EDC strategy

LITEFRK

Newly Enlightened
LEDZEP, I feel your pain as far as trying to figure out what to use. I sort of bounce between AA and 123. I have a L1D, and L2D tube for it. I also have about a handful of Surefire lights, IE--2 G2's, a U2, E2D, Z2. I just got 2 of the Malkoff dropins for the G2 and Z2. So far, haven't ran them enough to notice any heating problem in the G2's for those of you that might ask. By the way, I have been reading off and on on CPF for about 2 years, but this is about my first real, thoughtful post.
I find myself using the L1D light for most around the house uses, like searching under the bed for a shoe or sock, or digging in the closet for something. I normally keep one of the G2's or the Z2 in a pocket for walking the dog on the trail. Here in Alaska, it's starting to be really dark, especially with any cloud cover at night. With minimal snow cover, it's super dark, and makes me look into shadows a lot...hence my fear of darkness and what or whom is in it...
Glock 23 for that...but that's another forum right...
These are the methods I carry most, but I have so many dang lights I can't keep track of them all. My wife wants me to "get rid of these da** things or I'm gonna throw them away".. ya'll know what I mean..
As far as carrying spares, have I got a website for you guys. It's called Battery Caddy, and they are really neat guys, go check them out. I hope listing the site here is ok, if not, someone will tell me I am sure. It's
www.personalbatterycaddy.com
I just bought a bunch of battery holders for my various batteries, and they seem to have the usual suspects. Some in glow in the dark green. I guess this is an endorsement, as I am happy with them, and it's helped me get control of my batteries.
Anyway, good luck figuring out what and how to carry light.. it seems never-ending..

:popcorn:

Luminescent

Enlightened
In my quest for the perfect edc light, I think I'm finally realizing that I can't get just one light that will do it all. I'll probably get a few, and rotate them depending on need and what I want to carry.

The Jetbeam C-LE V2.0 (a single AA clicky) and Fenix L0D (a single AAA twisty) make just the kind of great pair you are referring to.

This gives you a tiny little single AAA light (the L0D) with absolutely incredible output for it's size, and a little larger single AA light (the C-LE) which also has great output, but which offers about twice the runtime on high and three times the runtimes on low of the smaller L0D.

Now here's the REALLY NEAT PART. BOTH the L0D from Fenix, and the C-LE from Jetbeam have almost exactly the same user interface which simply cycles >> Med, Low, High, Strobe, and SOS (and then back to Med).

Of course the new Jetbeam V2.0 is a 'clicky' with a rear tail switch where the L0D is a 'twisty' that you turn on and switch modes with the front bezel, but both use the same mode sequence with similar power levels and even the strobe and SOS functions look almost identical. (I also have an earlier V1.2 Jetbeam C-LE which is a 'twisty' just like the L0D, which reduces the difference to near zero)

These two lights are some of the most compact, well made, and brightest lights in their classes, and the fact that they share the same nice simple user interface is a HUGE bonus for me. I like the flexibility of having low medium and high power levels (and the strobe and SOS for emergencies), but don't want to deal with sorting out different complicated user interfaces on several lights to get these features.

The C-LE is also bargan priced at less than 30 dollars with a CPF discount, so this will let you get BOTH the L0D AND the C-LE lights for the price of ONE of Fenix's or Lumapowers Franken-Light 'Lego Sets' (which just give you extra battery tube or reflector options with ONE head, so you really only have one light and can't, for example, keep one in your pocket, and one in your car as I do with the L0D and C-LE)

There is a nice deal on the L0D for the holidays if you can deal with a RED anodized external finish. I ordered one and my L0D is actually a nice deep burgundy color with a perfect water-white tint on the Q4 emitter.

This particular L0D is a special version which has a premium Q4 emitter that lets this tiny little AAA pocket rocket outperform most lights six times it's size. The Jetbeam C-LE is no slouch either, but because of the high output Q4 bin emitter on the L0D Q4 this little 'triple AAA' light will pretty much match the larger 'doubleAA' C-LE on output (though as mentioned above the C-LE still has an edge on runtimes due to it's larger battery).

Here's the link for the L0D Q4 if you are interested:

L0D Q4 special at the Fenix.Store

If I had to pick only one, it would be a tough choice. :thinking:

I love the super long 24 hour plus runtime on low of the C-LE, it's incredible smooth beam (due to a very high quality MOP textured reflector), and it's high quality super tough HAIII finish.

The L0D-Q4 also has great fit and finish and, comes surprisingly close to matching the C-LE on total output (though it's a little bit floodier so has just slightly less throw). At an hour on high, three hours on medium, and over 8 hours on low, the runtimes on the L0D are very usable, but with a light an inch or so shorter and half the diameter of the C-LE also comes about half the run times on high and medium and about a third the runtime on low, so there are a few minor tradeoffs.

So the best solution is obviously to buy BOTH of them . :twothumbs

Last edited:

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Now my question: has anyone carrying a light that uses 123's ever been in a situation where you needed a battery, but couldn't get one because of the more unusual 123 format (as opposed to the more common AA)? This will help steer the direction I go in choosing my lights. Thanks everyone!

No. Actually, I can't recall ever wanting a battery of any sort and having to go out and buy one, right away. Which does seem strange. I thought I might need to on occasion, and viewed that as an advantage for AA-powered lights, but it hasn't happened yet.

I buy batteries in bulk and squirrel them away. If expecting that I might possibly need a spare 123 or two, I either carry two lights powered by the same battery type or, more usually, an extra cell in a small nitroglycerine/ pill container. The latter are just about a perfect, rattle-free fit for 123 cells. They are found in most grocery stores and pharmacies, are white plastic with a screw top and ring seal, cost $1, and are extremely light but very tough, being made to protect a small glass vial. Most cells will lodge snugly in the recess of the top part, and it is entirely waterproof.