EOS: I broke the part glued to the LS. What will happen if I use it?

mrme

Enlightened
Okay, I wanted to know the bin on my new EOS. I tried cutting the glue that hold the heatsink on the LS to that diode looking part, but the4 diode broke before the glue.

It still works, but have I made it a time bomb? Will the LS overheat and ruin the light? Reliabilty is a big deal for me in most of my headlamps.

In case you are curious, the bin was RWOH. I am feeling pretty lucky, but stupid.

I cut and sanded a minimag reflector down and now the light has enough sidespill I can actually use it.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are replacement diodes availble...

thats why people recomend stick a razor blade in between the diode and the star...

The models I have bought aren't 'glued' they are acually just melted to the center of that diode...

i'm sure if you run the EOS it'll be fine.. you may just watch it if your running it on high for long periods of time... from https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/108968

you can see in the data on post 4... the heat regulator does add in resistance into the equation to help offset the current or voltage... who knows how much... I've yet to see someone who have melted the plastic housing on their EOS by their star getting to hot :D

---

after you fix it put some thermal paste inbetween the star and the diode to help transfer heat and prevent the light from sticking to it...

Last edited: