First impressions of a SureFire......

artar

Enlightened
Size15s : can you recommend some shops ? Where did you buy in the us ? What have i to do about the tax of the product ? What will cost shipping to Germany ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can email these companies about postage. The best way to find out about the inport tax is to ask at a post office or something.

So online retailers I've heard some good things about:

Tim Flanagan
Arizona Gun Runners
Tanners
BrightGuy
Lagger Pro Services

Why not email them with what you would like to order and get them to quote you...

Al

artar

Enlightened
i got this answer from Greg @bright Guy :

"We ship outside of the United States via United Parcel Service. Shipping
charges alone can cost approximately US$70. You would be responsible for
any import taxes and duties that Germany would impose."

70$ only for shipping is too much for me. I will wait until the E2 is available here in Germany or maybe i get some day to the US and buy a lot of flashlights.

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghost:
70$ only for shipping is too much for me. I will wait until the E2 is available here in Germany or maybe i get some day to the US and buy a lot of flashlights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe you should have an american friend that could send it to you as a gift. Or are those taxes high too?

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
I think though, it may be older stock. The beam is slightly oval/egg shaped... I really can`t wait to see the newer ones- they must be even better.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, I can guarantee you it's older stock. They don't sell them any more. The replacement model is the Z3, which has some slightly different features (like, gee, the ones you described).

Second, as a fellow 9Z owner, I also have to say that my 9Z beam is more oval than my almost perfectly round 8X beam. (Yes, I said 8X, not 8AX... I bought 'em both used.)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don't knock the LockOut TailCap!
IMHP, It's one of the best features that SureFire have created.

Also, the Anti-roll Bezel has saved some of my SureFires several times from rolling off tables, car roofs, and ledges.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

OK, Lay into me, Bikers. I've been sucked into surefire E-series but can't tell if they will work for me. In fact they shouldn't. They were definitely not made for me, except that they are so wonderfully good to look at, light, powerful and compact.

The problem looks like I will not like the beam. It's too concentrated. I'm not sure any beam spreader will ever give me enough side light for bike-riding.

Telephony's E-2 shot in his studio is the best clue I have that there is some sidelight.

And no, stores are not open when I am free and I can't get to a store for two more weeks and if I do it will be daytime. And, just how many do I want to order and return? SOO...

Good fellows...please tell me if there is some Surefire configuration that really works for bikes at night. Let me rephrase that. Something with no more than two cells or maybe the size of an 8X rechargeable.

You see, I have a hard time mounting big flashlights on bike bars or fitting big lights in my briefcase.

I found the best mounting solution by far in the shape of a perfectly made, small rubber mini-mag-light-block. It looks just right for an E-2 or a 6P or a 6Z with a tape switch. The lights will fit right into the tubular rubber groove of the lightblock. So, whatever I get shouldn't be much bigger around or too much longer than a minimag.

One thing. Bikeriders leave emergency lights on a long time when their main lights go out or get left at home, so heat might be a problem.

My favorite config. looks like the upcoming 25 lumen on an E-2. I think the 15 lumen on the E-1 will not be enough but it looks wonderfully small and compact. Any way, I don't know that, usefulness depends on the reflector. I can ride on 15 lumens with an ideal reflector.

When I run my typical Specialized 4AA emergency light, potholes surprise me...too much spot...even with 91L's. With regular cells not enough spot.

I don't think other emergency/compact lights are much better and they are way less interesting (cool) than a surefire.

So, calling all riders...

StJoe

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, my wife rides her bike while I run at night. Next time we go I will take the E2 and E1 with us, I also have a beamshaper for the E series so I can add that for comparison also. I would go now but it is raining here. If I don't post anything by thurs leave another note in here to remind me to go running
wink.gif

Brock

Skyline

Enlightened
All SureFire lights are fixed focus in a somewhat concentrated beam. It does have useful peripheral light, but for upclose work, you can use the BeamShaper to spread out the light. It's a diffuser.

/mel

Size15's

Flashaholic
The difference is that with a SureFire, you know when the BeamShaper is being used. It can be added or removed quickly without having to switch on to ensure a perfectly focused beam.

And, those who don't want it, don't have to have it which keeps things simple.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Brock and 500 lumens to you.

StJoe the enlightened.
smile.gif

Spidey82

Enlightened
How abt getting a second main light for your bike???
in that case if will serve you as well as your main light, because it is the same light.
and i don't think it will cause as much as an E2 (am i rite??)

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, StJoe, I went running and made my wife carry the E1, E2 and the beamshaper/filter for them. The E1 is to dim for either my wife or I. I like the E2 without the beamshaper, my wife likes it with the beamshaper. It depends on how fast you ride. With the filter on it lights about 30 - 40 feet and about 1 lane wide. The E2 without filter (the way it comes) lights about 60 to 80 feet and about 1/2 lane wide.

The other great thing about the E2 is that it is the same size as a 2 AA mag so any holder for the 2 AA Mag should hold the E2. Oddly enough I think the egg shaped beam of the P60 (Surefire M2, D2, 6P, C2...) might work better, but I didn't try it. The E2 would be smaller and more useful in other situations. However the M2 has great shock absorbing system which might protect the lamp better than the E2 in a bumpy situation.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you Brock,

I've thought about the M-2 for it's drop resistance and heat resistance. I hadn't thought about the P60 egg shape beam. Sounds like the 25 lumen lamp on the E-2 isn't something to wait for. I imagine the 6AX is less of a reliable backup and the combat lights seem iffy.

So, it's 65 lumens and an M-2 to you.

From sunny Chicago.

StJoe, who heretofore knew not near enough
rolleyes.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Never heard of a 6AX?
I assume you mean 8AX?!

The [Millennium] CombatLights - M2 & M3 are far from iffy! Maybe you are referring to the Z Series? What do you mean?

Thanks

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The M series is iffy because of size and the deep bezel. Not because of how well made it is.

Is it too big for carrying every day in your briefcase, even when you don't think you'll need it?

Will it fit on a rubber minimag light block if you do?

Does the deep set bezel reduce side light?

Will a Z series fit the minimag block better?

And yes I meant the 8AX, which turns on with the bezel so I don't know if I can switch it on and off with one hand if the main light goes. But the light beam seems to have considerable sidelight.

I also might use the setup off-road on my mountain bike so my extreme weight sensitivity is tempered a bit. A minimag is a standard backup. Like in caving.

But I don't want a second main light because I am using my setup for daily commuting. I have a mile or more of walking each day. My 360 lumen Light and Motion NIMH setup is new and I don't have and can't get a fuel gage for it. I have 20 hour rated lamps so they are not terribly dependable.

Buying a second battery is a bit more expensive and lots heavier than a small Surefire. Brock's point about the oval light beam on P-60 being possibly better than an E-2 sounds interesting.

With Brock's comments on the E-2 as a starting point I can compare everying else to it even in daytime. I've looked through the bike catalogs and nothing fits the requirements of hybrid commuting....bike, train, walk in a high theft environment.

StJoe

Brock

Flashaholic
You know the more I think about it the more I would lean towards the M2. It has so much better shock isolation for the lamp and you might need that. As far as size goes the M2 is larger and won't fit in a AA mag holder, unless it is quite flexable. The M2 is pretty small and would be easy to carry on a daily basis. Check out this image for the size of the lights. The C2 and M2 are almost the same size.
http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led/E2-comp.jpg

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well, this is very helpful.

Now I kick myself. I missed the chance to buy an M-2 on the Surefire board a month or so ago because I didn't want to make a mistake. I guess it's impossible to do.

Here is another thought. There is a recent a report from california about an 8AX with 2 batteries and charger for $94 bucks that supposedly has lots more sidelight than an E-2. That's the second report on the 8AX having nice sidelight. But it just uses a P-60, I think, so it's light should be like all the other P60 units, except for the large bezel lights.

Hate the on-off switch on the 8AX though. Probably no chance to install a tape switch to my handlebar for trail use.

So maybe those very spot-beamy photos I see of the 6volt units are just an artifact and maybe Telephony's room shots of the E-2 are closer to the truth. Maybe the side light of any P-60 will be better than any E-series with an M-2 being a little more beamy but acceptable and a lot more beamy with the Turbo.

I love the idea of the M-2 but I thought it would be pretty "pointy" and pretty big. Beam lights are tricky to ride. I get scared by black spots in the road that I mistake for potholes. I get scared by black ice that I spot too late.

The reflector on my Light and Motion Apex Cabeza unit is a custom-made factory peened job. It is rated the best for its voltage class and I think, is first or second best overall helmet light for evenness of light spread, distance of spot and light color.

<A HREF="http://www.bikelights.com" TARGET=_blank>

web page: Light and Motion homepage</A>

web page: for Mountain Bike reviews...look at spotlight section, cursor down to light comparison and photos its old but still OK.

To all flashaholics,

StJoe says go.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif