Does the CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra 1xAA have a successor?

Spordin

Enlightened
he original Infinity would run 30-40 hours (41 hours was the manufacturer claim) on an aa alkaline, with some reports that it would run 100 hours on an L91 lithium primary. The Infinity Ultra was more like 20 hours

I distinctly remember a CP review of the CMG from about 6 or 7 (?) years ago w/ pics that pegged the run time at close to 100 hrs. Granted, it wasn't bright enough at the end to do anything except maybe read, but the run time was way longer than 40 hrs. After that review I never saw the need to do a test myself.

Marduke

Flashaholic
That depends on your definition of "runtime". Is it "usable light", or "end of semi-regulation", or "glows like a firefly"?

Spordin

Enlightened
I think I'm confusing the run time of the CMG Infinity vs. the Infinity Ultra. The Ultra was brighter and had about half the run time of the original non-ultra. Can't find that review I was talking about.

That depends on your definition of "runtime". Is it "usable light", or "end of semi-regulation", or "glows like a firefly"?

Well, I'm being quite particular here, in that I'm referring to "semi-usable" toward the end of its run time in very dark conditions, like camping/hiking. For urban/suburban use, no not bright enough to be very useful. But inside a tent where it's so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face, it doesn't take much light to be "useful."

Spordin

Enlightened
Crenshaw / Bansuri, have you tested a Pak-Lite with just one LED (not both) turned on? I have 2 but have never done a run time test. I wonder how it would compare to the Safelight. Guess I could test it.

Edit: The Safelight site says 2 years for "Glow" mode, using a Duracell Ultra cell. The Pak-Lite site says 1200 hrs (50 days) on "low" mode, using a lithium cell. But then the "low" mode for the Pak-Lite is probably (?) about equal to the "Power Save" mode on the Safelight in terms of output, and the Safelight "Power Save" mode is only rated at 160 hrs.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit pricier at $39 but the new Quark MiNi AA twisty will be quite small, will have a much better beam and tint than an infinity and the first mode that turns on (low) will be 2.7 Lm for 60 hours, with the option of getting much brighter if needed.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
And at 49.95 comes Peak's El Capitan which uses an XP-G and your choice of 1 of 8 levels, there currently isn't too much info on these, but I'm sure level 1 will have an awesome brightness to runtime ratio.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ITP A2 EOS looks like it might be a good successor.