Eneloops - Made in USA?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does it matter, as long as you can get the Japanese Eneloops?

That's what trade is all about. You buy the best quality/value stuff from somewhere else, and they get your bits of paper (currency) in exchange. Then, the only thing they can do with that paper is to buy something from where you live, and in exchange you get your bits of paper back.

IMO, I would not trust any place other than Japan to produce quality Eneloops (or other LSD cells) for the foreseeable future. It takes years to get manufacturing processes up to that kind of quality. Maybe someday the Chinese Eneloops will be of equal quality, but it won't be soon. Same goes for anywhere Panasonic decides to switch production to.

It does make a difference where products are made. The trade deficit, especially the merchandise trade deficit is a significant economic challenge for the US. From a purely economic perspective, it does not matter so much where a product is made as long as it is within your economic zone (example EU) but even then it is a factor in your standard of living. From a purely national economy perspective, it does not matter if an enloop is made in China or Japan, but it still might for other technical reasons.

Free trade is a myth - there are no countries in the far east (and few anywhere else) that actually practice bi-directional free trade with the US.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does make a difference where products are made. The trade deficit, especially the merchandise trade deficit is a significant economic challenge for the US.

In the long run, who cares? You're getting a ton of stuff from China that boosts your standard of living, and in return China is getting a trillion bits of paper with pictures of dead presidents on it. Sounds like a good deal for you right now.

The only thing China can do with those bits of pretty paper, is to eventually give it back to you in exchange for some goods or services that you're producing. When that starts happening, you get to work for a living instead of just promising to pay them back someday.

It all works out in the end, and it ensures that goods and services are produced where they are most cost-effective to do so. This is why countries in cold climates don't grow our own vegetables in the winter. It's just too expensive, and it makes a lot more sense to buy them from somewhere where they are produced with all that free sun and warmth.

Sure, we could grow tomatoes in Canada during the winter, and some places actually do (to sell them to "organic" yuppies with more money than brains), but it doesn't make much economic sense.

Free trade is a myth - there are no countries in the far east (and few anywhere else) that actually practice bi-directional free trade with the US.

Graph free trade countries and prosperity on a graph, and you'll find that freer trade is correlated to prosperity. The Soviet Union was great at producing all kinds of its own stuff, but at the price of being terribly inefficient.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the USA did make their own Eneloops, they first would have to have equal or better quality than the Japanese ones and the other thing is they need to be cheaper. So far it doesn't seem likely and until then i'm just happy that i can still get Japanese Eneloops if i need them :).

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the USA did make their own Eneloops, they first would have to have equal or better quality than the Japanese ones and the other thing is they need to be cheaper. So far it doesn't seem likely and until then i'm just happy that i can still get Japanese Eneloops if i need them :).

Absolutely. Just like the Chinese Eneloops coming out now, I wouldn't trust any USA Eneloops until the factory can prove it can meet or exceed the Japanese quality. That would take time.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
About half way down the page. The specifications on mine say:

Specifications

Model No.:
K-KJS1MCA2BA
Shipping Weight (in pounds):
Product in Inches (L x W x H):
1.375 x 8.0 x 4.75
Assembled in Country of Origin:
USA
Origin of Components: