• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ENDED! Katokichi Ichishiki-B, KI-B is here, NEW body

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Katokichi Ichishiki-B, KI-B is here, NEW body, Pre-sale, DELIVERING

KI-B kit presale is over. Mike says, "Thank you, CPF members, for your support."
$400 is now the normal price for the KI-B kit.

While ARC mania is busy with other projects I made this post on his behalf to announce a presale of a soon to be made light, the KI-B. I will update or post on ARC mania's behalf since he will be extremely busy hand soldering components for the KI-B's special buck/boost converter. When time permits ARC mania will post from time to time.

deathofkilight2up5fk.jpg

KI light is retired.

This pre-sale thread is to introduce you to the newest ARC mania/Katokichi Ichishiki designed light, the KI-B. The KI-B kit has an all-new body, a new buck/boost converter and three battery tubes for numerous power configurations.

The KI light is well known around the world. Its small size, simplicity of design, no compromise of parts and close tolerances of the light make it popular. The KI light is retired. Katokichi and ARC mania have made the larger successor to the KI a reality. The KI-B has a modular construction, a new converter yet retained the same quality of construction that the KI series is known for.

THE BEGINNINGS OF KI-B

ARC mania and Katokichi listened to comments of CPF members. Many people have requested a light that can use different battery options and a longer run time for a light. They worked hard and burned the midnight oil to design a new replacement to create The Sapporo Project now known as KI-B. I think it is more appropriate to call the new light Baby-BIG-Brother. For more contemporary uses the KI-B is designed on a larger, all-new, platform with the outside skin of the original KI light. The larger size allows more battery options. From a boutique build the KI-B light becomes more of an everyday use light. In a slightly larger size the light still retains its simplicity of design and close tolerances of the original light. By updating the body, adding battery extenders and a new buck/boost converter the light is designed more to what CPF members wanted.

Meet the KI-B. Here is a debut picture of the light in not quite full dress. For now there is only one prototype. So hang on patiently while the lathe precisely makes the KI-B light and battery tubes.

3sideview1xj.jpg

The outside of the light is a scaled up KI classic light with the exception of the standing tail. The open circular cut was made in the tail so a ring could be attached yet when the light is stood on its tail the ring would not interfere. Similarites to the original KI light include a mineral glass window, modified 20mm reflector. The difference, besides the obvious larger size is a buck boost converter and three bodies for different battery configurations.

SPECIFICATIONS

KI-B is an upsized, modular, light that will accept different size batteries. To accommodate the different battery sizes the KI-B kit will have three different sized battery tubes. 1 x CR123, 2 x CR123 (Pila 168S or 17650 protected rechargeable Li-Ion batteries) and 1 x AA tube is included with the KI-B kit. With the buck/boost converter KI-B can run primary 1 x CR123A, 2 x CR123A, alkaline AA size or AA size Ni-MH batteries. For the Li-ion fans the light will run protected 1x RCR123A, 2 x RCR123A and 14500 batteries. The KI-B has brightness, longer run time and multiple battery choices.

To keep the light simple only one new converter is necessary for the light. The light will be using a buck/boost converter to power the different battery voltages. The new converter has an input voltage range from 1.2 volts to 9 volts allowing many power source options. To extend the run time, generate less wasteful heat and insures long life of the emitter, the converter output is running approx 375mA of current. That is good for extended run time but what about the brightness? To make up for less power to the emitter a more efficient emitter will be installed. The emitter will be using a Lux I, S-bin, emitter. That's right, a bright S-bin Lux I emitter! Early results indicate the Lux I could have an output of 51.7 to 67.2 lumens. The converter/emitter design is pared together to get the most efficient use of battery power and a bright beam. As we go along, a runtime graph will be posted showing the different battery configurations and exact runtimes.

To debut the all new design the light will appear in full dress so the light it will be hard anodized in natural color. To protect the light from normal wear and tear KI-B will come with a carrying case for which holds all three battery barrels, the KI-B head and batteries.

Presently the additional battery tubes that will be included in the kit are not shown. As soon as I get pictures of them the pictures will be added to this post.

CONCLUSION

You don't need to speculate with this light. The ARC mania/Katokichi lights have a history of demand and appreciation with age. The lights are best known for their smallest size, no compromise on parts and close tolerances in build. The KI-B kit with the extra battery tubes extends the usefulness of the KI series of lights.

PRE-SALE

You can get the pre-sale KI-B kit for $310.00. The KI-B is a number kit includes the head, three battery barrels for the use of 1 x CR123, 2 x CR123 and 1 x AA in natural anodize with chemkote interior. A holster to hold the light kit and the extra tubes is included in the kit. A starter AA battery is included.

Like the other KI lights the KI-B will be made in extremely limited quantities. Only 75 kits will be made. After they are sold they will not be made in the future. This is simply because the converter boards are so complex to make. When the kit is completed it will be sent directly from Japan Global Express. The main reason for the pre-pay is to help make the KI-B a reality. Once pre-payment ends, the KI-B will ship within 8 to 12 weeks time. During this time all updates will be posted on this thread.

The first paying members get the lowest numbers so I'm sure you can see the advantage of paying early.

The KIng is dead, long live the KIng-B!

If you are interested in the KI-B kit pre-sale you will need to post your interest in this thread. Prepayments are being accepted now. It will end one week from the starting date. Payment needs to be sent to the following e-mail address: *********. Upon receiving payment, a list on this thread will be made showing who has paid. This will be updated every 24 hours. Mike promised this, not me! When sending payment PLEASE, include your CPF name, complete shipping address and, KI-B in the remarks section.

Think it over but don't think too long! :)

As promised, here are graphs showing the KI-B converter operating. This was done by an independent tester in Japan.

Here is a picture of the head of the light being cut on the lathe.

KI-B status May, 2006

May 19 UPDATE: We found a better emitter. It is the ARC mania SuperSbin (SS). It should prove approximately 30% brighter then the original Sbin.

June 2 UPDATE: The last KI lights are going to be nice and complete kits.

Last edited:

Mikhail

Newly Enlightened
Re: Katokichi Ichishiki-B, KI-B is here, NEW body

I am in for #7. :whistle:
:paypal:

Last edited:

ken1

Newly Enlightened

i am ...#2.. :drool:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lowest unspoken for number please, PP cash sent!

TrueBlue, should CC users add 4%?

Last edited:

flashgreenie

Enlightened

#8 for me :paypal:

to think I just bought a KI today as well...:sweat::sweat::sweat:

Last edited:

alauda

Enlightened

The lowest number please PayPal on way (with name this time).

Tony

alauda

Enlightened

PayPal Sent !!!

LouRoy

Enlightened

I'm in for one. I would like # 003 please, unless that is already taken. Otherwise, I'll take the next lowest number. Paypal on the way.

alauda

Enlightened

As the second to pay can I have #2??

masakame

Newly Enlightened

paypal.gif
I have fallen into a black hole.
faint.gif

FlashaholicX

Newly Enlightened

I would be interested in one as well!!!

FlashaholicX

Newly Enlightened

I am looking forward to any further developments!!
Paypal Sent!!!

Thanks
FlashaholicX

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want one....surprise!! A low number that is left! Mike, payment as usual?

Karlthev

Latest posts