Flashlights for Children

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought would be to get dirt cheap luxeons from Deal Xtreme. After thinking about it a bit, maybe something with long runtime to reduce battery costs if left on. Maybe carrot's right about an Xnova or similar using AAs.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
As usual, the CPF crew give great advice.
Those new Cree lights look pretty sweet...I haven't tried any, though.

If you have a couple of Minimags laying around, I suggest the Nite-Ize 1W drop-in with their IQ switch. It is about $20 total, and comes with a reflector.

It is pretty darn bright (25 or 30 lumens?), very nice beam for walking, has multiple light levels (including slow and fast flash), and the L/M/H levels are on a 15 minute timer (auto turn-off). There is also a cool flashing red "find me" LED in the tailcap.
You can use rechargeable AA's, alkies, lithiums...whatever.
I think kids would think it is cool, overall.

For my niece I have used blue lok-tite for the head, to prevent mis-adjustment of the beam.

For less money, you could use the drop-in alone, which I believe was $12.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not long after the Mini-Mag LEDs came out I bought two of the 2AAs version for my kids who were 6 and 11 at the time.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
jumpstat:"I would rather spend more money for something reliable that may or may not help your children in a situation. I'd rather have them lose a light than a limb."

If we were talking about the SAS or U.S. Navy SEALs, I'd agree. But children? They should be able to get along fine with a regular-duty light as opposed to something elite. We (humans) got along fine with rather modest performing flashlights for nearly a century. No lives (nor limbs) need be lost.

Same thing, for a first car, would you buy a teenager a Porsche or BMW? Some would. I wouldn't. The used Toyota, etc ... will be just fine ... maybe even better since a powerful car can be a dangerous thing in the hands of an inexperienced operator.

I'm all for exotic/elite lights for people who need and appreciate them ... but children? That's just spoiling them ... and getting them to take the best things in life for granted. Let them mature some, maybe even save up some of their own money for a special light if that's what they really want.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat:"I would rather spend more money for something reliable that may or may not help your children in a situation. I'd rather have them lose a light than a limb."

If we were talking about the SAS or U.S. Navy SEALs, I'd agree. But children?

LOL!

Good point Bror Jace, those are my thoughts exactly.

I got into lots of adventures and mischief outdoors starting from a young age. I always felt fortunate to have *any* working flashlight with me when I needed it.

For most things kids do, including Boy Scout camping trips and summer camps, a MiniMag LED 2AA or 3AA would be more than sufficient. As a kid, I'd have been thrilled to have had such a small, powerful, dependable light for my outdoor adventures.

A better light for kids might be the Streamlight 2AA TaskLight, which is available for 15 to 18 bucks. Bright enough on high (20 lumens) to replace the venerable 2D incan and with a much better runtime (9+ hours on alkalines.) A low level of about 5 lumens is plenty for most outdoor tasks and will last for 50+ hours on alkalines.

I prefer to take along my Streamlight 2AA over my MiniMag 2AA when backpacking.

firefly99

Enlightened

If we were talking about the SAS or U.S. Navy SEALs, I'd agree. But children?

I cannot imagine any situations where kids would be expose to danger and a flashlight would make a difference.

In response to OP's question, as a flashaholic myself I would not want my kids to take my self queens and give it some characters marks. But as a dad, I had observe that a smart kid will rather take his dad's stuff, eg. flashlight(s).

It may be better to rephrase the question, which flashlight does a kid want ?

Last edited:

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I would give a child a streamlight 4AA luxeon, probably yellow to make it easier to find. Also I would have them use eneloops in them to avoid spending a fortune on batteries. The propoly series is able to easily take drops or rough treatment. While it may not be the brightest light anymore, it is still a very good durable light.