Eye protection question

DaFiend

Enlightened
they won't supply it, i've asked many times, you end up with an answer like " errr, they are broad spectrum.... we don't know....."

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Please pay attention to Sierra. He knows what he's talking about.

I used to play with lasers a long time ago. I had some of the very first solid state red ones. I lined up the lenses by looking down the tube. I thought they could not do any harm, since they were just fancy LEDs. They were much less than a miliwatt, I'm sure. I realized later that I had burned a couple spots on my retinas.

Most of the time I don't notice the dead spots in my vision. They are really small. It's like having a couple of extra spots where the optic nerve connects. It's irritating that that I have to shift my focus around to see things that are close up. Reading glasses help, as they make everything a bit bigger.

Please, pay attention to Sierra.

Daniel.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
just received those british army goggles. they sure do work with my phoenix. i was holing out playing with mthem till i received a pair first. so, now i have nerve damage on my middle finger frm pressing the button. i ordered another pair. oh, i got some dead spots, but they're just above ocular bones.

deezdrama05

Enlightened
Hey senecaripple- I was interested in getting those goggles, how much where they - total- to get shipped to us???

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got on ebay and placed bids no more than 7.5 euro, and 6.5 euro today. about $24.00 and $23.00 respectively. ebay will convert it for you. dont bid more than 7.5. just keep trying.they're chintzy, but they work.

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened
New user safety questions

I'm a new user here and I'm about to purchase a green laser to mount on an air gun. I have some questions about safety equipment. The laser I'm looking at has a wavelength of 532nm and an output of 5mW.

1. What kind of protection, if any, do I need for this type of laser?

2. Do they make goggles that are also impact resistant, i.e. like safety glasses for shooting?

3. Is there a danger from general exposure to the laser, or just in the unfortunate event of having one shined in your eye?

I saw some safety glasses made by Uvex that said they can be used for industrial / scientific applications including lasers, but did not specify any certain types of lasers.

Thanks!

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Re: New user safety questions

If you stick with 5mw or less, you should be ok as long as you use common sense. At that power rating the laser should pose no real threat if the exposure is minimal, as the blink reflex will kick in before damage occurs. That is not to say you could point it to your "opponent's" eyes on purpose either, that'd be unethical and reckless on your part.

As for goggles, I don't know of any that could be used for a "gunfight". Also, they'd be hindering your sight as they're tinted red and will turn everything a strange color (I don't know how cammuflage will look like through one of these :grin2:). Also, the coatings on the glasses are delicate and could scratch easily.

Don't use more than 5mw . It will put you and everyone else in danger, and will give your position away to the enemy very easily.

livetofall

Newly Enlightened

I thought 5mw could cause damage if directly to eye. Who wants to bet money this thread gets closed or dissapears?

Bisquitbarrel, for your interest and safety, Keissling has compiled the sticky threads into a thread titled threads of interest to save space on front page
one included is on eye safety and protection..here it is:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/76267

Vision is irreplaceable, there is no cure for laser damage, its not even worth the gamble. I could see attaching this on a gun for killing troubling groundsquirrels. but not something for team gaming.

Last edited:

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't play on teams, just target shooting, but I'm still worried about accidents and reflections. What about a 20mw laser? Is it still "harmless"?

wells05

Newly Enlightened

If it is going to be used JUST for non-living target shooting, you MIGHT be ok. I really wouldn't recommend it though - as you said refections can occur no matter how careful you are. If you are of a curious nature as most of us here are, you'll end up using the laser for other things. A 20 mW greenie will look pretty cool in dark places and at night. By asking if there are goggles with ballistic properties, I assume that you wear protetive goggles when shooting anyway. Would you take a chance shooting w/o protection? If not, why you would you go with out when using a laser?

I have seen some goggles/glasses on eBay that claim to be Military issue and have laser and impact protection. I emailed one seller asking about the 532nm wavelength. He stated that the manual DID NOT specifically say protection from the 532nm wavelength, but it did say "green" laser protection. He stated that he would look into it more if I wanted him to. I did not follow up though, as I picked up a pair of DeWalt red laser enhancer glasses (blocks all non-red wavelengths - works almost too well) off ebay for $6. Might be worth looking into though as if it does offer protection, it would cover your needs. Just make sure and do your homework before buying, as I don't know any more than I stated - they could be junk. I think the pair I was looking at sold for around $20 shipped.

Last edited:

stump

Newly Enlightened

While an air gun lacks the recoil of a real gun, it does jar anything mounted to it. It is my understanding that the green lasers aren't very shock-resistant. I'd hate to see you damage it.

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened

wells05 said:
I picked up a pair of DeWalt red laser enhancer glasses (blocks all non-red wavelengths - works almost too well) off ebay for $6. Might be worth looking into though as if it does offer protection, it would cover your needs.

That's interesting. I have some red lasers but none of them are visible n sunlight. Have you used the Dewalt glasses outdoors? I'm wondering if they might help with the lasers I have now, but at the sametime they might be a little "too red".

Thanks again everyone!

wells05

Newly Enlightened

Let me rephrase what I meant to say. I didn't follow up with the Military Style glasses because I bought the DeWalts. I don't think the Dewalts would offer much impact resistance (they are thick plastic, so maybe a little). But they make EVERYTHING red. I can see my laser level's red beam somewhat better with them, but I wouldn't want to have to concentrate on something like shooting with them on.

What I meant to say was you might want to look into the military issue glasses on eBay or military surplus stores, if they acually protect for the 532 nm wavelength. But like I said, a bit a research is required if considering them.

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened

I think I found the military goggles you were looking at on eBay. The wording is vague, so I looked on the manufacturers site. I believe the goggles are not laser proof, and the laser protective version is optional. It is green colored, versus being protection against green lasers. I'll keep poking and let you all know what I find out.

wells05

Newly Enlightened

I just looked as well. I can't seem to find the type I was looking at a while back. They looked like the old school Gargoyles, remember "The Terminator." I think the lenses were redish/amber. I'll look around some more as well. These are a few models currently on eBay. They say they have laser protection, blocking 85% of all light, but none have much tint, or say anything aout green lasers. Most green laser goggles at least have somewhat of a red tint to them. I doubt that they would give much if any 532nm protection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MILITARY-GI-TACTICAL-EYEWEAR-w-2-BALLISTIC-LENSES_W0QQitemZ220026892740QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILITARY-ISSUE-GI-EYE-GOGGLES-w-2-BALLISTIC-LENS-NIB_W0QQitemZ220026892908QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-Gentex-goggles-EPS-21_W0QQitemZ250029908767QQihZ015QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT:

I just found this:
http://www.ubid.com/GENTEX_US_Army_Ballistic_Sunglasses_kit/a601680999.html

It has ended, but it states that green laser protection lenses are optional for $15.00 more.

Second Edit:
http://www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=339
The lens is green, and only protects from IR, so scratch the above edit. A few of the other military goggles I found only offer protection from IR as well.
http://www.alpinesurvival.com/military-helmets_bullet-proof-police-helmets.html Scroll down, 2nd to the bottom:

Defense and Aerospace Group manufactures and supplies glacier military goggles for ECW applications and military goggles for ballistic protection and laser eye protection applications. Both goggles share the common durable impact resistant frame that provides excellent ventilation with anti-fog properties.
We produce a ballistic and laser protection military goggle (BLPS) that provides ballistic protection up to 800ft/sec as well as laser eye protection in the IR range of 800-1070nm. The goggle meets or exceeds V50 impact rating of 727 FPS, .22caliber and provides and excellent IR protection against most types of lasers encountered in the combat field.
</FONT></FONT>
Ballistic protection to the equivalent of a .22 caliber exceeding V50 727 FPS

I think this idea is fruitless, as it looks like the only laser protection available is for IR. Probably need to look elsewhere. Sorry! :crazy:

Last edited:

biscuitbarrel

Newly Enlightened

OK, the impact resistant option is out.

What do you guys reccomend just for general laser use? I may buy one of the "Leadlight" lasers mentioned on this board just to play with.

wells05

Newly Enlightened

Wicked lasers has a good pair for $68 shipped. They are specificly made for green laser protection.

If you want to go cheaper, the tool kings/DeWalt red laser enhancers seem to work ok. They are not specifically made for green laser protection, but they seem to work. My DeWalt's block almost too much, as I can just see a faint dot.

I don't think any of the glasses block IR, FYI.