Durable cheap lights

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
On a slightly higher priced end, but still around the $15 mark, I'd have to say Infinity Ultra/G.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... I think the Ultra G HA is the best value on the market now. It's definately the cheapest light with hard anodizing.

10+ hours burntime, built like a tank, HA, $15
A real value, great to give to kids. If they lose it, not such a big deal.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe, Thanks for the address and phone number. I'll pound the pavement and check out some hardware stores, and if that fails, I'll give them a call. The last time I checked out the Ray-O-Vac 3-D's, the package said made in USA, but the tailcap said Thailand, so it could be that they were switching over to the foreign ones, but had some left over packaging.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr, I just checked the Koehler-Brightstar website. Many of those lights look just like the Ray-O-Vac Industrial line of flashlights. Do you think they manufacture them for Ray-O-Vac, or is it the other way around?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I broke open a box of a dozen flashlights in storage at work. They are Ray-o-vac brand two d-cell jobs labled as "Industrial" right on the lights. Beam is tighter with fewer dark spots than I would have expected. Contruction however is cheap, cheap, cheap! I wouldn't give them more than a couple months use before they failed. But they are inexpensive. Next to my E2e, they are nothing, I guess I'm just spoiled!

GregR

P.S. I'm glad the Khoeler Brightstar (sp?) are better made than normal. I know that they do make some good lights including the Survivor, but not necessarily cheap.

I bristled at the word "cheap" perhaps if the thread title had been "Which lights are great values?" I might have had more positive input. I equate cheap with crap.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have no idea if there's any relation between K-B and Ray-o-vac. Probably those yellow industrial lights all look pretty much the same.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Big Ed, they are not the same! Yes they look similar.

Of course I have a KBS 3D, I mean I'm a whacky flashaholic right?

It ain't bad, but I prefer the Rayovacs. The plastic on the Kohler is kinda slick. It feels plenty tough though!

You have to look at the tailcap on the Rayovacs. The package says light made in USA or Thailand.

Maybe it's a hardware store versus BIG HONKIN CHAIN store thing?

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I didn't start this thread to play up cheap lights. Sure the best thing to do is always to get the right tool for the job. But I see it this way, all of my lights have their place, from the cheapest ones to the most expensive ones. I have lights I would loan to neighbors and I have lights that I won't let anybody touch but me.

It is great that a lot of us here have some good recommendations on cheaper(pricewise) lights and finding products that are pretty well built and reliable.

Businesses are always going to buy cheap lights. I don't know of a company out there that issues SureFire's or Streamlight to it's employees. Law enforcement is the exception. Heck, even if you look at most industrial tool catalogs, they don't offer high quality lights. Usually about the best thing they offer is a Mag or something.

I work for an ISP. We have UPS systems and a generator. I take great pride in making sure that I keep the UPS and CAT running in top shape. Sure it takes care of things, but that's no excuse. My department (System and Network Administration) has learned to expect worst case scenario for anything. So we purchased plenty of flashlights. Mostly Garrity, but there is some Mag and Rayovac thrown in there too. And also several of the guys in my department insist on carrying their own lights just because their take their tools seriously. I carry a SF G2 everyday. One of my co-workers carries an Inova X5.

One can never have too many lights. I'm just glad we have lots to choose from.

--Jason

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Jason, I was able to convince my boss to buy 10 of us Surefire E2e's. I guess there are exceptions to everything.

But we are not normal company employees. We are ERT (Emerg Response Team) Leaders for a Semiconductor Chip manufacturing company. This is a dedicated team that exclusively handles Safety, Security & Chemical Spill incidents and are fully trained in Haz Mat using Air Pacs and all the way up to Level A suits (Moon Suits).

Yes we prefer to use cheaper flashlights for some incidents Non-flammible) as they are just as likely to get tossed after an incident as deconned.

So there you have it, in my opinion inexpensive flashlights are good if they are going to be giving away to those who don't appreciate better, and in circumstances where they will be tossed/destroyed.

GregR

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this thread has got me thinking. I really should get some cheap lights to keep on hand to loan or give away if needed.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Home use;

I have four of the garrity 2AA lights with momentary & locking switches. One each for Mom, Dad, and each kid. Kids beat the hell out of them. A good cleaning with some 600 emery paper every 6 months on the contacts where reachable keeps them in good working order.
Rechargeable AA's feed them.
Packing them to travel, I remove the batteries because of the momentary button, or leave the batteries in and place some paper between the head and battery contact.
I keep my real lights away from the kids. The cheapo lights teach them to be careful, yet appreciate how valuable lights are.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
So there you have it, in my opinion inexpensive flashlights are good if they are going to be giving away to those who don't appreciate better, and in circumstances where they will be tossed/destroyed.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point exactly! Each type has it's place. I guess that's why I have all grades of lights. Some of mine I don't care if they get tossed around or beat up.

At work, there are people I wouldn't trust with a flashlight from the dollar store. You know, one of those simple solid color plastic ones from Eveready that essentially you are paying for the batteries and it comes with a free light.
And like I said, I work with some people who are very serious about their tools, nothing but the best.

I am the same way about my tools. I have my good tools, then I have my cheap tools that I loan out. I don't loan out Craftsman, Snap-On, or Mac. Sometimes I am even picky about loaning out my Husky and Kobalt tools.

--Jason

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in my Air Force days, before I knew any better, the "cheap" lights I carried around the world were a Mini-Mag double AAA light, a double AAA Pelican light, and a mini crook-neck double AA light I bought at a pawn shop for $4.00. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They all worked great. I carried the mini-Mag for the longest(still works), and I still have the Pelican(it works, but clip broke off). Just in the last few years have I "learned" that my pocket lights were not the "best". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have been out of the military since 1997. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Cheap lights are what I have hanging near every strategic position in this house. Most are Rayovac or Sams Choice 3D with a 3 cell Xenon bulb in them. One is just to my right here at the 'puter. One right by my place on the couch. One inside the front door(this a Dorcy 4AA LED). This reminds me to put one by the throne!

Some of this is because they were built to hang. Some because they make awesome beams for cheap!

I CARRY very good lights. There ain't nothing better or smaller than an ARC AAA. And Infinity Ultra is no bother along with SAK Tinker in left front Jeans pocket. Can carry a decent variety on my belt, but have settled on G2.

But to USE around the house or out on the job I'll pick up an Alkaline powered light every time.

I don't have much in the way of hand out lights. But if I do get any, they will probably be 2D Rayovacs.

The Rayovacs are EXCELLENT lights for cheap. Not the smallest, brightest or even toughest. But damn good for small coin!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
The Rayovacs are EXCELLENT lights for cheap. Not the smallest, brightest or even toughest. But damn good for small coin!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2D Rayovac Workhorse that I've used from time to time for the past ten years. Its beam is bright, white, and narrow. I've probably treated it more gently than average, but I'm amazed that it still works perfectly--despite having the notoriously awful copper slide switch design. I just clean the contacts with an eraser every few months.