I don't care how rugged and/or reliable the lights are. The plastic body makes them look cheap. I prefer the look and feel of metal bodied lights. :)
Really? It looks pretty cool to me. I have a black one, so the entire light is solid black, and most of the body is textured. Combined with the huge head, I think it looks very business-like. Also, plastic's solid coloring hides scratches better than does metal.

Note that I fully agree with you that metal-bodied lights are usually very cool.

And if good looks are important to you, stay away from headlights! They'll make you look like a miner! :laughing:

Latest posts