I have been testing it
outdoors continuously,
exposed to weather and
South-facing sunlight
since November 15, 2021.

BTW --
Pencils are the most Long-Lasting
lightfast writing medium on it.

I have something similar that's sold under a different brand name. The paper feels kind of like linen or plastic.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have something similar that's sold under a different brand name. The paper feels kind of like linen or plastic.

This is definitely a plastic,
with a slightly "rough" surface
so it "grips" the writing instrument.

Manufactured by JL Darling,
makers of Rite in the Rain papers.

BTW --
I have also tested "Stone Paper" products
(various brands).
As they state, they are not
Bio-Degradable,
but they are Photo-Degradable.

Prolonged Exposure to Sunlight
(several months) causes them to
get Brittle and Crumble,
like dried leaves !

Just FYI . . . .

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the 1990s I used those gold filled Cross pens and pencils that my parents had.

Around 2005 I bought a used Mont Blanc which some member here has now. I also used Waterman fountain pens which had high-capacity cartridges. I kept losing it at work to sign and date forms so I retired it from use.

In 2008 or 2009 I started using stainless Parker Jotters because it was the James Bond pen. At the time they were still made in the UK and now it is France. It is debatable if USA, UK, or France is more preferable but the USA ones had brass internals I think. I stuck with these when I went to Uni and all the way through to the halfway house when I was assisting some people in getting employment.

I used the Fisher as long as the Parker. They are just too cool with the Nasa/Cosmonauts using them. They are very well made too.

I've also used Caran d'Ache pens and I really like them and Shaffer(spelling?) but I don't think they are around any more.

iacchus

Enlightened
I've also used Caran d'Ache pens and I really like them and Shaffer(spelling?) but I don't think they are around any more.
You can still buy the Carans and Sheaffers. Although I hear the latter isn't the same quality as it used to be.
Caran just came out w/ a ltd edition pen made from used Nespresso cups, flaunting its commitment to the environment.

Rotring makes a fine pen as well.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't EDC a pen, except in my car. There I only have a couple of the Free ones I pick up at TD bank. I usually have two. The last time I was challenged looking for a writing instrument that worked (like the OP) I think the ink was frozen. I reached for what I considered my emergency writing tool, a grease pencil.

1710668310385.png

Unfortunately, it too, wouldn't write, the "lead" was too hard.

I switched to a carpenter's pencil.
1710668547153.png

At work we use Pentel Twist Erase XP mechanical pencils, we try to keep at least two of them at each desk, and anywhere that one may do some writing. I now have one in my brief case, and in my car.
1710669033925.png

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I don't EDC a pen, except in my car. There I only have a couple of the Free ones I pick up at TD bank. I usually have two. The last time I was challenged looking for a writing instrument that worked (like the OP) I think the ink was frozen. I reached for what I considered my emergency writing tool, a grease pencil.

View attachment 59225

Unfortunately, it too, wouldn't write, the "lead" was too hard.

I switched to a carpenter's pencil.
View attachment 59226

At work we use Pentel Twist Erase XP mechanical pencils, we try to keep at least two of them at each desk, and anywhere that one may do some writing. I now have one in my brief case, and in my car.
View attachment 59227
It was too cold for a grease pencil to work? Wow, I hadn't considered that. I keep some white and black grease pencils around for quick & dirty labels on wall-warts and related things, but those are always indoors in temperature controlled areas. I didn't realize they can freeze solid. Thanks for the heads-up Poppy.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It was too cold for a grease pencil to work? Wow, I hadn't considered that. I keep some white and black grease pencils around for quick & dirty labels on wall-warts and related things, but those are always indoors in temperature controlled areas. I didn't realize they can freeze solid. Thanks for the heads-up Poppy.
Yeah, THAT really surprised me too!