DVD burners that rock for diodes.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened

roSSco

Newly Enlightened
LG 20X Dual layer w/ Lightscribe.
Model# GSA-H55LI
open can
Driving it with 560mA :eek: and it doesn't get hot! (in my well heat sinked flashlight mod).
It lit a match 20' away. :eek:oo:
I don't have power measurements...yet.

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
hey i'm a total noob ove rhere, i got a 16x laser diode from stonetek, the beam works but seems very broad not even close to a beam. is there anything i can do for this? i've heard about diodes being adjustable but i'm not sure if its possible.

roSSco

Newly Enlightened
hey i'm a total noob ove rhere, i got a 16x laser diode from stonetek, the beam works but seems very broad not even close to a beam. is there anything i can do for this? i've heard about diodes being adjustable but i'm not sure if its possible.

It sounds like you need an Aixis module. This will allow you to focus the output.

Those are very good diodes btw. ;)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5914

roSSco

Newly Enlightened
i have an axiz module, i just place it in there and it will become a tighter beam?! i'm so stupid haha

Disassemble it and carefully press the diode into it. Reassemble and adjust the lens.

Phenol

Newly Enlightened
LG 20X Dual layer w/ Lightscribe.
Model# GSA-H55LI
open can
Driving it with 560mA :eek: and it doesn't get hot! (in my well heat sinked flashlight mod).
It lit a match 20' away. :eek:oo:
I don't have power measurements...yet.

naughty.gif
That's good news. I got 2 from a similar LGs - H55N /normal?/ and I take it they are identical to the Lightscribe ver.
Have you tried smth with the IR one? It is also an ~'open can' /missing window, the can itself is still there/.

jake25

Enlightened
i tried fitting the new diode in before, ( i dont have access to the supplies atm) and it fit in fine, do i need to do anything to make sure it stays?

roSSco

Newly Enlightened
It should be obvious to the most casual observer that it will not fall out...if it is properly inserted. ;)

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
I read thru several pages of post and did not see what I wanted . forgive me if this is coverd as this is my first post. Has anyone sucessfully replaced a weak laser in their DVD burner?

Joe Nobody

Newly Enlightened
Where I live, the only place that sells DVD burners within reasonable travelling distance is RadioShack. The only DVD burner they sell there is the MADDOG MD-18xTFI. I have torn it apart before and the diode is open but it is a small, black, plastic rectangular diode. I don't know the output power and if anyone does know for any reason, could you please post your findings?

Phenol

Newly Enlightened
Where I live, the only place that sells DVD burners within reasonable travelling distance is RadioShack. The only DVD burner they sell there is the MADDOG MD-18xTFI. I have torn it apart before and the diode is open but it is a small, black, plastic rectangular diode. I don't know the output power and if anyone does know for any reason, could you please post your findings?
it seems you have gotten a frame-type LD. in fact, if it is the only LD in the pick-up, i would assume that it is dual - combining the red and IR emitters in one package. if it has 3 leads, the middle one is probably ground /common for cathodes of both LDs/. The other two go to their anodes, respectively.
The output power is probably in the 300-350mw pulsed and 120-130mw cw range. for example:
http://www.rohm.com/products/shortform/20laser/laser_index.html

nabiul

Newly Enlightened
I took apart what seems to be an old no name dvd-rom and found two closed can diodes and the optical pickup, is it normal two have two lasers or is one of them serving some other function?

Phenol

Newly Enlightened
I took apart what seems to be an old no name dvd-rom and found two closed can diodes and the optical pickup, is it normal two have two lasers or is one of them serving some other function?

dvd rom you say.... in this case one of the lasers is red /dvd section/ and the other is IR /cd section/. the ir one is mostly useless due to its low power and visibility. the red LD is probably around 5-7mW @ 660nm, not much brighter than a cheap 3mw pointer

nabiul

Newly Enlightened
You were right, one of them is a red, just a little bit more powerful than a laser pointer I think, but it heats up quickly at 2 volts. I think I fried the IR one however by reversing the polarity, my digital camera doesnt pickup any traces from it.

Also what do you know about mini disc player lasers? I have one that seems to have both the laser and receiver in one packaged unit, theres also some kind of filter in front of it.

Phenol

Newly Enlightened
Also what do you know about mini disc player lasers? I have one that seems to have both the laser and receiver in one packaged unit, theres also some kind of filter in front of it.
Mini CD players also have infrared LD as a light source. Its power may be even lower /~3mw.../ to further reduce power consumption from batteries. For me it is hardly worth extracting it. If you want burning capability, go for burner drives.

Latest posts