fenix t1 or surefire c3 centurion

buckhunter69

Newly Enlightened
ive decided its time to get an upgrade from my previous surefire 6p im some what loyal to surefire but i wouldnt mind getting a change and i was thinking about the fenix t1 it looks to be more efficent ive ive noticed the cost is alot less i want to keep my budget under 150 any other sugestions and whats better and why

jugg2

Enlightened
The R2 would be the "latest/greatest" bin of Cree LED coming out. IIRC it will be slightly brighter and more efficient than the bin out now. I have heard that the improvement will be so small, you will not be able to tell the difference. But I don't know, thats just based on talk I've heard. I love my T-1 though, it is an awesome light!

cal..45

Enlightened
@bh69

seems like you are looking for a good thrower. in that case I would consider other brands rather than a fenix T1. don't get me wrong, I love my P2D as EDC and honestly think its one of the best flashlights available. but I think you still can get better than a T1 and stay under 150$ as well. maybe you should have a closer look on the dereelight DBS and this thread maybe is interesting for you: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184710

regards, holger

jugg2

Enlightened
The fenix T-1 will tear up the 6P, I have a G2, and there is no comparison. The T-1 has longer throw, and the beam is just as smooth. The beam is also very white, compared to the G2 which is whiteish-yellow.

BaldBull

Newly Enlightened
@bh69

seems like you are looking for a good thrower. in that case I would consider other brands rather than a fenix T1. don't get me wrong, I love my P2D as EDC and honestly think its one of the best flashlights available. but I think you still can get better than a T1 and stay under 150$ as well. maybe you should have a closer look on the dereelight DBS and this thread maybe is interesting for you: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184710

regards, holger

The T1 is the best thing going for $70

nickz

Enlightened
The P91 lamp in my 9P doesnt have much more throw than the standard P90 lamp. It does however have great flood. As stated, it does not throw anymore than the standard lamp assembly but it does light up a larger area with brighter light. To be honest, I personally don't think the 9P(same lamps as the C3) has much more throw than the C2. It just lights up a larger area with a slight throw advantage. This has been my experience with my C2 and 9P in short tests in my back yard. I never did camera beamshots to compare.

I just picked up a C3 for EDC so I can swap between it and my C2 depending on what I might be doing that particular day. As stated, you could upgrade your 6P with a surefire led drop in or if you can get your hands on one, a malkoff drop in. These are both good choices that I can personally recommend from experience IF you want to go the Led route. Personally I have trouble with color rendition with any led light I have ever owned. That is why most of the time I use and buy incan lights.

If you are not going to be toting the light around in your pocket all day, an M3 even without turbo head is a good thrower. I personally think this is the best upgrade from the 6v lights throw wise.

buckhunter69

Newly Enlightened
so you would agree sticking to the incan lights and surefire lights and you dont think you need anything much brighter?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T1 may be a decent (even great) light, but it will never be more than it is right now (without a mod that will probably cost more than a replacement). The 6P has the advantage of never being more than a P60-compatible drop-in (currently $10-$55) away from the latest/greatest LED.

If you just want something new, I can understand that. But there's really no reason to replace a 6P. There's nothing more flexible or easily upgradeable.

Last edited:

buckhunter69

Newly Enlightened
yea thanks thats really something to think about that never came to mind and you and really beat the reliablitly of a surefire light so do you think i should get a better sure fire light for more money than 150

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are times when I find that so-called white light LED flashlights are just not as good illuminators as incandescent flashlights. When light quantity and beam intensity are not as important as light quality - especially when you're interested in the light being returned from an object, at distance, outdoors.

So what I'm saying is that if you can appreciate your 6P's beam over an LED beam then a three-SF123A model will give you more light coverage (rather than more intense light). If this appeals then your choice is 9P, G3 or C3.
I prefer the Nitrolon over Aluminium so I'd rule-out the 9P in favour of the G3.
However, the C3 has a pocket clip so if this is important then it trumps the G3.

As mentioned, if you get a Fenix you get the 'current highest output LED' - a fashion item IMHO (nothing necessarily wrong with being fashionable of course).

As also mentioned, if you get a SureFire you are in many ways getting a 'host' for a variety of options - not just those options available now but those that will be available in the future ;)

If I was thinking about the future I would likely get a C2 rather than a C3 (in my mind a three-SF123A SureFire is for those who are active users of light for their job).

If I had only a 6P and was considering getting a more powerful incandescent I would seek out a SureFire dealer I can visit and see/handle the products for myself before making a decision.

Gary123

Enlightened
This info about surefires is all very interesting. I have a lot of lights, but very little in the way of surefires.

If I am thinking about the future and want something easily upgradeable, in a 2 x 123 or 1 x 18650 format, what would my choice in a Surefire be if I want an led light? I would like a low mode and I do have a two stage McClickie that fits the Executive series body.

Last edited:

davidra

Enlightened
I think as long as you've got the 18650 qualifier in there, you have no Surefire choices without buying a Leef body. I believe only some of the U2's will fit an 18650.

dulridge

Enlightened
[Personally I have trouble with color rendition with any led light I have ever owned. That is why most of the time I use and buy incan lights.
[/quote]

Colour rendition has never been an issue for me with LED lights - depth perception has/is/and forevermore will be - FOR ME. YMMV

Colour is not an issue for me when it's dark, range is...

Gary123

Enlightened
So, my question still stands -- is there a Surefire that is easily upgradeable to the next gen led. 2 x 123 format preferred.

Would be nice to have hi/low, even if obtainable by a mod. I have a McClickie (resistor) hi/low switch for the executive body, so it would be cool if the light used the executive body, but doesn't have to.