Flashlights/Step-Up for violet laserdiodes?

krutzbeuazen

Newly Enlightened
RDZombie,

actually i had a look at those converters, and read through most of the comments. they seem to be quite bad from efficiency, but that wouldnt really matter for violet lasers, and under 50mA needed..
a simple test for them would to connect two LEDs (blue, white, violet, all have 3.3v drop) in series. if they still light up, the circuit outputs high enough voltage. for regular "small" LEDs, 4 pieces should be used, two in series, and those two strings parallel. if they still light up as bright as normal, it should equal 6.6v with 40mA. or better, connect those 4 LEDs, and measure the current with a multimeter between the circuit and the LEDs.

why i write this noobie-testing method?
i dont trust those circuits and my multimeter any more. i put a 100uF capacitor across the output of one circuit, and still measured around 50v. and then that extreme "i lose all current at slightly higher voltage" behavior..

anyway, i am very interested in what you may find out about those circuits!

manuel

Corona

Enlightened
snap shots of the different boards and post em up
That would be great; try to maintain the same scale or at least the same angle (straight on, ideally) when photographing them so it is easy to reverse-engineer the circuit - I layer them in an image editing program, reverse the back side image, and from there it's easy to see where stuff is interconnected.

Try to avoid using a flash, or at least diffuse it through a piece of tissue paper, to avoid hard reflections...

This assumes they show ANY promise to begin with. But I'm always interested in seeing what's out there and how it can be improved (if necessary).

laserblue

Newly Enlightened
interesting post. On the maxim website they have lots of charge-pump chips that could be used as step-ups as well

Kenom

Enlightened
OK so in this thread you indicated that a UV led requires about the same juice as a bluray LD. would buying a keychain UV led light provide you with the right circuit and whatnot to drive a bluray LD? I'm looking at this in particular.
http://www.photonlight.com/UV-Ultra...ED-Lights-p/uv-ultraviolet-led-blacklight.htm

Now I won't mount the laser diode onto the light like this guy did.
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1193418681
but I'm considering pulling the driver from it and using it in my own host. it's off button cells so it shouldn't exceed any voltage or current requirements of the driver (i hope)
I found this little flashlight that I know has enough room for the module but I've gotta find some means of driving the LD at the right current and voltage. I was just gonna run it straight off some smaller button cells like 4 or 5 1.5v cells

here is the light.

now the light currently runs off 3 cells but there is room for one more.

krutzbeuazen

Newly Enlightened
ken:
i didnt take any measurements by myself actually. but for what i know, white, blue and uv leds need 3.3v at 20mA, and the bluray diodes take anything between 4.5v and 5v and 20mA to 30mA for lasing-treshold. with high variage, so every diode *must* be measured individually. what i want to say: blu-ray diodes need a higher voltage, and they dont run in 1w LED flashlights (being driven by a single AA cell, from DX).

if by "driven by 3 cells" you mean lithium coincells, it should work! i tried alkaline buttoncells, and even 6 in a row worked only for a few minutes, before the voltagesag reduced the current..

if you dont have to invest too much, give it a try! :)

manuel

RDZombie

Newly Enlightened
That would be great; try to maintain the same scale or at least the same angle (straight on, ideally) when photographing them so it is easy to reverse-engineer the circuit - I layer them in an image editing program, reverse the back side image, and from there it's easy to see where stuff is interconnected.

Try to avoid using a flash, or at least diffuse it through a piece of tissue paper, to avoid hard reflections...

This assumes they show ANY promise to begin with. But I'm always interested in seeing what's out there and how it can be improved (if necessary).

Still workin on those pics guys, my digi cam is not the best and doesnt like the close up shots (refuses to focus) I bought it to take pics of motorcycles im selling. Going to try to barrow a nice cam form work...

RDZombie

Newly Enlightened
OK guys, i cant seem to find the other 3 boards i bought from DX but these are the 2 i could find. first one is DX P/N 4735, second is P/N 4451

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

Image quality isn't the best as I couldn't get a good cam, also to get it in focus I had to take the pic through a magnifying glass lamp thing LOL

dr_lava

Enlightened
I had an older elly with the external FET laying around and converted it to a violaser. Had to add a 10uF smt capacitor on the battery side of the PCB to boost the output. The laser drew about 34mA with a drop of 4.6V for 10mW output, so a 12 ohm resistor was put in series with the diode, with another smt cap after that to smooth out the switching spikes somewhat. The battery draw is about 180mA.

so, just FYI, if you have an old elly around it might be worth the effort.

dr_lava

Enlightened

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Quite a long time ago, I solved the Violet LD driving problem by making a bucking type controlled and adjustable power supply. I used a pair of half AA size li-ion cells in series to avoid the need for any switching power supplys or spike related issues.

The hardest part was making it all be the size of a dime, and I didn't want the complete package size to be larger than my finger.

Here is the driver.

DSCF1585.sized.jpg

Here is the whole thing.

DSCF1787.sized.jpg

Best Wishes,
-Luke