Eagletac SST50

CM2010

Enlightened
Would the triple xp-g give the most flood? Also could u use AW18650's in this light?

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Hi dhouseng,

The new ET55 reflector design is actually shorter than the previous design, so they aren't the same. If you put the same LED in both reflectors, you will probably see higher lux reading with the old one.

However, since we used LOP finish (the old ones used regular OP) and brighter LED (SST-50 WJ bin) in the M3, you shouldn't notice much of a difference between the new model and the old model.

With the new reflector design, it removes the donut in the MC-E beam. Its smaller size also make the light more compact and lighter to carry.

By the way, you should only compare lux reading from the same lux reader.

Enjoy
Dan @ET

Thanks for the clarification.

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on getting an M2 sometime soon, just debating between the M2XC4 with the triple r2, or the M3C4 with the SST-50. I'm leaning towards the sst-50 for now though.

Also, how freakin' cool would it be if they made single-led miniature versions of these that looked exactly like the big ones just much smaller? aka., 2xaa/14500 or 2x cr2/16340 in parallel.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Also, how freakin' cool would it be if they made single-led miniature versions of these that looked exactly like the big ones just much smaller? aka., 2xaa/14500 or 2x cr2/16340 in parallel.

Glad I am not the only one who have thoughts like that. Eagletac M3C4 Mini!

nitric

Newly Enlightened
agreed, a smaller version will be nice too. palm size or the length of between 3-4". cute!

lebox97

Enlightened
no identification as to which of the 7 models is being reviewed...
We can assume the MC-E model?

9 minutes TURBO runtime using 4xCR123's?
:whistle:

I see several errors with the posted info... :ohgeez:

hopefully this was just a hasty placeholder review and it will be corrected/updated ASAP.

Tod

The M3C4 review is up http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_m3c4/

400 lumens OTF ?! ? ! ? ?

Something must have gone terribly wrong, I suspect it's a faulty integrated sphere.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
no identification as to which of the 7 models is being reviewed...
We can assume the MC-E model?

9 minutes TURBO runtime using 4xCR123's?
:whistle:

I see several errors with the posted info... :ohgeez:

hopefully this was just a hasty placeholder review and it will be corrected/updated ASAP.

Tod

It's an SST-50 model. There is a picture gallery at the bottom of the review and one of it is the picture of the emitter.

The review mentioned the light has a high current drain though. If it is driven at near 4 amps, then 51 minutes on turbo with 2x18650 is about right.
But 400 otf lumens? Happy belated april fools:party: ?

hotpotato

Newly Enlightened
great find, dhouseng!

By the way, you should only compare lux reading from the same lux reader.

Dan @ET

although i am scratching my head about the vast difference between the advertised (800) and the measured (400) lumens, i think Dan's advice is best. to that effect: on 6/5/2010, the reviewer measured a maximum of 593 lumens from the Catapult V2.

i don't believe the M3C4-SST was designed to out-throw a flashlight with a name like Catapult. i prefer the balance between throw and spill for which the M3C4 was designed, i think, and ET got it right by me.

mark.

nitric

Newly Enlightened
readings of m3c4 (sst-50) taken from light-reviews.com

Turbo 409 Lumens
High 199 Lumens
Medium 85 Lumens
Low 24 Lumens
Moonlight 6 Lumens

This is like half of what eagletac claimed. serious dissapointment.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Turbo 409 Lumens
High 199 Lumens
Medium 85 Lumens
Low 24 Lumens
Moonlight 6 Lumens

The relative numbers is what one should look at.
They look correct, so in all likelihood it is incorrectly calibrated integration sphere.
Don't use 123 on turbo, ouch 9 minutes (did all the PTC trip simultaneously?)

Scarbear

Newly Enlightened
i don't believe the M3C4-SST was designed to out-throw a flashlight with a name like Catapult. i prefer the balance between throw and spill for which the M3C4 was designed, i think, and ET got it right by me.

mark.

your right, the catapult were designed to throw. but thorw is a a question of lux, not lumen. and lumen-output is depentdent which LED you use (bin), and how hard you drive it. and then there were (much) lumens lost cause of the reflector design and the glass. thats it.

and in my opinion such a massiv light like the M3C must have at least the lumens the Catapult have.

Olaf

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Is the mega wide spill useful? The hotspot from the M3C4 seems quite small and only has 10k lux. Many single 18650 lights can do that. The only major difference is that it has a much wider spill.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened

Turbo 409 Lumens
High 199 Lumens
Medium 85 Lumens
Low 24 Lumens
Moonlight 6 Lumens

Have you got your M3C4?

nitric

Newly Enlightened
dhouseng, not yet, slight delay from the manufacturer. Wong told me his order has being shipped yesterday but yet to receive the tracking no. so if its confirmed, then most likely i will get mine early next week. (finger crossed)

hopefully the xpg is not as bad as the sst-50.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's bad news, never ending delays. Glad I ordered the M31 earlier.