Flashlight for Search & Rescue

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
Requirements
1. Under $150
2. Want a flashlight, no headlamps etc...
3. Size isn't too important don't want something 2 or 3 feet long or 10 lbs
4. Prefer LED
5. Would rather buy whole light, but would buy one ad mod it if its easy and cheap, like me!
6. Prefer CR123A cells
7. I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
8. 150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)
9. 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
10. Needs to be very durable!
11. Switch placement isn't important
12. Would like variable modes
13. Material its made out of doesn't matter just gotta be strong!

Im thinking maybe the Fenix tk30, but im not sure! I currently use a streamlight sl20xp led and its not getting the job done! Would buy a modded light from you guys if it suits my needs! Would also consider a trade for an sl20xp plus cash for a light!

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
The TK30 is probably a pretty good match for your requirements. You can use either 2xCR123's or 2x18650 cells with the different tube options. If you have a car charger and a few sets of batteries you can stay out in the field indefinitely if you are near your vehicle while you can keep some CR123's handy for times you can't get to your charger. You only get full power when using the 18650's so the CR123's are more for a backup or for when you need a more compact light. When doing S&R I'm not sure who foots the bill for your CR123's.

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
I foot the bill for everything! Is there somewhere i can pick up the 18650s and a charger for a decent price?

yowzer

Enlightened
I've been happy using an Eagletac P20A2 (AA, not CR123, but ET makes those too).

Look for something offered in a neutral white or warm white tint, for better results in a mostly brown/green colored natural environment like forest.

DM51

Flashaholic
Your points #7 and #8 rather contradict themselves. For proper SAR you'll need throw rather than flood, so your eyes are drawn to a smallish area you can concentrate on.

Bear in mind that a very floody light that can "illuminate an entire field" does not just cast a wide beam left to right - the spread is not just horizontal. It also wastes a lot of lumens into the sky; more importantly, it wastes even more lighting up the forground near you. The foreground can seem so bright that you might not be able to see things at distance so well.

A thrower will illuminate a small arc of your vision for you, without any annoyingly bright foreground to distract you.

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
I was just going by the checklist thing that as made a sticky in this section! But yes i want a heck of a thrower!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the runtime on those, i don't see any specs on they're site.

They're using SST-50 WJ bin which has the hightest output in the range and I'd imagine they're also running close to max current input, if not at max (5A). So running on 3 ni-mh C's will give you a little shy of an hour I'd guess.

If you ask really nicely they might build you one in a 3D mag so you can run it on ni-mh D's that would give you a couple of hours. Batteryjunction sell some real good ones called Accupower. They're $20 a pair but are low self discharge while still having a lot of capacity.

$300 would get you a Varapower 1000, two sets of batteries and a charger. More than your budget (double in fact), but at least you know you'll have all the power you need.