Flip flops

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread made me hop online and buy a backup pair of the best flip flops I've ever owned. Teva Mush. I've had this pair for years and they're still going strong even after being chewed on by the dog back in the day.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    723.6 KB · Views: 87

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're due.
Looks like it's Mush II for you
Yea they're Mush II and I'm due. Don't wanna be caugh high and dry if I have a blowout! 😜 I always thought the Rainbows were cool and liked the history of them, but found the footbed to get super slippery when wet,(the leather ones that is) Ruined them for me. These Tevas are the best all around I've come across. They were a random purchase from an REI a while back. I wear them CONSTANTLY. I'll check out the Scotts and thanks for the post Byk!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I understand the slippery leather, especially when wet thing. It's largely why I went the molded rubber footbed route. Also at times my leather top flip flops would break in crooked too so with each step the foot would slide toward the inside of the shoe, eventually broken in with my heel hanging off the side.

Rainbow makes a similar shoe to the Mushy called Cloud.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea they're Mush II and I'm due. Don't wanna be caugh high and dry if I have a blowout! 😜 I always thought the Rainbows were cool and liked the history of them, but found the footbed to get super slippery when wet,(the leather ones that is) Ruined them for me. These Tevas are the best all around I've come across. They were a random purchase from an REI a while back. I wear them CONSTANTLY. I'll check out the Scotts and thanks for the post Byk!
Leather Rainbows are for going out on the town. I never take leather to the beach or out in rain. Rubber beds with 1" nylon tubular straps is best all around flip flops. Although they can catch odors, I leave 'em outside or near rear doors.
Restaurants or weddings, always kept a fresh pair suede for those events.
Also owned Teva river shoes with toe box, that style keeps toe nails intact 🤙

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Here's a picture I found online of my favorite sandal ever, the Chaco Z2. You can run, walk through fast running streams, jump and turn on a dime like wearing tennis shoes with them. Tried some without the toe loop and instantly got rid of them. It's the toe loop that really makes them perform much more like shoes, but still give that breathability.
20170812_153252.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Leather Rainbows are for going out on the town. I never take leather to the beach or out in rain. Rubber beds with 1" nylon tubular straps is best all around flip flops. Although they can catch odors, I leave 'em outside or near rear doors.
Restaurants or weddings, always kept a fresh pair suede for those events.
Also owned Teva river shoes with toe box, that style keeps toe nails intact 🤙

^^ True California man here folks ^^

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok, so I spent a whole day (well nearly all day) wearing the Rainbow East Cape shoes. A walk around a Sprawl Mart and a grocery store in the morning led to no issues at all. Then all around the house with no issues.

Later in the day I went to trim a hedge I would have normally trimmed a lot sooner but some birds had taken up residence and raised a family. So it grew tall enough to need a step stool to reach the top. I went in the house and swapped to the Scott Outdoorsman for the task of climbing up and down the stool. The Rainbow are larger than my foot by an amount that caused me to think the tip might snag a step on the way up. I normally prefer to have 3 points of contact when climbing. The 3rd point would have been a big ole pr1ckley holly bush. So I wanted to be certain my shoe did not snag. The Scott fit a lot closer up front.

When the work was done I switched back to the Rainbow shoes because they are a bit more spongey. As in just more comfy for lounging around while cooking dinner and relaxing out on the deck afterward. The Scott offer more support when walking around on hard surfaces though.

KG mentioned in post #25 about going out to dinner flip flops. I have a pair of hemp covered Rainbow single's (meaning one layer of foam) for that. The footbed is like walking on fine thread cotton burlap.
7F706745-F14F-42EB-83F4-1C17305D32E6.jpeg

Goes great with a favorite steak eatin' aloha shirt
A952D53E-C5CD-4E2C-83C8-009619D5D083.jpeg

Now if I were forced to choose I'd probably pick the Scott Outdoorsman over the Rainbow East Cape simply because they fit better and offer more support on hard surfaces. But thankfully I don't have to make that choice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
D2358E06-F281-4CEA-9821-C2996BE91418.jpeg

Found these retro style shower shoes today while cleaning up.
Simple shoes colaborated with Tidal New York a few years back (pre-covid) to make some earth friendly flip flops like the 1970's $1.99 gift shop type.

Tidal was a small venture that made earth friendly shoes made of air infused urethane and recycled plastic straps. Simple introduced recycled algae into their insoles a few years back. The Simple by Tidal was a blend of that algae and air infused urethane. They sold about as well as ice in the Yukon in January but it was a really cool idea. They were made by veterans struggling to blend back into society.

For being a basic flat shoe with a minor arch support having the strap shoved through the soles they're pretty comfortable and durable. I did wrap a cloth band aid around the toe stud(s) to soften the feel of the plastic between the toes. The ones in the photo above have about 10 miles of wear on hard surfaces, plus cutting grass, bicycle rides and lounging around with no visible wear on the tread.

Unfortunately Tidal has closed the doors.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
More "earth friendly" flip flops, made in Vietnam.
View attachment 44942
Softened leather footbed, cotton straps, algae foam and hemp jute mesh soles.
I wore these to a big box store and between the slippery jute mesh soles on hard tile floors and the leather foot bed it was like walking forward on an escalator going sideways.

After wearing them around the house in the evenings they are slowly becoming more grippy to my feet. The jute mesh is also becoming less slippery. I did some yard work early today before it got hot and they stayed planted to my feet well.

The typical Sanuk mid-sole are always super comfy. These are no exception. I've had Sanuk's over the years and they've been super comfy but the soles were made of the same soft material as the mid-sole so they'd last a summer and be worn down.

The hemp top Rainbow shoes in post 32 have broken in nicely. The Rainbow mid-sole is tough but forgiving. So they mold to your foot. The hemp cloth is grippy like walking on a dense carpet. The single layer mid-sole does not seem to be very supportive but after walking around in them I come to realize they are indeed very supportive. I may try some double layer hemp top in black and gray.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks to my buddy Wally Warbler in Tallahassee I took the plunge and tried some US made Rainbow flip flops called Americana. I opted for the limited edition gray version.
IMG_0281.jpeg

Leather top single layer

These are nothing like those old 301's that had a slippery leather top, straps that murdered the top of your foot like they were stapled, soles about as grippy on tile floors as horse shoes and the toe post just added to the torture. Nope, these have a nice suede-like nubuck leather top, a very nice, supportive mid-sole, a looser leather strap with silky smooth toe post and lightweight but grippy soles. The shoe's are surprisingly light weight. The leather is not slippery and feels well broken in. Speaking of broken in, the overall shoe will mold to your feet over time, becoming not unlike a custom made shoe.

They have a tan, and a black version with red/white/blue mid soles and are only available at Rainbow sandals web site. They are made in the original Rainbow factory by the founder of Rainbow sandals. A little pricey at around $73 but worth the coin in my view.

IMG_0284.jpeg

The founder