• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: McLuxIII-T (titanium) -- Polished

dbedit

Newly Enlightened
Morelite literally seconds...I am still sweating and thinking about this one getting away

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats, dbedit! You traded up nicely, I see. I love my III-T, and mine is mirror polished like this one. Enjoy.:grin2:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
EricMack said:
Congrats, dbedit! You traded up nicely, I see. I love my III-T, and mine is mirror polished like this one. Enjoy.:grin2:[/QUOTE
ErickMac,

I thought you said the next one would be mine?:awman:

Ken

revv11

Newly Enlightened
EricMack said:
Congrats, dbedit! You traded up nicely, I see. I love my III-T, and mine is mirror polished like this one. Enjoy.:grin2:

EricMack, would you mind sharing with the group exactly how you get such a mirror finish on your Ti light? Thanks.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow 31 minutes at $750 to boot. Nice profit.

Several things.
The McLuxIII T is not a PD.
It looks like some polishing wheel work. Ti is a hard metal and requires plenty of pressure to get that shine. Using a wheel is by far the easiest way to do this work. It is a double edged sword a little too mush pressure in one spot and you risk an uneven surface. Tough to fix. Easy mistake to make with aluminum and hard to correct.
I thought about polishing my t and decided against it. The light has a nice finish out of the box. When I put the polished clip on the light that did it for me.
I did all my Ti Clips and it was hard work, The good part is that you really only need to polish one surface. Polishing the whole light Sounds like a lot of work!!
Nice to know if I wanted to double my investment on this light right now that I could. Wait about 10 years and I think we will find the value on these lights will climb dramatically. there are less than 50 of them. One thing is for sure this is the kind of thing that will absolutely last forever. These will certainly out last all of us.
Yaesumofo

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Yeah, I was wrong. Its not a PD. I dont evan own a McGizmo light. :mecry: I am going to buy a PD when McGizmo gets back, but I joined CPF right before he went on vacation so I was SOL.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
revv11 said:
EricMack, would you mind sharing with the group exactly how you get such a mirror finish on your Ti light? Thanks.

I can not speak for Eric, but I do my polishing on a Baldor buffing machine, using 6" buffs. There are various buffing wheels and compounds that I use, depending on the job.

To do a super duper job, which to me means completely eliminating any machining marks, would have entailed hours of work for this Titanium light. I didn't do that, I just buffed with some White Diamond on a firm wheel, then switched to Yellow Dialux, also on a firm wheel. Clean well and you are done.

Investment in machine, buffs, and compounds: About $500. Of course, much like any flashaholic, I have more than one buffing machine. :D

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really kicking myself for not buying any TIs... I remember when I clicked on the thread about them and it had like 16 veiws and 2 replies, and I smiled and thought 'I dont need one' but hell with the demand I'd sure like a few :D

tdurand

Enlightened
Photon and PSM I appreciate the heads-up, too bad for me it came at times during the day when my account can't be checked. I would've jumped on it too!

Nice light indeed.
Me want

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are not exactly clean machines to keep around. Every polishing shop I have ever seen is a dirty dusty BLACK dust kind of place. Do you have a special room or space to do this work in? I hope so. I am quite sure that all that stuff in the air can't be healthy.

I can't imagine the hours of work needed to get the machine markes out of these Ti lights. Talk about a whole lot of work. The McLuxIII T is one cool light, poloshed or unpolished.

Yaesumofo

PhotonFanatic said:
I can not speak for Eric, but I do my polishing on a Baldor buffing machine, using 6" buffs. There are various buffing wheels and compounds that I use, depending on the job.

To do a super duper job, which to me means completely eliminating any machining marks, would have entailed hours of work for this Titanium light. I didn't do that, I just buffed with some White Diamond on a firm wheel, then switched to Yellow Dialux, also on a firm wheel. Clean well and you are done.

Investment in machine, buffs, and compounds: About $500. Of course, much like any flashaholic, I have more than one buffing machine. :D