Flashlight explodes at LAX!

RH

Enlightened
LAX is shutdown thanks to a flashlight exploding due to "corroded batteries" and injuring 7 people. It will probably be much harder to fly with lights now.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh, my mom just told me about this and the way she said it it sounded like terrorists were hiding a bomb inside.
corroded alkalines don't just explode though do they?
hopefully it was not a cpfer with some exotic batteries.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh gawd....

Next we know, flashlights are declared weapons of mass destruction. Then the terrorists will have truly won.

Put it this way, it's possible to hide bombs in anything. I sincerely hope their reaction is NOT a knee-jerk blanket ban. Blanket bans don't solve ANYTHING except make innocent users miserable.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
This sounds odd - corroded batts blowing up? Never heard of it happening before.

As this is a developing story I'll reserve final judgment but I'm thinking someone with ill motives may be to blame.

7 people being hurt is sad. I wish them a speedy recovery.

RH

Enlightened
Now they are recanting this story...we will see.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what channel are you guys watching?!

i caught about 30seconds of it on msnbc, and can't find coverage on any other channel now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
"A flashlight with corroded batteries exploded injuring 7 people at the international terminal, the LA police bomb squad is on the case" -- CNN

I somehow don't necessarily believe that alkalines can detonate that way. There's been talk on CPF about batteries venting hydrogen but I don't think there's anywhere near enough to cause the amount of injuries they're talking about. Besides, those were two isolated cases. You'd need a big flashlight to create enough hydrogen, and wasn't everything larger than a 2D Mag banned anyway?

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
I've let D cells corrode in a m@g lite until the aluminum interior was being eaten. Not even a build-up of pressure

Found it here too (unless it gets pulled) Updated Reuters story

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights are vented, and for a reason. I have a feeling it might have been a lithium light that wasn't vented...but that's just a guess.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The latest from MS-NBC is that the flashlight "combusted," not an explosion, and it made some popping sounds. Three adults transported to the hospital with complaints of ringing in their ears.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
certainly enough to warrant a full-scale evacuation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

*Retired*
Just ban Lithium batteries in all consumer goods.

I've been expecting someones laptop battery to explode in flight for some time now. Just a matter of time, imho.

More info:

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/425368|top|09-04-2004::13:28|reuters.html

Exerpt:

"Officials evacuated five terminals after the apparent breach on Labor Day weekend, one of the busiest travel weekends of the year, said spokesman Harold Johnson. Officials said reports of a "loud sound" could have come from an exploding flashlight.

Few details were immediately available about the incident, but Los Angeles radio station KFWB reported that a flashlight battery had exploded, injuring three people. City fire officials were treating the incident as a chemical hazard.

"No traffic is departing the airport at this time and arrivals are being held on the ground and passengers are not being deplaned," said Paul Turk, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman in Washington"

Anyone wanna venture which brand of flashlight, and what are the odds it wasn't a Lithium battery?

Additional stories:
New press release

Exerpt:

"The scare at the international terminal came when a flashlight battery in checked luggage exploded as the bag was being hand-searched by a Transportation Security Administration worker, said TSA spokeswoman Amy Von Walter. She said the blast appeared to have been caused by old batteries, not a bomb. "

Humm, we don't have a bunch of CPFers arriving for the Cambria meet yet, do we....?