EagleTac MX30L3 XH-P50

naked2

Enlightened
Does that beamshot look too good to be true to anyone? My Dad always said "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is". Could it be Photo Shopped?
That beam shot really really tempts me. I was planing to have a convoy c8 built with a xhp50 but this is tempting. If only it didn't cost 100 bucks more than I can get the c8 built for
I got mine (kit model) for $135; no tax, free shipping.

Last edited:

Blacklance

Newly Enlightened
I too am interested in this light. I'm looking for a good all-rounder with very nice throw.

I was playing with a TN32 I bought as a gift for a friend and love the throw but it doesn't have much useful flood on lower mods and feels just a bit to thick in my hands.

The other lights I am considering is the M43 Goldilocks (a bit worried it will feel like a stubbier TN32) or Vins modded MX25LCvn. I've also got a message out to him to see if he can make the MX30L3 even better.

Thoughts?

naked2

Enlightened
I don't know anything about those other three lights, so I can't help you there, but here is what I posted about this light in another thread:

Pros:
1. The construction is second to none.
2. SUPER deep reflector, AR lens, and SS bezel are works of art.
3. Side switches with instant access to min and max are almost perfect-
White button: click to switch on at min, four more clicks for brightness levels, fifth brings you back to min. If you want other levels than min/max from off, double click, triple click, or quadruple click, but you must use black button to switch off at any level (also being able to click-and-hold the white button to switch off, for example, would be better, IMO).
Black button: click to switch on at max, click again to switch off; click-and-hold for momentary, release for off; double click-and-hold for super fast strobe, continue to hold for fast strobe, continue to hold for repeat, release for off; all other blinky modes are hidden.
4. Three cells drain almost exactly even. I'm using 3x Keeppower 3.4 Ah; when one cell's protection tripped, after resting it read 3.27V, and the other two read 3.28, whereas when my N.C. TM06 trips a cell, two read about the same (3.27~3.28V), and the other two read about 3.88 (IIRC).
5. As far as output, all I can say is Holy s**t! I don't have any type of metering; I can only judge by sight (don't even THINK of looking into the max beam; it might result in permanent damage!) Even while tailstanding on my coffee table, looking at the max hotspot on my eight foot cottage cheese ceiling causes temporary blindness! As far as beam profile, believe it or not, it is VERY similar to my E.T. G25C2 XM-L2 U2, or my S.W.M. D40A XM-L2 U2, only WAY brighter, with a slightly smaller hotsot.
6. Quality lanyard and nice diffuser (requires removal of SS bezel for use).

Cons:
1. The rear switch is a twin of the black side switch (same exact function and size), which I thought, when reading about before buying, was pretty cool; not so much in the real world; I rarely use it. The recess around it to make it tailstandable is much too tight, and it only protrudes about 1/16" compared to about 3/32" for the side. These two things make it very hard to click one handed in any useful grip with my thumb (overhand, cigar, or Rogers-SureFire), although it is easy to click with what I call the "spray can" grip (overhand with my index finger).
2.The holster is just that- a "holster". It doesn't have a flap to cover the head, which faces up and completely unprotected. Unlike the "case" that comes with the G25C2, it can't be used for transporting in a go-bag, center console, luggage, etc., as well as a holster.

So far, I've really only used it for spotting critters in my back yard, looking for suspicious activity on my front street (in other words, annoying my neighbors!). Once while inspecting security lighting on a commercial property I maintain, I spotlighted a John and his hire in a dark area. I plan to use it for car-camping, boating at night, and nighttime walks. Get one- you won't be sorry; I got mine at a "make offer" price of $135 on Andrew-Amanda.

planet

Newly Enlightened
Does that beamshot look too good to be true to anyone? My Dad always said "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is". Could it be Photo Shopped? I got mine (kit model) for $135; no tax, free shipping.
Where you get it from ? Thanks.

TurboTalon

Newly Enlightened
Picked mine up from Andrew and Amanda as well. Question regarding the battery indicator, only several times has the indicator flashed 4 times indicating a full battery power. Now with freshly charged Keeppower 18650's, when turning the light on low, I get 3 flashes, and then on Max, I get 2 flashes...anyone else experiencing this?

naked2

Enlightened
On fresh 3400mAh Keeppowers, I get 3 and 2 as well; I've NEVER seen 4. I wonder if lower capacity cells would give different readings. The only other 18650s I have are flat top IMRs, which won't work in this light, so I have nothing to compare to.

markr6

Flashaholic
Not the same light, but my MX30L4XC gave 4 flashes...a lot! I was shocked to see the cells around 3.9v and still giving 4 flashes when I checked on my DMM.

Then when it did finally start flashing 2-3 times, it would jump back to 4 flashes on lower modes. There's a technical name for that but I forget. Similar to when you run a battery hard and it will take some time to "rest" before an accurate measurement can be taken.

It seems like they simply failed on this meter but I could be wrong. Maybe they should have done something to measure voltage when the light was OFF.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Not the same light, but my MX30L4XC gave 4 flashes...a lot! I was shocked to see the cells around 3.9v and still giving 4 flashes when I checked on my DMM.

Then when it did finally start flashing 2-3 times, it would jump back to 4 flashes on lower modes. There's a technical name for that but I forget. Similar to when you run a battery hard and it will take some time to "rest" before an accurate measurement can be taken.

It seems like they simply failed on this meter but I could be wrong. Maybe they should have done something to measure voltage when the light was OFF.

I also have the MX30L4XC 219 version and MX30L3-C in CW. the XC does just what you described fresh Eagletac 3400mah batteries. The MX30L3-C on the other hand only flashes 3 times on the 3 lower levels and 2 times on high and thats also on fresh Eagletac 3400mah batteries. Great idea nice implementation, but function blows, totally inaccurate.
The Eagletac web page did mention its only "approximate" . Other than the blue percentage indicator these lights are fantastic, the XC for a wall of warm goodness and the -C version is like a razor with some decent throw.

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
for those that own this light. Any thoughts after using it for a while? I like the size. Hoping it has good mix of flood and throw.

Latest posts