Eclipse glasses destroyed by PD35

Watts_on

Newly Enlightened
To try out my eclipse glasses, I held them up to my Fenix PD35. Its 1700 lumens quickly melted a hole in the thin plastic. I believe that at a short distance, a powerful flashlight is brighter than the sun.

Attachments

• 20240329_124522.jpg
    20240329_124522.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 46

LRJ88

Enlightened
To try out my eclipse glasses, I held them up to my Fenix PD35. Its 1700 lumens quickly melted a hole in the thin plastic. I believe that at a short distance, a powerful flashlight is brighter than the sun.
I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding in this one, no flashlight is more powerful than the sun. The thing you're looking for instead is intensity or concentration of light, a weaker flashlight able to focus its beam on a small target made out of a material which can soak up as much energy from it as possible is more effective at setting fire to something than a gigantic ball of plasma many times our planet an unfathomable distance away.

That is until you get a magnifying glass and start using it along with the sun.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Was curious so I ran some numbers;

The heat flux /at the suns' surface/ is about 6000 W per sq. cm.

For context, the max heat flux of a modern microprocessor core is pushing 200 W per sq. cm.
Honestly, ~3% of the sun' flux isn't too bad. :)

Edit: that's up from ~1% ~30 years ago when I was studying heat flow in composite materials.

Last edited: