Found a Tissot in my boxes

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I was going through some boxes and i came across a watch my Dad gave me back in 1974. It's a Tissot automatic pr 516. I need a new band for it but it still works. Pretty cool. Not being a total watch person is it a decent quality watch? I'm going to do a search on it but if you guys can help that would be great. Thanks

Acme

Newly Enlightened
mcl2u said:
I was going through some boxes and i came across a watch my Dad gave me back in 1974. It's a Tissot automatic pr 516. I need a new band for it but it still works. Pretty cool. Not being a total watch person is it a decent quality watch? I'm going to do a search on it but if you guys can help that would be great. Thanks

That model, the PR516, came in a many versions. When I was in Europe in 1968, I bought a seastar PR516 in gold color. It is a good quality watch, on a par with Hamiltons, but not most Omegas or Rolexes. I think its original price was about half to one third of the basic Omega. The gold color on mine eventually wore through to the base metal, but I did wear it a lot. I think the crystal was plastic, not sapphire.

The PR516 today has some collector value, but probably not over $250 or so. Tissot has just come out with a new model to commemorate that model which was popular in the 1960's to early 1970's.

Automatic watches require dissassembly, cleaning and lubrication every two or three years. This is because the oil gums up after a while, and the watch may run fast as a result. You should take the watch to a shop that does warranty work for Omega, as the movements are similar.

Acme