E01 or bust

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix eo1...

Good if they're making a replacement for it. Sad if they're not. Such a solid and reliable little light. I've got a couple of EO5's, but they're different, and not quite the same. The EO1 is just so simple it makes using it a breeze. No worry about modes or whatever. Just on or off with a mega long runtime on a lithium cell.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayfarers aren't made by Ray ban anymore. I think the company was taken over by someone else

Sorry, that was insensitive of me. Sorry for your loss. I have a pair that they "think" they can fix

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayfarers aren't made by Ray ban anymore. I think the company was taken over by someone else

Sorry, that was insensitive of me. Sorry for your loss. I have a pair that they "think" they can fix

:thinking: Wrong thread ?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: Wrong thread ?

I was referring to the first post...pay attention. Although most of this stuff goes on in my head and I forget to point the it out in my posts. But I've been told to stop talking out loud because people don't need to know what's going on in there. Oh hell. How did i end up here...?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bausch & Laumb designed a pair of sunglasses for aviators that were said to 'ban rays' of sunlight. Hence the name Ray Ban. Like SureFire was once called Laser Products and so many folks asked for their initial offering that was called the SureFire, the name eventually stuck.

For years Ray Ban was an off shoot of Bausch & Laumb and eventually there were various models made by B&L under the Ray Ban monicker. In 1999 B&L sold the Ray Ban name to an Italian company called Luxottica for $640 million.
B&L has been passed around a bit here and there and trade under the name Bausch Health these days making all kinds of eye care products.

Classic Ray Bans had Bausch & Laumb labeled lenses at the outter edge, which was enscribed. When Luxottica bought the name the lenses began showing Ray Ban on them in the upper right corner of the right lens in white. (Right while wearing them perspective.) Authentic Ray Ban by B&L were US made. Current Ray Ban's are Italian made (not Chinese).

And now that the E01 is no longer in production it looks like the E05 might be a decent alternative. Starts out 8 lumens, then 25 and 85 options via the twist head, rock solid digital regulation, IPx8 and already has a floody beam. Trouble is our favorite $10 option is now $20 if the E05 is chosen. Sigh....

Burgess

Flashaholic
While I certainly DO like
my Fenix E05 (multi-mode) flashlights,
I am a bit disappointed to find
they simply GO OUT when battery
is exhausted, with no warning at all.

< sigh >

Just something to keep in mind . . . .

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
While I certainly DO like
my Fenix E05 (multi-mode) flashlights,
I am a bit disappointed to find
they simply GO OUT when battery
is exhausted, with no warning at all.

< sigh >

Just something to keep in mind . . . .
Not on mine. Just this morning I was using it. I have the 1st level, the 2nd level barely looked and brighter. Going to level three made for no light at all.

I replaced the battery and all is well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
E05 ordered. I read it has sudden shut off when fuel cell reaches a minimum amount so no more vampire. I can live with that.

When I enquired about Ray Ban origin at my favorite sunglass salon it was a few years ago. I called the store this morning and they told me they don't sell non Italian made Ray Bans based on customers insistance.

So I'm down to a pair of NIP E01's and two users. If the E05 sucks, I still have plenty of the E01's for a while (since Fenix has decided to stop making them).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
E05 arrived. 'snot an E01, but 'snot bad either.

My stock olive E01 can go back to shelf queen status again. Mrs Fixer confiscated my purple one that was sanded to be floody.

Beam-wise the E05 is what the 01 was lacking spread-wise and tint-wise.

I really like the 8 lumens at startup Fenix engineers. Well done.

Burgess

Flashaholic
takemymoney.jpg