Flashlight for wife's purse... hehe

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight for wife\'s purse... hehe

I totally agree about the E1E / winelight. It's a very classy little light! If I could figure out how to get a pink one, I'd get one for MY wife! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Freshman: For what purpose do you see her using a light that she keeps in her purse that's a lot brighter than ~15 lumens? The QIII or the Peak LED are good choices too - I'd think small and cute lights would be a lot more likely to stay in her purse than larger and more powerful lights.

Amonra

Enlightened

is the neoca cr2 brighter than the firefly? it is my understanding that it is approx the same price but much smaller and apart from the firefly it is the only CR2 light that will be available first.
Does anyone have a neoca CR2 yet and maybe some beam shots compared to other flashlights ?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

My girlfriend currently has my Premium L4, and her Hello Kitty Photon type light (shes in her late 20s). In order to get my L4 back, I just ordered 2 QIIIs, and will be giving her the less bright one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

A MAXABEAM!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, my real suggestion is to promote the QIII.

dim

Enlightened

I don't know that I would get too hung up on lumens. It's about having the right light for the job. Although, from my limited experience, it's better to have a few too many lumens than too few. I like to boast about the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. With its longish 2aa form, it's a little bigger than most of the lights mentioned here so far, but if its in her purse, she may not be disturbed by the size like we are when we try to EDC in our pockets. At its rated 30 lumens, it's enough to "get the job done" in most situations, looking in a closet, walking to the car at night, clearly lighting the way down a dark hall etc... It may be a bit sharp on the eyes for close work like reading, purse diving etc.. but its not too bad for that either. It's hard to find that one light to do it all, but For general use, for $30 and less, the Junior comes close. After one use of the flashlight when she really needs it, she will then "get it". A smaller alternative with similar output is the Sharper Image Luxeon. As the SL Jr. Lux is made for Streamlight, I thing the SI Lux is made by the same manufacturer and is a CR123 version of the SL Jr. Lux. Although I have not used one myself, reviews here and around the web indicate similar output. It too is about $30.

dim

scuba

Enlightened

Mine is very happy with the Streamlight Twintasks 1L. She even finds it cute! Great runtime with leds and xenon possibility.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would concur with the Sharper Image Lux or a Q1. I think the QIII is a bit much for most people. In the dark, my Q1 is more than sufficient for most needs and has a more practical runtime to boot. That said, I also would give a nod to an X1- it has a very sleek, quality feel that many non-flashaholics immediately appreciate, long runtime on a AA, and is perfect for purse hunting in that the lack of spill wont get you noticed.

electrothump

Enlightened

I think dollar for dollar, that little AAA Dorcey rules. Heck it only sells for six bucks at wally world. Has a good run time, and is inexpensive to operate. My girlfriend likes her little Streamlite Keymate. The SK is a cute little light, but uses button cells. Personally, I'm a Uk mini AAA xenon person. Have carried one for several years now. Haven't tried the led version of that light. It really does depend on how well the wife likes lights.

Dave

beakman

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Freshman said:
I am trying to get her a smaller light, smaller than a Tec 40. She has two of those. At the same time, I don't want to give her lights which are less bright than what she is currently using.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she likes the general style of the PT Tec40 (plastic body, twist-bezel switch), then how about it's smaller brother, the Princeton Tec Rage? Takes 4 AAAs, and only 4.75 inches long, it's quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Tec40. And www.flashlightreviews.com rates the overall output of the Rage at 2700, versus 2850 for the Tec40, so it's really about the same brightness. The Rage is $10.95 at www.brightguy.com , or you can get them now at www.campmor.com for $6.97 (and spare xenon lamps for only $2.79), which is a great price for what is probably about the most powerful AAA flashlight available.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the choice! I'm still trying to get my wife to carry a flashlight of some sort in her purse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

the beakman

P.S. For more utility, buy the PT Attitude 3LED light instead, and a spare PT Rage Xenon Lamp. The Rage lamp will fit in the Attitude body (they use the same 4AAA body and bezel). That way your wife can use the low-level, long running Attitude LED head for most tasks, and swap in the Rage xenon lamp when she needs a brighter light! The Attitude is also on sale for $12.97 at www.campmor.com .

83Venture

Enlightened

I gave my wife a E1E / winelight for her purse, ARC AAA for the pen holder in her daytimer, and a photon 2 on her neck badge. She does not really notice they are there but she is pretty well covered if she ever needs some light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

The llittle Nuwai 0.5w 1xAAA light would make a nice purse light.