Dorcy 1AAA review...

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
I'm going out now to buy a couple. Has anyone noticed if there is enough meat on the head to turn it down on a lathe?

Defectfully
Patrick

Cougar_Allen

Newly Enlightened
Some of you probably know me as a knife knut and gun gnut, but I'm only a neophyte flashlight fnut and this is my first post here.

I picked up a Dorcy 1led few days ago. After I played with it a little I put a fresh Everready Gold in it and turned it on to see how long it would run. After 7 hours I couldn't stay awake any longer, and it was just as bright as when I started to my eyeball gauge. I compared it to a minimag from time to time as a check, shining them both against a white wall, and I couldn't detect any dimming.

The next night I turned it on again and after 1 1/2 hours (8 1/2 total, but not continuous) I noticed it was getting dimmer. At 9 1/2 hours it was barely glowing at all, about the level of an Indiglo watch (ie bright enough to find a keyhole at a range of a few inches). I turned it off for 5 minutes, turned it on and it was at full brightness again, for a while. I compared it to the minimag again, and it looked just as bright as when the battery was fresh. I also tried swapping in a fresh Everready Gold and couldn't see any difference. I swapped the test battery back in and it dimmed pretty rapidly after that and died completely at about 12 1/2 hours.

-Cougar :{)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogosha, what are you planning to make out of it? Just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cougar, welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the runtime info. It actually lasts longer than I would have thought. IMHO, for $6 it really is a marvel.

Wish my local Walmart would get some more in stock, so I could buy them all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i went to local walmart and got more lol.also picked up a aa mag light with holster and s spare bulbs for 7.88 i love deals

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the "guts" out of one of my Dorcy 1AAA lights, and stuck them inside a Brinkmann Legend 1AAA light. It took some modding to the reflector and a makeshifht "extension" to the bezel end of the battery tube, but it turned out quite nice! For only $6.00, I'm probably gonna buy a couple more to "cannibalize" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif...It does take some modding to other lights due to the length of the circuit board that the step-up converter is on, and modding my 1AAA Legend was a real PITA, but it was worth it! (sorry...I don't have a digicam to post pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

PJD

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD, actually, I was gonna ask for some pictures of your handiwork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It sounds neat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Any chance you can take some photos with a regular camera, then maybe scan them whenever you get the roll developed? Or mail the photos to me, and I'd be glad to scan them for you. PM me if you need help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you think your modded Brinkmann is any brighter than the Dorcy light, and does it have a different beam pattern?

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott...Brightness of the hotspot is the same, but the transition from hotspot to corona is much smoother, and because of the Brinkmann's larger reflector the peripheral light is noticeably brighter. I posted instructions in the Mods forum...for pics I'll PM ya tomorrow (I don't even know the current "status" of my regular camera, as I haven't used it in so long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

PJD

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
OK , Got the light, last one on the rack...and in tactical black!!! Question is, can it be cramned into a solitare host?

Defectfully
Patrick

Empath

Flashaholic
As a special request, please begin a thread in the Mod forum regarding the mods, and leave this one for discussion of the stock Dorcy 1AAA.

PJD, please don't respond to the questions about your mod in this thread. Open a thread in the Mod forum for it. Thank you.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
did some one say there is a black dorcy? i got blue silver and red .waa lol i have 2 blue i wanted diff colors what colrs are there?

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
After reading all these replies I had to go to Wal-Mart and get me one of theses Dorcy 1AAA. I just got home with it and took it to the testing lab (my bedroom with the door shut and lights off). I compared it first to my EDC which is a Pelican L1. The Dorcy was slightly brighter than the Pelican and the flood area was just as big. I then compared it to my Streamlight Key-Mate. I couldn't tell any difference between the Key-Mate and the Dorcy. I would say it was a tie.

I did not find any looseness in the tail switch of the one I bought, that some of you were talking about. I did lubricate the threads and the O ring with a dielectric grease.

For six dollars I am impressed. In fact I am going to do what Raggie is doing and try to get one in every color. I got a gold one tonight.

My favorite pro team won last night, the Colts. My second favorite pro team is winning right now, Green Bay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple of them, a red and blue one. They had several left so I thought if I liked them I could go get some other colors. Decided they were pretty decent and went back 2 days later....guess there are plenty of flashaholics around, they had one silver one left.

Seems a tad brighter than my CMG Ultra. So far I am impressed.
Hopefully our Wally-World gets some of the other models in as well.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
...Not to be overlooked is the fact that I can turn it (Ultra-G) on/off with one hand, a feature the Dorcy AAA also has but interestingly, the Arc AAA doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott,

I wonder if you have an unusually stiff bezel fit. I have several ARC AAA's and most of them are easily operatred one-handed, especially when lubed, but some are as hard to turn as yours' seems to be. I'm a little disappointed at this inconsistancy.

Brightnorm

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, I don't hold it against ARC because I'm using a couple ARC AAA seconds. Maybe that's why they were seconds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Some of my Ultra-G's are also fairly stiff, yet I can still turn them one handed. It's not just the stiffness, but also the fact that ARC AAA is too small for me to get a good grip on with the rest of my hand while my thumb and forefinger are twisting the head. The Ultra-G is just big enough that I can hold my pinky against the lanyard attachment flange on the tail to keep the body from twisting while I twist the head with thumb and forefinger. Maybe I just haven't mastered the technique with the ARC AAA yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

At any rate, that Dorcy 1aaa tailcap pushbutton capability is a terrific feature in a $6 light, even if it is more tempramental than the ones on, say, the Surefire tactical lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
sorry if i already posted this.i cant find it if i did. but i had mine in a cup all night in 5 inces a water with it on it still works and stayed lited to the batts died

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, you're extreme, dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I'm not sure what made you decide to dunk your light in a cup of water all night, but it's a pretty cool test. Nice job!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
sorry if i already posted this.i cant find it if i did. but i had mine in a cup all night in 5 inces a water with it on it still works and stayed lited to the batts died

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's where you posted it, with a photo even.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Hey guys!
I've been looking around for a clip for this puppy. Finally found a cheap resolution. I had this highlighter in my desk for awhile. Looked at it closely and discovered it had a clip on it that just might fit the dorcy.
Lo' and behold, it fit just nicely! Just an FYI.

Here's a coupla pix of the pen the clip came from.
fd49353bus1.jpg

ad49349bus1.jpg

Sorry, I'm at work and can't take a picture of the dorcy w/the clip.

Danno
ps - good pen, too! =-) dd

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened
Got the last one at the local wallyworld, Great price, good light. Brighter than my Infinty Ultra. Think I will try to find some more. Looking for the 1AA 3 LED dorcy as well?
Any ideas?