Flashlight sub-Reddit?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Did something happen to this sub over the last couple days? Part of my morning routine is viewing new posts on CPF, then perusing this sub. I was wondering if it's just me or across the board.

3_gun

Enlightened
Knew about this Reddit protest going on but didn't not realize the size & scope of the issue. As I see it, if this stands, this could/should be the end for Reddit

r/Knife_Swap has always been a great place to buy and sell knives relatively quickly. Never enjoyed the crude middle school humor and comments though. r/flashlight BST was always behind in using a single monthly master post and then comments to list. They talked about, but never moved to new posts for each sales page, like every other BST sub. I do hope it comes back because like CPF, there are users who are gems and treasure troves of experience and information.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was kinda funny seeing memes about zeroair but there wasn't anything as interesting as budgetlights or cpf. The one time there was a decent board on reddit some feminazis/karens got it removed and I stopped lurking there. All my irl friends don't seem to like these developments as the love reddit.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Knew about this Reddit protest going on but didn't not realize the size & scope of the issue. As I see it, if this stands, this could/should be the end for Redd

Reddit is garbage. Getting banned was the best thing that's happened to me
Again, irrelevant to the question, but I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a website hosting many different pages on every possible topic with the comments in the reverse order of a forum, in addition more popular comments may be somewhere other than in order they were posted.

3_gun

Enlightened
Happily the hanklight board is still open & that's where you can find info on the NEW 16 LED duel channel M44

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've found solutions to things at redit over the past few years at times when no other forums had them. So yeah even tho it has its issues with keyboard warriors it's also a great source of information as well.
Hopefully they'll get things resolved and it doesn't go the way of photobucket.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found solutions to things at redit over the past few years at times when no other forums had them. So yeah even tho it has its issues with keyboard warriors it's also a great source of information as well.
Hopefully they'll get things resolved and it doesn't go the way of photobucket.

I've found it a chore, but as with many things, have also found some good in it here and there; but definitely NOT in the flashlight section. That is located somewhere between juvenile and adolescent (a place I once spent some time but don't care to return to), and is dead to me.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
BLF seems to have seen an influx of users of users as Reddit goes through yet another user revolt - perhaps CPF will as well.

I've found solutions to things at redit over the past few years at times when no other forums had them.
Same. I've found many an actual answer - once one blew past the oftentimes-thick layer of SEO scum from hucksters, charlatans, related-but-irrelevant, mindless copypasta of related-but-wrong solutions that had become self-perpetrating memes - often as not on Reddit from a thread 5-10 years ago.

So yeah even tho it has its issues with keyboard warriors it's also a great source of information as well.
I think that's something almost every platform of size that takes submissions from the great unwashed has to contend with.

I've found it a chore, but as with many things, have also found some good in it here and there; but definitely NOT in the flashlight section. That is located somewhere between juvenile and adolescent (a place I once spent some time but don't care to return to), and is dead to me.
I never had a Reddit account. The upvote shenanigans reminded me of slashdot which I always found annoying to read. So I'd encounter it from the outside - or via websites that interacted with it via API - but otherwise wasn't a real user of it. The latest algorithmic feeds have made it insufferable whenever I've had to go past the initial pageload from a search engine or external link.

Corey Doctorow had some words on the unfortunate - almost inevitable - journey that large platforms seem to follow as they grow, profit, then desperately seek to maintain revenues.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah it took some work to find the answers @idleprocess but I'm not above putting in some hours scouring the world wide web at times. I did see a lot of weeds at reddit. But those "holy crap finally an answer" moments made it seem worth it to me.

Hopefully they'll all play nice together over there soon. But it takes lots of food (ie revenue) to feed the big dog.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a Reddit guy myself, the layout/organization is a huge headache, but when I was looking into Hanklights, Google brought me there when I couldn't find answers on here or BLF. Hope they can work things out over there.