Ever try an Osram 64633 15V 150watt bulb?

Taboot

Enlightened
Just remember you'll need a fairly powerful iron; the 25W pencil iron definitely won't do it. My 50W iron / cheap station has a little trouble. The 130W weller pistol iron works great, on the other hand.

Thanks. I didn;t get a chance to do it yet. I'll break out a higher wattage iron. I suppose the problem is getting the spring hot enough.?

RoyJ

Enlightened
Yup. The spring cooled my small iron so much that it got stuck on there for a few seconds, with the solder at the tip frozen solid! (well, frozen is relative of course, as the freezing temp of the solder is what, 450F?)

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. The spring cooled my small iron so much that it got stuck on there for a few seconds, with the solder at the tip frozen solid! (well, frozen is relative of course, as the freezing temp of the solder is what, 450F?)

well i use a small gas torch since i dont have powerfull soldering iron. Do it just like a plumber when soldering a copper tube.

Taboot

Enlightened
I tried it (With a 60W iron). Seemed like I had a good solder joint and it wicked nicely into the braid. However, once I compressed the spring a few times, it started to fail on one end. I'll have try another method...

RoyJ

Enlightened
I'd tuck the wire under a spring winding to be extra secure. I soldered two thin wires (16gauge) instead of a single thick one. Two 16g wires of that length should easily handle 20amps.

Taboot

Enlightened
These are the best photos of a tailcap spring mod at AWR's site.

Make sure you dremel/sand off the coating on the tailcap spring, then use some flux. It takes a while to heat up the spring hot enough to actually bond to the metal of the spring, and using a blob of solder on tip of iron to conduct heat will help.

This is one of the things I love using my Bernzomatic Mini Torch for.

Thanks! I think I like the wire rather than the braid. I'll give this a shot tonight. What do you think the horsepower gain will be by reducing the resistance in the spring?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks! I think I like the wire rather than the braid. I'll give this a shot tonight. What do you think the horsepower gain will be by reducing the resistance in the spring?

I just measured a stock spring Mag D which had 52 milliOhms of resistance. Then a modded spring like pix shown above had only 2 milliOhms, a savings of 50 mOhms.

So use Ohms Law V=IR and plug in the current you are using by looking it up on my destructive bulb testing thread. For example 64623 has roughly 10A, so:
10A x 0.05 Ohms = 0.5V increase by doing this mod.

just for fun

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the delay in posting should have seen this long ago. I have been playing the this bulb for awhile. I am using 12 1700 elite cells in a Fivemega modded light. Its bright for sure but I for my taste is does not have the throw that other bulbs do in this set up. People sure turn away from you when you trip the switch on it though.... :eek:

The 62138 bulb using FM's 3x2 mag head will out throw my buddies q-beam spot light which I thought was rather fun. Of course you have to drop a cell out for this bulb.

If anyone wants to play with this bulb drop me a note I have extras.

Lynn

PS in fact if you want my whole set up PM me, I will sell it lock stock and barrel. I have another light coming from Mac to pay for. :thumbsup: