• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

From zero to 100: My first McGizmos!

persco

Enlightened
A few weeks ago I had no McGizmos. Now I have three on the way to me. OMG.

I purchased a Sundrop XRU XML a few weeks ago, but then I kept doing more reading here. That has led to me selling off a Stowa to fund the purchase of a couple more: A high CRI Mule and a Sapphire. I got a note today that the lights have shipped!

I will finally have them all in hand this Friday (family are visiting from the US, so they will bring them for me). I can't wait... Pics when they arrive.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a Sundrop XRU XML a few weeks ago...

Is that a typo or has someone modded that SunDrop to XM-L?

The SunDrop uses a Nichia083 which has a tint of about 5700K and which should imitate sunlight. Replacing it with an XM-L would make the whole concept of the light obsolete IMHO.

I have a SunDrop XRU and it's a truly special light, it was my first McGizomo, followed by some others afterwards...

persco

Enlightened

The SunDrop uses a Nichia083 which has a tint of about 5700K and which should imitate sunlight. Replacing it with an XM-L would make the whole concept of the light obsolete IMHO.

I have a SunDrop XRU and it's a truly special light, it was my first McGizomo, followed by some others afterwards...

Nope. They're available with an XM-L, and while the original purpose of the light was to utilize the 083, the light is not obsolete with an XM-L. It's a very bright, very floody light with a tighter beam profile than a mule. Just what I was looking for. Don has a great description of the light's utility with an XM-L emitter in one of the Sundrop threads.

nbp

Flashaholic

The original SunDrops are not compatible with the XM-L due to the size of the emitter and its subsequent interference with the lens, but the XRU head is longer and will accept these larger dies.

It does become less "Sun"Droppy with a cool emitter I suppose, but for people who want the beam pattern the SD offers with the output the XM-L offers, it's probably a great light!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked the wrong SunDrop thread I guess and stand corrected!

Anyway, if a light comes from directly from Don, it has a purpose for sure, I thought someone simply swapped the emitter and there would have been a chance you bought a light which would be quite different from what you imagined it could be...

persco

Enlightened
They're here! Sorry for the crappy pic.

Gizmos.jpg

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a billfold you've got them sitting on? Geez that Sapphire looks tiny. I can't even think about McGizmo lights right now, something to look forward to, it's inevitable. I sure do enjoy y'all's pics though in the mean time.