• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: XML-2 Mag Shorty - 1000 Lumens!

edeekeos

Enlightened
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to stop in here, and leave a little feedback for Jay. I just received my custom XML2 Mag Shorty this afternoon, and I'm stunned. It is beyond words how great this thing is. Awhile back, I contacted Jay about a custom build I wanted done, and he was more than willing to work with me. I wanted something a little different than a solid color. I found a 3D digital camo mag, at my local supermarket, and new it was the one. He said send it over, and he'd cut it down, get it all 'souped up'!! He wasn't joking. He put a BEAUTIFUL XML2 T6 3A on copper in it, and fed it roughly ~4amps of juice:eek:. Needless to say, this guy's a shiner now.

Despite not being able to put it down all day today, I managed to snap a few pics for you all. (I will post the first pic, click this link for the full album!) The first few pics are of the Mag shorty, then a couple beam shots. The first beam shot is a factory 2D XPG Maglite. I don't need to say it, but the second beam shot, is this MONSTER! That woods line is over 100M away!! WHOA! Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the work Jay has done, and would recommend him to anyone. :D

Cheers :buddies:
RkCwXoY.jpg

flyback

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jayrob!

Wanted to say that I really like the 2 cell kit you did for me and am now interested in a Shorty. I have a couple of questions and apologize if they've been asked before.

First is about the 32650 cells that I can get from you. I know that a monitor can not be put into a Shorty due to it's small size but is there a way to keep from over discharging the cell? Does it cut off at some voltage like a protected cell or do I just have to be very careful?

Second is what is the difference on the reflector options.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this! You can email me at flyback (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks again!

-Doug

jayrob

Enlightened
Hi Jayrob!

Wanted to say that I really like the 2 cell kit you did for me and am now interested in a Shorty. I have a couple of questions and apologize if they've been asked before.

First is about the 32650 cells that I can get from you. I know that a monitor can not be put into a Shorty due to it's small size but is there a way to keep from over discharging the cell? Does it cut off at some voltage like a protected cell or do I just have to be very careful?

Second is what is the difference on the reflector options.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this! You can email me at flyback (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks again!

-Doug

Glad you like it!

I have two reflector choices if you want to get aluminum instead of the stock reflector. The smooth aluminum is almost identical to the output of the stock reflector. And the MOP seems to take some of the throw, and give more light to the spill area.

Both nice, but the smooth has better throw.

With the Shorty, the driver has some protection built in... (it won't stay on high if the voltage drops too low)

But I also have some protected 32650 cells that easily put out the 3 Amps needed if you want...

Send me a PM when your ready!
beer.gif

hwdsndf

Newly Enlightened
I received my shorty today. Beautiful workmanship and excellent throw. Been shining it into my back yard and it throws a nice tight circle. Jay does excellent work, I highly recommend buying one of his Mag Shorties. It will light up your life.

howard

jayrob

Enlightened
I received my shorty today. Beautiful workmanship and excellent throw. Been shining it into my back yard and it throws a nice tight circle. Jay does excellent work, I highly recommend buying one of his Mag Shorties. It will light up your life.

howard

Glad you like it and thanks for the feedback! :)

Love it!!

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jay! Big fan of your work, I have purchased several of your kits/hosts/heatsinks (for lasers) and you had made me a custom 405nm laser years and years ago over at LPF (which you then sold as a kit shortly thereafter, ie the Micro Chrome -- I still have mine and it works perfectly BTW :)). I always admired your work, and am glad to see you here on CPF offering up your services for the flashaholics too!

With that said, these Mag builds are pretty sweet. I am not a huge fan of big lights, but the compact version you are offering here looks very neat (and dare I say, 'cute'). I am curious, any chance of you doing a Mag shorty build with a MT-G2?

I assume the battery options are the main concern due to the MT-G2 needing at least a dual cell configuration for voltage. But would it be possible for the Mag shorty host to hold two/three 18650's in some way?

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Hi Jay! Big fan of your work, I have purchased several of your kits/hosts/heatsinks (for lasers) and you had made me a custom 405nm laser years and years ago over at LPF (which you then sold as a kit shortly thereafter, ie the Micro Chrome -- I still have mine and it works perfectly BTW :)). I always admired your work, and am glad to see you here on CPF offering up your services for the flashaholics too!

With that said, these Mag builds are pretty sweet. I am not a huge fan of big lights, but the compact version you are offering here looks very neat (and dare I say, 'cute'). I am curious, any chance of you doing a Mag shorty build with a MT-G2?

I assume the battery options are the main concern due to the MT-G2 needing at least a dual cell configuration for voltage. But would it be possible for the Mag shorty host to hold two/three 18650's in some way?

Glad to hear back from you!

I don't have a way to make 2 X 18650's fit a Mag D.

There may be some here, who have a method though...

But my initial thought is that it just won't fit even with machining.

I know you can fit 2 X 14650, (or 3) But for MT-G2, that's really too much current draw and not really a good option. (IMO)

Honestly, the 2D size is the best set up for MT-G2 as shown here...

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jay, I suspected as much. Probably would fit and work with two 18350 IMR's, but the runtime would be like 15 minuets or something crazy like that. Shame the MT-G2 requires such a high Vf, as IMO this emitter is really quite amazing and sort of revolutionary. I received my Solarforce K3 head today and I was absolutely floored by the MT-G2 emitter. It is only drawing 1.78A on high, but it handily blows away every other light I own, including a Zebralight gen1 SC600w with a XM-L2 driven at roughly 3A on turbo and pushing around 730 lumens (brightest light I had prior to the K3).

What amazes me the most is the amperage vs lumens with the emitter. XM-L stands no chance in this regard. My K3 on medium is drawing 680mA from two cells and it is nearly as bright visually as the SC600 on turbo drawing ~3A. With a battery capacity of 3400mAh, I am getting at least 500-600 lumens for 5 hours! (doing a runtime test right now to see if that really is the case). And the K3's low mode, which draws 100mA, appears to be around 120 lumens or so (by comparing to other lights with tested OTF lumen outputs). My SC600 outputs about 60 lumens on medium @ 110mA.

And to top it all off, the tint of the MT-G2 is phenomenal! I am one of the pickiest tint snobs around, and I find the tint to be quite appealing. It actually surprised the heck out of me, as I was expecting a yellow tinted monster based on my previous experience with several neutral XM-L's. It still has a bit too much yellow on the outer corona of the hotspot to be considered a 'perfect' tint for me, but the hotspot tint with the K3 reflector is absolutely perfect, and overall it has more than satisfactory tint transition between hotspot and spill. So far it is the closest light I have to being pure unbiased white, closely followed by the SC62d with the 5000k high CRI Luxeon. And while the Nichia 219 high CRI still has the best quality tint overall, I am really leaning towards the MT-G2's tint, which makes the Nichia 219 look very pinkish when compared side-by-side.

I am surprised it has taken so long for the MT-G2 to catch on since it's release in 2012. But I have a feeling it's popularity is going to explode here pretty soon and there is going to be a lot more manufacturers putting them in lights. Likely going to be restricted to the larger light selections due to the multi-cell requirement, and since the emitter is so huge it needs a massive reflector to give any decent amount of throw. But I have high hopes for a small pocket-able single 18650 cell arrangement that puts out ~1500 lumens or so, I mean if Zebralight can make a single 1.2V AA battery work with an XM-L2 emitter, than somebody should be able to make a MT-G2 work with a single 4.2V li-ion.

Anyway enough of my rambling :eek:, glad to see you are still modding stuff, look forward to your next projects! (especially if they are MT-G2 based ;))

jayrob

Enlightened
Thanks Jay, I suspected as much. Probably would fit and work with two 18350 IMR's, but the runtime would be like 15 minuets or something crazy like that. Shame the MT-G2 requires such a high Vf, as IMO this emitter is really quite amazing and sort of revolutionary. I received my Solarforce K3 head today and I was absolutely floored by the MT-G2 emitter. It is only drawing 1.78A on high, but it handily blows away every other light I own, including a Zebralight gen1 SC600w with a XM-L2 driven at roughly 3A on turbo and pushing around 730 lumens (brightest light I had prior to the K3).

What amazes me the most is the amperage vs lumens with the emitter. XM-L stands no chance in this regard. My K3 on medium is drawing 680mA from two cells and it is nearly as bright visually as the SC600 on turbo drawing ~3A. With a battery capacity of 3400mAh, I am getting at least 500-600 lumens for 5 hours! (doing a runtime test right now to see if that really is the case). And the K3's low mode, which draws 100mA, appears to be around 120 lumens or so (by comparing to other lights with tested OTF lumen outputs). My SC600 outputs about 60 lumens on medium @ 110mA.

And to top it all off, the tint of the MT-G2 is phenomenal! I am one of the pickiest tint snobs around, and I find the tint to be quite appealing. It actually surprised the heck out of me, as I was expecting a yellow tinted monster based on my previous experience with several neutral XM-L's. It still has a bit too much yellow on the outer corona of the hotspot to be considered a 'perfect' tint for me, but the hotspot tint with the K3 reflector is absolutely perfect, and overall it has more than satisfactory tint transition between hotspot and spill. So far it is the closest light I have to being pure unbiased white, closely followed by the SC62d with the 5000k high CRI Luxeon. And while the Nichia 219 high CRI still has the best quality tint overall, I am really leaning towards the MT-G2's tint, which makes the Nichia 219 look very pinkish when compared side-by-side.

I am surprised it has taken so long for the MT-G2 to catch on since it's release in 2012. But I have a feeling it's popularity is going to explode here pretty soon and there is going to be a lot more manufacturers putting them in lights. Likely going to be restricted to the larger light selections due to the multi-cell requirement, and since the emitter is so huge it needs a massive reflector to give any decent amount of throw. But I have high hopes for a small pocket-able single 18650 cell arrangement that puts out ~1500 lumens or so, I mean if Zebralight can make a single 1.2V AA battery work with an XM-L2 emitter, than somebody should be able to make a MT-G2 work with a single 4.2V li-ion.

Anyway enough of my rambling :eek:, glad to see you are still modding stuff, look forward to your next projects! (especially if they are MT-G2 based ;))

The size difference is not worth the loss of run time and cell danger... (IMO)

A 2 cell sized Mag is still a very nice size for the wall of light that the MT-G2 gives. :D

Plus the voltage monitor option is really a nice feature.

I am confident that those who have gotten that option will for sure back me up on that... :)

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
The size difference is not worth the loss of run time and cell danger... (IMO)

A 2 cell sized Mag is still a very nice size for the wall of light that the MT-G2 gives. :D

Plus the voltage monitor option is really a nice feature.

I am confident that those who have gotten that option will for sure back me up on that... :)

I recently got some new 700mAh 18350 IMR's that are rated up to 10.5A, so they could take it. But runtime would be abysmal, especially in high @5A.

Honestly I am surprised I am so tempted by a bigger light, but this MT-G2 emitter is a whole new beast in my LED flashaholic world. I already blew my flashlight funds (by far... heck, truthfully I shouldn't be buying anything besides food, gas and the basic necessities to live) but this is definitely something I will keep in mind. Maybe in a few months I can make an excuse for a birthday/holiday, I did recently get my brother into flashlights and I can only imagine the look on his face when he turns on a ~2500 lumen mag light, lol :faint:.

Sheepdog149

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to building one up for you!
beer.gif

Sending email...
Hi there sir. I'm a policeman, living in S. Florida. I wondered if you would build me a shortened Maglite for patrol duty. I'd like it to be very bright with great spill, especially since I work the midnight shift. I trust you would know what build suits me the best. Please keep me posted. Thanks for your workmanship.

Best Regards,
Rolando Rivera
[email protected]
954-297-4361

jayrob

Enlightened
Hi there sir. I'm a policeman, living in S. Florida. I wondered if you would build me a shortened Maglite for patrol duty. I'd like it to be very bright with great spill, especially since I work the midnight shift. I trust you would know what build suits me the best. Please keep me posted. Thanks for your workmanship.

Best Regards,
Rolando Rivera
[email protected]
954-297-4361

I'm confident you will love it!

Sending PM...