FLASH LIGHTS that armies use around the world?

Wurkkos

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
What flashlights do armies use around the world? What brand do they use? what countries use them?

bdl931

Newly Enlightened
From what I've seen, (Canadian Army), general issue is still the angle head 2 D cell light. Some units I've been to have LPO (local purchase order) either AA Maglights or a cheap Maglight clone. Keep in mind that I'm not special forces or anything like that, I'm a Weapons Technician, so my scope is rather limited.

Randall

Newly Enlightened
Some time ago I heard that the British military to cut spending, even armed aircraft are sold, it is estimated matches :)

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Some time ago I heard that the British military to cut spending, even armed aircraft are sold, it is estimated matches :)

Well if we can continue to build two new aircraft carriers knowing there are no aircraft to put on them, matches are not that big a leap in imagination.

BTW, great avatar. Made me smile.

Size15's

Flashaholic
What's wrong with just fighting in the day? Perhaps if armies got a decent nights sleep they'd be less inclined to fight each other.
Arguments can be easier to resolve if you sleep on it and come back refreshed...

That's World Peace sorted.

purelite

Enlightened
Size15s you silly goose!!! They need flashlights to go out and pickup the casualties and all the body parts strewn about the battlefield so they have a nice clean place to fight the next day!!!!! They also need the flashlights to clean weapons and pick the intestines out of the tank treads!!! If you dont get that crap out right away they get all rusty

P.S. World Peace will never happen

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Not sure if I like the slant this thread is taking in the last 2 'contributions'... anyway, if you want to really upset soldiers in a dark 'situation', turning on any type of a flashlight is a pretty good way to do it.

DaveTheDude

Enlightened
I served in the U.S. Navy. There was no standard issue flashlight...you could use whatever brand of light you wanted, because you bought your own. The bridge crews used (and continue to use) red filters on their flashlights to preserve night vision, which is essential at sea. These bridge lights however are typically low powered, because they don't need to illuminate much of anything more than ten feet distant.

At night while at sea we rigorously enforced the "no lights on deck" rule, including prohibiting matches and lighters to fire up a smoke (on the antiquated theory that any flash of illumination, however dim, might give your position away to the enemy...or so the WWII era thinking went).

Inside the ship, there was no shortage of illumination, and nobody gave it much thought, unless they worked in one of the main engineering spaces. (Lots of good reasons to have a reliable flashlight down there.)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC hundreds of thousands of INOVA XT5s are in use by SPs/MPs of numerous militaries. I've read that INOVA's MIL sales dwarf their consumer sales. I've seen USN SPs carrying XT5s.

Early on the PAK-LITE was produced for B-52 bomber crews.

Last edited: